PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Combined tools: Luxury Product ideas?

Mieko
2019-09-27, 05:41 AM
Hey everybody!

So I'm looking for ideas on some awesome stuff that multiple characters with different tool proficiencies could make. An idea that I like a lot was that jewelry, alchemy, smithing, stonemasonry and woodworking, maybe along with one of the characters being a warforged, could build new warforged. That's excactly the kind of 'trade secret' I'm looking for, though creating warforged needs a forge and stuff and is rather impractical while on the road / traveling. Maybe there's some other luxury product that can be better crafted during the adventure?

Quoz
2019-09-27, 07:12 AM
The questions I would ask are what purpose the project has for the story being told. Is this a one time skill challenge like repairing a boat to reach a destination? A long term task like establishing a base of operations? Will it have combat implications, like catching, training, and armoring a wild animal to use as a war mount? Social implications, like creating a forgery of the crown jewels?

It's also good to think about how much time and resources are being devoted to the project. Will the party need to track down any rare and exotic ingredients or materials? Will they need to cross moral lines, like theft or blood sacrifice? Or is it a simple downtime project, like reparing a strange and complex gnomish crossbow?

Plenty of fun to be had, so find the thing that interests your players and go for it.

Vogie
2019-09-27, 10:56 AM
I do think that you could do some cool things by mixing tool proficiencies. Perhaps:

Jewelcrafting, Tinker's Tools and the various armor or weaponcrafting could be combined to integrate gem sockets into them, WoW or Path of Exile-Style.
Glassblower's tools could augment an alchemist's supplies to further reduce material cost, or with cook's utensils/brewer's supplies to can food, or with navigator's tools to make navigational devices (such as sextants & spyglass).
Calligrapher's tools can augment other tools by creating formula and 'patterns', allowing them to "scribe scroll" for crafted goods.
Potter's Tools can be combined with other tools to can food or ferment beer, or reduce alchemy costs.
Leatherworker's tools can create more than just armor, including specialized packs, pouches or rolls for other tools, keeping them safe and easily accessible. Likewise, Smith & Carpenter's tools could also be used to create crates or specialized toolboxes.
Painter's tools can increase the sale price of other things you create by regionalizing them using the colors of the local lord/nation/state, and allows you to better advertise your other wares.