PDA

View Full Version : Some Help on a system

BRC
2007-10-15, 04:51 PM
Right now I'm working on a mad-scientist type base class to use in my group's next campaign. It proably wouldn't work with a different group, but ours is preety laid back, and were more focused on whats fun than anything.
I may post the class at some point, but first I want to finalize it.
The class has two main features, Devices, which are equipment the Mad-Scientist builds, Think Flaming Chainsaws, death rays, Rocket Boots ect. The other feature is Creatures.
Ive figured out how devices are going to work, and my DM is okay with it.

What I havn't figured out is creatures, Which I want in terms of purpose, to be kind of like a Druid's animal companion, Except rather then it being an animal the character befriended in the forest, it's somthing the character strapped to a slab and put a bolt of lightning through, just to see if it would work. I could go the route of finding somthing in a monster manual that seems appropriate and going with that, using the rules for creating one.
However, if possible I would like to avoid that, so here's what I'm looking for:
A system that would allow
A Variety of creatures, constructs, oozes, a dire ape's body with the wings of a Hippogryph and the head of a basalisk. The more versitile the system the better
B: The Creature should have some method of increasing in power, you can refer to it on a level by level basis, though it may neccisarily end up like that. Bonus Points if you have a method by which an individual statistic of the creature can be upgraded (Party kills a drake, Character takes flame organ back to his lab and adds it too his creature, creature can now breath fire.)
C: It should include some limit to tie it to the level of the character, maybe no more HD than the ECL of the character or somthing.
E: Bonus points if you can make it work for the character having multiple creatures.
F: A method to determine the cost/DC of creating these creatures.
As I said, I'm preety much planning to use this class personally, and I'm too lazy to go hunting for exploits, or even to use blatant ones, so feel free to leave some things open to DM discretion, It dosn't have to be very well balanced, but it shouldn't be overpowered to PunPunian proportions, or so limiting that I might as well be playing a samurai. You don't even have to have a whole system , just part of one that I can fill in the blanks with.

Thanks to anybody who feels like helping.