PDA

View Full Version : A Hypothetical Fighter Change

cajbaj
2019-09-27, 12:22 PM
So I had this idea. What if Fighters were changed in the following way:

At Level 2, you gain the ability Martial Prowess. It replaces Action Surge. This ability lets you learn 2 maneuvers from the Battle Master's list, and you can use one of them per round. Your Superiority Die is 1d4.
The size of the die and number of maneuvers you know increases as you level--1d6 and 3 at level 5, 1d8 and 4 at level 9 or so, etc. But you can still only use one per round.

Battle Master is removed from the subclass list and Champion sucks so it gets Action Surge.

Why make this change? I thought it could introduce more strategy into the different Fighter subclasses and also make the Fighter less reliant on rests. They could just keep on fighting.

Now, I think Fighter is perfectly fine as-is, but I'd like to hear your takes on this hypothetical rework. How would you build a character around this ability, etc.

JNAProductions
2019-09-27, 12:28 PM
I'd make a new class, with only a single Extra Attack, but a greater emphasis on maneuvers.

I'd also restrict what maneuvers they can get, lightly-for instance, Commander's Strike is a HELL NO at-will, since that basically doubles your Rogue-friend's DPR.

The main reason I'd make a new class is so that way players who want an easy go of it still have vanilla Champion Fighter. Minimal rules to know, maximum fun.

cajbaj
2019-09-27, 12:53 PM
That ain't a bad idea. Maybe it could literally be called "Battle Master", acting as an expansion of the subclass into its own full class. Kind of always felt that there should be a set of "Advanced Maneuvers" for high level play, that could be a good place for them.