PDA

View Full Version : Never Used that One Before; Weapon Enhancements to Help Your Fighter

ArmorArmadillo
2007-10-15, 04:54 PM
Ever want to give your fighter an amazing Spiked Chain variant? Or how about letting your rogue use the obsidian longsword of the thief god? Here's a little bit to let you do so freely.

Skillful [Weapon Enhancement]
Aura/Caster Level: Faint Divination; CL 5
Effect: Anyone who wields a weapon with the Skillful property is treated as proficient in its use.
Cost: +1 Bonus
Construction: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Master's Touch

Also, there's another problem faced when the DM wants to give the legendary Spear of Destiny to a fighter who has weapon-specialization Dire Mace. Here's one for you.

Martial [Weapon Enhancement]
Aura/Caster Level: Faint Divination; CL 5
Effect: If someone proficient with a weapon with the Martial property wields it, he may apply any feats he posses which apply to a specific weapon (Such as Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization) to it as though he also had those feats for the weapon with the Martial property, so long as the weapon with the Martial property could have been selected for that feat.
Cost: +1 Bonus
Construction: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, True Strike

Prophaniti
2007-10-15, 05:17 PM
pretty good. I can see me using those, especially when we take or find some awesome ancient weapon and would normally have to ditch it because no one has feats for a Falchion. But wait! We can just throw one of these babies on it and free weapon proficiency for all!!
Not bad at all.

Neftren
2007-10-15, 08:05 PM
The 2nd one is basically for fighters though... but very nice :smallsmile:

What does Weapon Finesse do to a martial weapon? Rapiers are martial weapons that are finessable, so a Martial Longsword becomes a finessable weapon...?

ArmorArmadillo
2007-10-15, 08:41 PM
The 2nd one is basically for fighters though... but very nice :smallsmile:

What does Weapon Finesse do to a martial weapon? Rapiers are martial weapons that are finessable, so a Martial Longsword becomes a finessable weapon...?

Weapon Finesse doesn't apply to a specific weapon...so it wouldn't affect a +1 Martial Longsword.

Martial only works if that weapon could have been selected for that feat.
I couldn't see this mattering as things are, but I added it so that if you took a homebrewed "Range Focus (Longbow)" feat, it wouldn't apply to a +1 Martial Longsword.

Douglas
2007-10-15, 09:13 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but both of these already exist.

Skillful is in Complate Arcane and even has the same name. The official version is more expensive than yours (+2 instead of +1) but also improves BAB to a minimum of 3/4 your level but only for using the Skillful weapon.

The Aptitude ability from Tome of Battle is identical to your Martial ability except it gives an additional +1 on attack and damage if any of your weapon specific feats are specific to the right weapon rather than having to be changed by the ability.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-10-15, 09:28 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but both of these already exist.

Skillful is in Complate Arcane and even has the same name. The official version is more expensive than yours (+2 instead of +1) but also improves BAB to a minimum of 3/4 your level but only for using the Skillful weapon.

The Aptitude ability from Tome of Battle is identical to your Martial ability except it gives an additional +1 on attack and damage if any of your weapon specific feats are specific to the right weapon rather than having to be changed by the ability.

Consider it burst...I don't own either book, well, glad to know that these things are not only good ideas, but also canon.