PDA

View Full Version : Random Encounter Table help

Falontani
2019-09-27, 01:08 PM
Ok, I don't normally like doing Encounter Tables, however the campaign I'm doing this for is experimenting with a different armor/hp system. So I need truly random encounters to test the system. So far it's been going well, but the encounter table I've been using isn't going to cut it for this new region.

Alright so this region is the Eldeen Reaches of Eberron. It is a temperate-cold forest several hundred miles around. Druids are more common while town's are rare. There are rivers and I believe even a lake. I would put the average cr of the zone around a 4 or 5, however horrid bears can call this zone home, and the mountains at the north are very dangerous (frost giants could be up there). So I have a large amount of leeway on cr range. Also within the Eldeen Reaches is a rather large area called the Gloaming. It is a Manifest Zone to Mabar (a Manifest Zone is where planar traits and effects can leak through, and monsters native to the other plane are much more common, Mabar is essentially the Negative Energy Plane and Plane of Shadow in Eberron.)

So I would like help making a large random encounter table with all sorts of beasties. If you think classed npcs should be an encounter let me know. Templated monsters, feel free. If it could realistically exist and be in this area then feel free to throw it in. All 3.5 content is available, if you want to stat it feel free, otherwise leave the name and book(s) of creatures so that I can find them.

The armor/hp system is fairly weird, but essentially: creatures/players/npcs only get hp from their hd at 1, 3, 6, etc, and they add their con mod to hp normally. They add 3x their natural armor to their hp, however loss of this pool (before normal hp) drops their natural armor (temporarily). Armor provides it's durability/hardness as a buffer before touching your natural armor hit point pool. And shields if trained can be used to boost the pool a bit higher. Spells like mage armor and shield can also grant durability.
Undead get the same hp, but use the higher of their cha mod, their turn resistance, or their master's cha mod in place of con mod. And constructs treat their natural armor as both durability and natural armor hp.

While feedback on the armor system is appreciated, that is not the point of this thread.