PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Murder Mystery One Shot

Armyguyclaude
2019-09-27, 05:40 AM
Hi all!

I'm a newer player that's going to be doing a one shot for his group. I've done a couple one shots in the past, but while there may have been some detective skills needed the majority of the one shots were based around combat. I am trying to create my very first one shot that doesn't need combat to drive it. I've watched a couple videos on youtube about DnD and plot driven campaigns and mysteries, but as I'm trying to figure out what my own plot will be I know I'm going to be running into some snags along the way. I may not know what they are going to be, and know I cannot plan for everything, but as I come across the ones I do realize I was hoping I could come here and get help from the community at large. If you're willing or able to help thank you in advance.

1) the first snag I've run into: I am thinking about possibly using one of my npcs, who I'm hoping can help the group along with their quest to find out who's doing the killings, is dead and not know it. If I were to do something like this, how could I do it without making it obvious that the npc is dead?

Answer: Make my NPC a Spectral Savant. Apparently they retain everything they once were when alive even their minds. Also they can be good aligned until they kill good aligned people 3 times.

2) How can I turn my now Ghost into a regular looking human being? I realize as a ghost they can't interact with physical objects the same way, but I can either make it so the NPC is never seen interacting with physical objects or some type of magic helps them?

Answer: Use Screen and Nondetection on my Ghost as it will only be seen normally in one area.

I'll be posting and reposting as I come across snags I come across as I create my one shot. If you decide to keep tabs on this post I thank you yet again as I know how difficult a post like this can be.