PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Defense

Raishoiken
2019-09-27, 04:45 PM
Greetings Playground,
What are some of your favorite/the best defensive spells/powers are.
I've always been fond of Effulgent Epuration. It may not be the toppest tier but it's pretty decent and i like the idea of having little chrome drones floating about to slurp up enemy spells

Awakeninfinity
2019-09-27, 05:15 PM
My favorite spells are the humble repelling shield and Greater Luminous Armor; especially if I am playing a Divine Companion Sorcerer Abjurant Champion. Starmantle and Ruin Delver's Fortune are a close second.

Venger
2019-09-27, 05:21 PM
i'm a fan of pact of return

2019-09-27, 05:46 PM
Empyreal Ecstasy (BoED: Bard 6, Pleasure 7) doesn't get mentioned much since its primary benefit is done better by Mind Blank (which also lasts far longer and comes online only a few levels later), but it's a pretty solid 1 minute/level spell, and Persistent Spell or building it into an item can fix that issue. This spell:
Makes you immune to Mind-Affecting effects for the duration, although it doesn't end any you were under when the spell was applied
Removes (not ignores, removes) any lingering effects of pain, including penalties imposed on you by pain effects
Lets you take half as much damage from all melee and ranged attacks

Admittedly, this spell also has some downsides that can be problematic: it gives -4 to all skills, and requires an easy Concentration check to cast spells at all. Neither is a gigantic issue per se, but it still needs to be mentioned.

I'm also really fond of the 3.5 spell "Undersong", especially in a Pathfinder game that allows 3.5 content. It's a low-level spell (and thus, easily built into an item, or persisted) that lets you use any Perform skill in place of Concentration. In 3.5, this is nice because it lets Bards be better spellcasters without sacrificing some skill versatility, and makes every bonus they buy for perform essentially count double. In a 3.P game, though, it's borderline overpowered for what it costs you: while normally in PF, you add CL and casting stat for your Concentration check, and getting more than that is a giant chore, boosting skills in PF is much easier than boosting Concentration, particularly via magic items.

Biggus
2019-09-27, 06:08 PM
In core: Mind Blank, obviously. Greater Spell Immunity is very handy for those spells like Blasphemy and Maze which are otherwise very hard to defend against. Shapechange gives you almost limitless defensive options.

In SpC: Clerics can boost saves into the stratosphere by combining Superior Resistance with Recitation and (Mass) Conviction (this latter one doesn't work with Mind Blank though). Veil of Undeath gives you the undead's long list of immunities: it's an Evil spell though. The good-aligned can get some of its benefits from Sheltered Vitality. Fortunate Fate is a contingent Heal which auto-triggers if you take enough damage to kill you. Energy Immunity makes you completely impervious to one energy type. Mass Death Ward is pretty good against enemy spellcasters.

Paladins get Favor of the Martyr, which gives a long list of immunities (some of which are hard to get elsewhere).

Wizards and Sorcerers get Superior Invisibility, which makes you basically impossible to detect except by True Seeing (so just make sure you stay over 120ft away from anyone who has it). Greater Anticipate Teleportation gives you plenty of warning of incoming enemies. Forceward and Ray Deflection for those hard-to-resist force attacks and RTAs. Ruin Delver's Fortune is very handy for Sorcerers and Bards, especially as it's an immediate action.

Greater Mirror Image from PHB2 is also an immediate action and can be a lifesaver in some situations.

EDIT: good call on Empyreal Ecstasy, the fact that pre-existing mind-affecting spells aren't negated means that it can be combined with things like Conviction and (Persisted) Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, unlike Mind Blank.

EDIT 2: oh yes, and a Cleric with the Ability Enhancer feat can combine Bear's Endurance, Greater Visage of the Deity, Righteous Might and Aura of Vitality (via the no-XP version of Miracle) for a total of +22 Constitution, or +24 if Ability Enhancer affects Miracle when simulating Aura of Vitality.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-09-27, 07:57 PM
Starmantle Cloak, BoED, plus Selective Spell: Antimagic Field. Every weapon that hits you, including natural weapons, is automatically destroyed unless it somehow still counts as magical inside an AMF.

Snowsight (Ranger/Druid 1) plus Obscuring Snow (Cleric/Druid/Sor/Wiz 2). Each lasts an hour per level, both are in Frostburn. I honestly don’t know what the guys who wrote it were thinking. The party can all chip in 2k gp for 1st level pearls of power and going in thirds on lesser rods of extend spell, and the Druid can put Extended Snowsight on everyone for only one 1st level spell slot.

Get a 6th level pearl of power and a standard metamagic rod of extend spell. Every other day prepare Energy Immunity twice, use the rod and pearl to cast it three times. Each lasts 48 hours. On the days in between, prepare Energy Immunity and Superior Resistance each once, use the rod to cast those and the pearl and rod to cast Energy Immunity a second time. Those also last 48 hours. For two 6th level spells per day and those two items, you’re immune to all five energy types and get a +6 resistance bonus to your saving throws.

tiercel
2019-09-28, 03:54 AM
On the humble end of things is the 1st level resurgence. Arguably, it’s more defense-in-depth since it only applies to a situation where someone has already failed a save against a magical effect, but getting a second chance is actually a really, really handy effect — and fits very nicely into a cheap wand that any UMD-er, much less anyone with access to the Cleric or Paladin spell lists, should probably want to be packing.

