PDA

View Full Version : Best Melee Charcter?

Kronos
2007-10-15, 04:54 PM
Half-Dragon Thri-Kreen Fighter/Psychic Warrior/Barbarian
These guys are rather ridiculous; first, their total level adjustment equals +5, and they have a pair of racial hit dice, so if you want him to start with a class level, he has to be at least level eight.
But, that aside, he enjoys a very large number of cool bonuses. Lets start with their total ability modifiers, which are: +10 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +0 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom and –2 Charisma.
Looking nice? Yes, but not worth the level adjustment? Well, we haven’t gotten to the good stuff yet.
Now we have to remember; these guys have four arms. This means, among other things, four bastard swords. Yes, I know about the big attack penalties; they almost expend all he gets from his strength bonus, but that’s four weapons throwing out something between 1d10+5/1d10+2/1d10+5/1d10+2/1d6+2* and 1d10+9/1d10+4/1d10+9/1d10+4/1d6+4* without any magic, whether from items or otherwise; sure, you can use short swords, if you prefer attack over damage… but I don’t (of course, that extra damage is sorta insignificant for things on this level, but I still prefer B Swords, if only for aesthetic reasons).
His attack (at ECL 8) would look something like this (assuming a base strength of fourteen) +6/+6/+6/+6/+3*; then you add his increased speed (which could mean 30 ft. in full plate or 50 ft. in light armor for barbarian) and his +7 natural armor (and those other things, like +30 jump, immunities, breath weapon, poison, Deflect Arrows, Hide check bonus, psi-like abilities and boost to racial hit dice and skills for being a half-dragon) and you have an incredible piece of cheese.
Now let’s look at the benefits from each class choice:
First is my favorite, the H-D T-K Fighter. Why? Because the bonus feats really help him pull it off; the exotic weapon proficiency (if your going with the B swords [or waraxes, or some other exotic weapon]), weapon focus, multi-weapon fighting, ability focus (if you really want to make use of his breath weapon and poison; if you don’t mind letting those abilities rot, then don’t bother), weapon specialization (+8 damage if all the attacks hit) and all that other stuff.
The Psychic Warrior is also a fine choice; however, the decreased attack is a killer, and in my opinion he just doesn’t get feats fast enough. Still, carefully picked psionic abilities might make up for that… but without the base attack bonus, you’ll end up with fewer swings than you could have.
And finally we have the barbarian. No bonus feats, but even greater strength from rage, and some (much needed) hit points, even faster and better jumper, dodging, trap sense and ultimately damage reduction. It’s a hard one, with the lack of feats, but cool nonetheless.
*The last one is his bite attack; also remember that it has poison.

A high constitution score is essential to pull this off, but if you get that, the only truly irritating things are his lack of base attack bonus (even if you don’t take psychic warrior) and the fact that you would have to begin at level seven minimum… but then, some good house rules should be able to tackle that fairly easily.

EDIT: And yes, I am fully aware that there is better cheese out there, but, besides not having an entirely large collection of supplements, I'd rather make something a good DM would give you a small chance of playing.

Nebo_
2007-10-15, 05:03 PM
Give me class levels any day.

Zincorium
2007-10-15, 05:06 PM
First off, a level adjustment of 5 means, among other things, a -5 to all of attacks due to a lost (barbarian) attack bonus, which negates any benefit you're getting from strength. And because you're five hit dice down, you're honestly a bit of a glass cannon, even if you max out constitution your hit points will be significantly lower than you'd have otherwise. Level adjustment really is as bad as they say.

Second: Your bonus damage is very low compared to most, and your damage on a charge, standard action attack, or attack of opportunity is downright terrible. You're picking bastard swords and weapon specialization for something that's supposed to be the best melee character?

Solutions: DROP half dragon, it ain't worth it, and use the non-psionic thri-keen variant from savage species, for only 1 LA. If you want more, take feral or mineral warrior.

Pick a martial adept class. Seriously. The increased options alone are worth it. Barbarian for a single level for rage and possibly pounce isn't bad. Use a big two handed sword or whatever and get 2.5x your strength on each hit.

Lastly, if you're considering asking for special house rules just so you can play your character without dying, 'Best' is not a good claim to start out with.

Hyfigh
2007-10-15, 05:14 PM
You mean the best melee character you've made, or are you trying to take the title of being the best melee character you've seen made?

Kronos
2007-10-15, 05:25 PM
Yes, alright, I missed on a few points.
Honestly, I'm only doing this because my D&D partners keep putting off playing, but I seriously want to make a character who can pull off as many attacks as possible, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but by level 21 this guy should be able to manage around 12 or 13 attacks.
And besides that, I'm talking about house rules for starting this guy at level 1 and working him up to that point.
Sorry, I don't have Savage Species (or complete warrior, arcane, fiend folio or a large number of other supplements)
Which one has this martial adept thing?
And finally, please remember that this guy doesn't have ANY boosts from magic, item of otherwise.
I suppose, for power-gaming (and just a playable character) half-dragon would have to be dropped... but then I would have to work my head around the 'no breath weapon' thing, among other things.
And, finally, the best melee character I'VE made; I am well aware people have made level 20 characters who do damage numbering in the thousands.

EDIT (I really need to think it through before finishing my post...): Yeah, He's a bit of a glass cannon... if you max his constitution (which would put it at 20 for a starting point) that would be 10 bonus (for racial hit dice), and even with his dice increased to d10's it would still only bring it to an average of 25 (excluding magic)

Kurald Galain
2007-10-15, 05:29 PM
Yes, alright, I missed on a few points.
Honestly, I'm only doing this because my D&D partners keep putting off playing, but I seriously want to make a character who can pull off as many attacks as possible, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but by level 21 this guy should be able to manage around 12 or 13 attacks.

Yes, but only if he can use a full attack, which doesn't really happen all that often. Especially at higher levels, where monster mobility is high.

Swooper
2007-10-15, 05:33 PM
12 or 13 attacks is nothing... I believe the current record is 1497 (someone correct me on this if it's wrong).

Kronos
2007-10-15, 05:42 PM
Well, back to the drawing board, then... well, at least, if nothing else, he looks cool and doesn't totally mess up a campaign by flooding everything with cheese.

Now, if we go with an ordinary human fighter (without PrCs and weird feats; the kind that levels with standard ELs). with about 14 constitution (as a starting point), the Thri-Kreen would catch up (in hit points) by about ECL 18? (assuming he lives that long)

EDIT: and also (as part of the 'back to the drawing board') what about an epic spellcaster with 10 levels in rogue? Or, in other words, with skill mastery in spellcraft?

Hyfigh
2007-10-15, 05:53 PM
Provide a list of sources you DO have available. Maybe some on the boards could help you tweak the build a little more.

Kronos
2007-10-15, 05:56 PM
These are my sources (by memory)
The core rulebooks (or course)
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Complete Adventurer
Complete Divine
Draconomicon
Races of the Dragon
Libris Mortis

aaand thats about it :(

Draz74
2007-10-15, 07:03 PM
EDIT: and also (as part of the 'back to the drawing board') what about an epic spellcaster with 10 levels in rogue? Or, in other words, with skill mastery in spellcraft?

I think there's easer ways to get Skill Mastery. One level of Exemplar or something?

Armads
2007-10-15, 07:23 PM
A wilder with Psicrystal Affinity, Vigor, Share Pain and Forced Share Pain would pretty much never die to hit point damage. It's one of the better melee characters that are built to avoid death. It also can counterattack pretty well, with stuff like Offensive Precognition. It's AC is pretty sick, due to Mental Barrier, Inertial Armor, Force Screen, Defensive Precognition. However, it has very few powers known, and MAD.

Uthug
2007-10-16, 06:52 AM
But would all this be in a PvP setting? Or would it be in a campaign? Because the best melee characters would be different in both situations. It it was, it'd be really hard to maintain those buffs that last for mins/lvl. Also, I'm assuming your're wild surging them? What about the enervation?

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-16, 09:21 PM
Barbarian (lion totem variant, from PHB2, lose some crap, get pounce at first level) X/Frenzied Berserker X.

Feats:
Power attack
leap attack
imp bullrush (prereq)
shock trooper

Sink all your attack penalties from power attack into armor class by way of shock trooper while charging, and get something like 9 to 1 returns for damage. If you can figure out how to do it while charging with a lance and spirited charge and not frenzying your mount, more power to you. Mix in some heedless charge for more double damage goodness. Use the whirling frenzy variant, where instead of con bonus to rage, you get an extra attack. Drink a pot of haste. Rage. Frenzy.

Congrats, you're making lots of attacks at the end of a charge, each with like +100 damage, and you can't die while in the frenzy due to hp loss. Also, rage+frenzy gives you at least 10 str.

[edit]
lion totem is from complete champion, not PHB2.