PDA

View Full Version : A Rude NPC Who Happen To Be A Good NPC

Bartmanhomer
2019-09-27, 01:38 PM
Imagine if the team encounters an NPC who's very rude to everybody but here the catch the NPC is a very good person. The NPC happens to be a Lawful Good Male Human Cleric Of Heironeus. The team tries to be very respectful for the cleric. But the Cleric was a jerk to them. But after the long argument with the team and the cleric, he apologized his rude behavior to team because in truth he isn't really a people person which is pretty obvious. Also the team is a Wizard (Evocation), Sorceror, Bard, Warlock. So the team even the Warlock accepted his apology. How you ever being in this type of situation before?

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-27, 01:43 PM
I’m not really sure what kind of answers you want. Is this a hypothetical scenario or did this happen in your game?

Bartmanhomer
2019-09-27, 01:47 PM
I’m not really sure what kind of answers you want. Is this a hypothetical scenario or did this happen in your game?

Hypothetical scenario.

Luckmann
2019-09-27, 01:48 PM
How you ever being in this type of situation before?Have I ever met NPCs that were abrasive or even mean, but that were still fundamentally Good?

Yeah, that's not even uncommon. It's a very common trope: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JerkWithAHeartOfGold

Edit: It's also entirely possible to be an absolute jerk in some regards and still be Good. Few Good people are Good all the time, and even the most pious, Good person can have deep personal flaws, or commit downright Evil acts habitually, but make up for it in other regards.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-27, 01:51 PM
Hypothetical scenario.

I mean, sure, this sort of thing happens all the time?

Bartmanhomer
2019-09-27, 01:51 PM
Have I ever met NPCs that were abrasive or even mean, but that were still fundamentally Good?

Yeah, that's not even uncommon. It's a very common trope: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JerkWithAHeartOfGold

How did that turn out in the end? :smile:

Luckmann
2019-09-27, 01:58 PM
How did that turn out in the end? :smile:It's happened many times, it's usually like meeting any other person. Most of the time it's not an issue, at other times it stops just short of coming to blows because ultimately nobody wanted to fight and the character apologizes for being abrasive or backs off, but I'm pretty sure we ended up murderhoboing a Cleric of Moradin once.

Bartmanhomer
2019-09-27, 02:02 PM
It's happened many times, it's usually like meeting any other person. Most of the time it's not an issue, at other times it stops just short of coming to blows because ultimately nobody wanted to fight and the character apologizes for being abrasive or backs off, but I'm pretty sure we ended up murderhoboing a Cleric of Moradin once.

Wow. I didn't know it was that common in your games. But at least everybody have a happy ending. :biggrin:

False God
2019-09-27, 03:09 PM
Yes, we've encountered NPCs who were complete jerkwads no matter what we did. No matter how nice we were, no matter how helpful we tried to be, no matter what we did for them. They would be rude, condescending, foul-mouthed, sexist, discriminatory, etc... But somehow the DM still ruled that they were *something something* Good aligned.

We decided we weren't. So we killed them.

The best way to make an otherwise good party go evil, or at least become murderhobos, is to run that kind of NPC as an important person the party has to deal with. No, NPCs shouldn't kiss the party's backside, but forcing the party to deal with jerkwads is a surefire way to turn on their murderhobo instincts.

If the NPC had learned their lesson before the party decided to off their head, yeah okay I guess. But I feel like that's just a setup for the DM to do it again. It's typical bullying rules: bullies will bully until you push back.

Buufreak
2019-09-27, 03:16 PM
Imagine if the team encounters an NPC who's very rude to everybody but here the catch the NPC is a very good person. The NPC happens to be a Lawful Good Male Human Cleric Of Heironeus. The team tries to be very respectful for the cleric. But the Cleric was a jerk to them. But after the long argument with the team and the cleric, he apologized his rude behavior to team because in truth he isn't really a people person which is pretty obvious. Also the team is a Wizard (Evocation), Sorceror, Bard, Warlock. So the team even the Warlock accepted his apology. How you ever being in this type of situation before?

You have roughly described every paladin that I have ever encountered, minus the apology.

Bartmanhomer
2019-09-27, 03:21 PM
You have roughly described every paladin that I have ever encountered, minus the apology.

Well, I would have included a paladin but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of this thread.

Buufreak
2019-09-27, 03:39 PM
Well, I would have included a paladin but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of this thread.

And you missed my point. That's okay, I will be more clear.

As you might have noted from your other thread about the lawful good alignment, most have had experiences in which a paladin (someone who without variants is locked into LG) was an utter douche nozzle. Thusly, the character you have described is nothing new, apart from actually apologizing eventually.

Bartmanhomer
2019-09-27, 03:43 PM
And you missed my point. That's okay, I will be more clear.

As you might have noted from your other thread about the lawful good alignment, most have had experiences in which a paladin (someone who without variants is locked into LG) was an utter douche nozzle. Thusly, the character you have described is nothing new, apart from actually apologizing eventually.

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. Everything I said which is about lawful good NPC described a paladin. My bad. :frown: