PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Warlock (Multiclass after 5?)

Genoin
2019-09-28, 01:53 PM
I am at level 5 with my Hexblade Bladelock, and I feel like I have hit a real sweet spot, level 3 spell slots, 3 invocations, IPW, Thirsting Blade, and Tomb of Levistus. I have PAM using a shield and spear currently. Now, I kind of feel like this is a really good point to multiclass. I am thinking of going Lore Bard for cutting words, more skills, and some utility spells. I am wondering though if it would be worth taking my 6th and 7th levels in paladin for dueling fighting style and smites, then going lore bard the rest of the way. Do you guys think that would be worth delaying the lore bard levels? I just feel like after level 5, warlock doesnt feel like it gets much until level 10-11 when I would get armor of hexes, 3 spell slots, and the level 6 MA, because the level 6 hexblade feature seems like it kind of sucks.

So basically, level 5 hexblade, looking to multiclass. Do I go Hexblade 5 / Paladin 2 / Lore Bard 13 or Hexblade 5 / Lore Bard 15?

Chad.e.clark
2019-09-28, 02:01 PM
I would split the difference and go Swords Bard. You get pseudo-smites in the form of flourishes, dueling fighting style, full-caster slot progression, and ritual casting.

Sigreid
2019-09-28, 02:05 PM
I'd go the other way and stick with hexblade/paladin. With that mix I think you could easily be a nearly insurmountable tank.

Genoin
2019-09-28, 03:08 PM
The reason I want to go Lore is for more skills, earlier magical secrets, but most importantly cutting words. Plus a hidden benefit is that the spells from the lore bards first magical secrets, which are 3rd level or lower, can be cast out of my short rest slots.

With Swords the extra attack and proficiencies are wasted.

With Paladin I become much better in combat, but I am looking for more utility. Also extra attack is wasted, unless I can get my DM to let me swap a warlock invocation on any level up, instead of just at a new warlock level. Honestly if I was going to go paladin for any more than a couple level dip I would probably just ask to rebuild as a 1-2 hexblade and go paladin the rest of the way.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-09-28, 03:32 PM
Honestly, if you wanted to smite, I would've grabbed Eldritch Smite instead of Tomb of Levistus, then went Lore Bard the rest of the way.

You're kind of in a weird place at the moment. Honestly, to me, now sounds like the perfect time to go Arcane Trickster.

Otherwise, grabbing a couple Paladin Levels and going full Bard isn't a bad idea. Sorcerer might be the better one, so you can quicken booming blades and such, but Palabard isn't bad. Really, most mixes of the Cha classes will come out fine.

Genoin
2019-09-28, 03:39 PM
Honestly, if you wanted to smite, I would've grabbed Eldritch Smite instead of Tomb of Levistus, then went Lore Bard the rest of the way.

You're kind of in a weird place at the moment. Honestly, to me, now sounds like the perfect time to go Arcane Trickster.

Otherwise, grabbing a couple Paladin Levels and going full Bard isn't a bad idea. Sorcerer might be the better one, so you can quicken booming blades and such, but Palabard isn't bad. Really, most mixes of the Cha classes will come out fine.

The issue I have there is Eldritch Smite is only Warlock slots, while the Paladin I could use with Warlock, Paladin, and Bard slots. I am thinking I will probably go Lore Bard the rest of the way, because I don't really feel like I need too much more damage, our party has decent damage already. Plus going Lore Bard 15 means if the game makes it to 20 I get 8th level Bard spells, and the 14th level Magical Secrets.

bid
2019-09-28, 03:40 PM
Also extra attack is wasted, unless I can get my DM to let me swap a warlock invocation on any level up, instead of just at a new warlock level.
What's wrong with lock 6 after paladin 5?

But really, if you aren't interested in the aura just get to lore 3 or more before adding paladin 2. It depends how many spells you cast and how soon your slot 1-2 become useless.

Genoin
2019-09-28, 05:14 PM
As I said, I feel like, at least for my build, warlock 6-9 are not particularly impressive, I think I would be better served staying Warlock 5 and multiclassing. Currently I think I am planning on going Lore for 3-6 levels (to get some combination of Cutting Words, Font of Inspiration, and Magical Secrets), then I might get 2 levels of paladin

Pex
2019-09-28, 05:34 PM
If you want bard spells that means you want to cast them. If you want to cast them you aren't smiting with them. The Paladin levels are a waste. Smiting is nice, but you don't need it. Your Hex Curse is giving you extra damage. You can cast Hex spell for a little more. If you need a little more combat prowess I recommend Fighter. You get a fighting style right away at 1st level Fighter then another level is Action Surge. If your heart is set on Bard after go for it, but Fighter offers more stuff later if you need/want the combat boost. Next level is Champion if you want to crit fish or Battle Master for Maneuvers - damage and a rider effect. Option another level for the ASI/Feat.

Genoin
2019-09-28, 05:58 PM
If you want bard spells that means you want to cast them. If you want to cast them you aren't smiting with them. The Paladin levels are a waste. Smiting is nice, but you don't need it. Your Hex Curse is giving you extra damage. You can cast Hex spell for a little more. If you need a little more combat prowess I recommend Fighter. You get a fighting style right away at 1st level Fighter then another level is Action Surge. If your heart is set on Bard after go for it, but Fighter offers more stuff later if you need/want the combat boost. Next level is Champion if you want to crit fish or Battle Master for Maneuvers - damage and a rider effect. Option another level for the ASI/Feat.

Thanks. I think I am going to at least be going Lore 3-6 first, but a 1 level fighter dip might be worth considering. I think I am currently leaning just toward going Hexblade 5 / Lore 15

rbstr
2019-09-28, 06:31 PM
Don't dip one level of fighter when you can do 2 or even 3.
To me, if you do warlock 5 and then Lore Bard X you're really delaying higher level features. You'll be level 12 before you get a 4th level spell? So you're really just not gaining much power until that many levels in. Sure, there's benefits, like cutting words and skills. You're gonna be casting lower-level stuff more often which is OK but your melee damage is going to stay ~capped. You're not really gaining much via synergy IMO - more like pausing one class and starting another from the beginning.

If you took warlock to 12 you'll get a ton of decent stuff: higher-level spells, a third short-rest slot, more invocations (smites, lifedrinker) and good archetype features.

Maybe think about just 3 levels of bard before going back to warlock for a while and then picking up bard 5. Or 3 levels of Fighter for a ton of stuff that actually makes what you do now better - fighting style, action surge and a wealth of plug-and-play archetype options.

MrStabby
2019-09-28, 06:49 PM
I would go whispers bard. Bardic inspiration will act as kind of a smite, you get a nice load of spell slots and some other spells known as well.

By the time you get to bard 5 your inspiration will be returning on a short rest and your damage output will be obscene whilst it lasts.