On the more broken end there is greater mirror image — which is somehow not only 2 spell levels lower than Quickened mirror image but also strictly superior to it (immediate, not swift, and regenerates — and oh yeah, doesn’t require you to pay for access to Quicken Spell) — as well as the infamous Conjurer Abrupt Jaunt ACF, which is in at least some ways arguably comparable to greater mirror image and is accessible multiple times per day from level 1.

(Bog-standard mirror image is already a very strong defensive buff, especially for its level.)

Don’t even get me started on celerity.

Quertus
2019-09-29, 12:42 PM
Nobody's said Contingency yet? Or did I miss it?

I've always been fond of Effulgent Epuration.

Is Quertus (my signature academia mage, for whom this account is named) the only one who is incensed by the lack of credit given to these spells' creators? Back in our day, they called that "plagiarism", or so the bespectacled sage will claim.

On the humble end of things is the 1st level resurgence. Arguably, it’s more defense-in-depth since it only applies to a situation where someone has already failed a save against a magical effect, but getting a second chance is actually a really, really handy effect — and fits very nicely into a cheap wand that any UMD-er, much less anyone with access to the Cleric or Paladin spell lists, should probably want to be packing.

Yeah, it's one of the best (cheapest) sources of rerolls available.

Asmotherion
2019-09-29, 01:10 PM
Mind Blank/Freedom Of Movement/Death Ward (Or Life Ward+Shroud of Undeath)/Starmantle/3xRuin Delver's Fortune/Spell Resistance (after a good CL boost)/Shield (for the purpose of Magic Missiles)/Strength of the True Form+Scientilating Scales/Shapechange/Energy imunity/Forceward (potentially)/Contigiency (teleport/Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords)/Stalwart Pact/Death Pact/Consumptive Field/Ray Deflection.

Extra mobility also helps a lot (Xorn Movement and Flying Spells for example) to be out of the Line of Effect of any spell/ability.

Those would be the basics.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-29, 02:15 PM
On the non-magical side of things, Iron Heart Surge and Wall of Steel are both pretty awesome.

Anthrowhale
2019-09-29, 02:30 PM
Starmantle Cloak, BoED, plus Selective Spell: Antimagic Field. Every weapon that hits you, including natural weapons, is automatically destroyed unless it somehow still counts as magical inside an AMF.

I don't think this works unless you are an Initiate of Mystra since Selective Spell does nothing to prevent AMF from affecting spells on your person.

As far as I can tell, the only benefit of Selective Antimagic Field is that it keeps you from winking out if you are an incorporeal [undead]. That's a powerful but very particular effect.

noob
2019-09-29, 02:40 PM
the aleax power of simply not being affected by offence or impediments is correct.

Eladrinblade
2019-09-29, 05:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/IBu19aT.png

edit: and a wand with shield

Ramza00
2019-09-29, 06:19 PM
Blocking Line of Effect and Line of Sight works real well for things that affect targets are harder if not impossible with the targeting rules.

Line of Effect
A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-09-29, 08:37 PM
I don't think this works unless you are an Initiate of Mystra since Selective Spell does nothing to prevent AMF from affecting spells on your person.

As far as I can tell, the only benefit of Selective Antimagic Field is that it keeps you from winking out if you are an incorporeal [undead]. That's a powerful but very particular effect.

The spells on your character don't exist separately from your character, unless the spell has an effect, rather than a target. For example, a Flame Blade is an effect separate from your person, but a personal-range or targeted spell on your person can't be affected by the AMF separate from your character being affected by it. Spells cast on a creature are an extension of that creature, not a separate entity.

An AMF does not block line of effect for spells, any spell cast through it simply ceases to exist while in the AMF. So someone walking around with Selective Spell AMF can still cast spells at targets outside the AMF, but no spell effects can exist within the AMF. Creatures outside the AMF can still cast targeted spells on a character excluded from the AMF's effect as though it wasn't there, but an effect created by a spell will not exist within the AMF unless it's an instantaneous conjuration. Spells cast on a character who's selectively excluded from being affected by the AMF will still work, since that character, their attended items, and any effects on that character are an extension of the character and also unaffected by the AMF.

Anthrowhale
2019-09-29, 09:44 PM
The spells on your character don't exist separately from your character, unless the spell has an effect, rather than a target.

Do you have a rule quote?

AMF says:

An antimagic field suppresses any spell ... cast into the area... and later:
Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field...
Selective spell says:

You can modify an area spell so that it does not affect one designated creature within it's area.
Selective Antimagic Field is clearly nontrivial for summoned creatures and incorporeal undead but antimagic field additionally affects spells within it's area. Since Selective Spell does not apply to spells, personal spells on a selective creature are suppressed.

Blackhawk748
2019-09-29, 09:54 PM
No Protection from Alignment? Really? Well, I'll mention it. Protection from X and Magic Circle against X are both great, low level and life-saving.

rel
2019-09-29, 11:00 PM
most of the good options have been covered. However:

wings of cover > block line of effect as an immediate action. Definitely stops attacks, might also stop targeted effects.

greater concealing amorpha > block line of sight for a fight. Can't be countered by see invis or the like, good chance the GM will even rule true seeing worthless against this.

friendly fire > return ranged attacks to sender upgrades to immunity if the GM considers the ground, trees and cherry blossoms valid targets for the redirect. can be cast as an immediate action for an emergency block or more conventionally for fight long defense.

delay death + beastlands ferocity > ignore HP damage until you are done killing. Make sure you pack serious burst healing, revivify and counterspelling.

Ramza00
2019-09-30, 12:42 AM
Cerebremancer is good with spells that block line of effect, line of sight, and teleport (dimension step is wonderful) combine them with the ready action function of synchronicity and you want as fast as initiative as possible and then use synchronicity to do nothing right before your next turn. Then right before your next turn your synchronicity activates and you can choose to cast offensive damage spells. Why offensive damage spells? Well if you cast simultaneously at the same time as another spellcaster (which ready action specifically allows) you force them to make a concentration check to even try to cast the spell equal to the damage done (your spell happens first) while at the same time getting rid of a threat. Or you can use that ready action to activate a line of effect blocker (numerous ones such as Ectoplasmic Wall), line of sight (Greater Concealing Amorpha), one of the various defensive spells, Dimension Step (teleport you plus 1, 2, 3 etc party members out of the way or closer to the enemies they are going to kill, hell you can dimension step a person who is an attack of opportunity reach fighter and thus extend their range.)

Synchronicity at 3 pp allows you to choose whatever action you want to choose, you are playing like a blue mage in magic the gathering you counterspell via doing damage, or you do something defensive, and if you do not need to do defensive that round you shape the battle. Synchronicity allows you to choose via listening to what the DM says his battle plan with the encounter is going to be and you get to interrupt once a round and say I do not like this, I am countering it before the obstacle in the encounter even gets to act due to how the ready rules work with 3.5

And if your DM allows the broken book Kingdoms of Kalamar the expert timing feat allows you to delay your turn without messing with next turn initiative and also you can interrupt actions of your enemy in effect expert timing feat is the ready action giving you the benefits of synchronicity without psionics. Kingdoms of Kalamar is an obscure book and setting and dozens of things in this book are broken such as a metamagic that removes the saving throw from a spell.

Asmotherion
2019-10-01, 07:27 AM
No Protection from Alignment? Really? Well, I'll mention it. Protection from X and Magic Circle against X are both great, low level and life-saving.

is probably much worse for Chaotic and/or Evil PCs since they're equally probable to encounter something of the same alignment than themselves as of an other alignment. in contrast Good and Lawful creatures engage with combat with each other far less frequently as they have less motivations to do so.

Hunter Noventa
2019-10-01, 08:03 AM
I'm a fan of Pathfinder's Wall of Sound. It's like a Wind Wall, but it does damage to anyone who attacks the wall, even at range.

Telonius
2019-10-01, 08:48 AM
Summon Pizza is always a classic.

Thurbane
2019-10-01, 06:44 PM
Transcend Mortality (CM p.120) Wu Jen 9: 1 round/level, you get DR 30/epic; SR 21 + CL; acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic resistance 50; immunity to ability damage, disease, energy drain, poison, and death effects; +10 enhancement bonus to saving throws; and you do not need to eat, drink or breathe.

At the end of the duration you die and are disintegrated - by the time you are throwing around 9th level spells, this shouldn't be a massive issue to overcome.

martixy
2019-10-01, 08:22 PM
Sand. Plain old sand.

Sorry, saw some Naruto recently.

SangoProduction
2019-10-03, 01:21 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?554271-When-is-AC-too-much
Well, I named it The Armoured God of Ineffable Dodge in my build guide (link in the signature)... People give AC a bad rap. But, it's pretty cool to have almost 9 times your level in AC...at level 10

RedMage125
2019-10-04, 01:13 PM
Is Quertus (my signature academia mage, for whom this account is named) the only one who is incensed by the lack of credit given to these spells' creators? Back in our day, they called that "plagiarism", or so the bespectacled sage will claim.

I'm sure Elminster cares. At least about this example.

ekarney
2019-10-05, 07:07 PM
i'm a fan of pact of return

Pact of Return and a persisted Transcend Mortality makes for an excellent defensive combo

nedz
2019-10-06, 12:32 PM
Dominate person. Then have them confess and plead Guilty.

Seriously now: any kind of misdirection which causes the attack to not affect you in the first place is the way to go. Can't fail a save you never have to make.

Malphegor
2019-10-06, 01:45 PM
I’m quite fond of transmuting or otherwise popping up solid barriers to protect me from spells, either in the bonus to AC in the rarely used cover rules, or blocking line of sight or spell effects.

It does get a BIT weird playing a fantasy wizard like it’s a cover based third person shooter but hey ho.