PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ways to get Bastard swords treated as light weapons?

Voidstar01
2019-09-28, 05:45 PM
I'm interested in dual wielding bastard sword (mostly because I can), and exotic weapon master has a trick that that reduces dual wielding penalties by 1 (so -1/-1) but requires the exotic weapon be light. So... any way to accomplish this?

heavyfuel
2019-09-28, 06:10 PM
Feycraft Weapon from DMG2 allows you to treat any one handed weapon as light (for 1500gp and reduced damage die)

Alternatively, the Oversized Two Weapon Fighting feat would work for you

Saintheart
2019-09-28, 08:30 PM
Corsair 8-9. Any one-handed slashing weapon the Corsair wields is considered light.

Buufreak
2019-09-28, 08:40 PM
Oversized two weapon fighting is the feat you are looking for.

Ah. I see that your problem is not so easy. Carry on.

Ryton
2019-09-28, 09:06 PM
Not sure why you want the bastard sword specifically, but if you aren't 100% tied to the idea, I'd recommend taking a look at the dragonsplit, MM4 p.151. It's one handed but counts as light for finesse and twf, and so it pairs quite well with other Exotic Weapon Master abilities...

denthor
2019-09-28, 09:50 PM
DM may allow this get made of lighter components (mitral comes to mind).

Or cheese factor have made for a gnome when your human(less damage for size, less weight for size).

Do not have books bit bastard sword I think is a 1 1/2 handed weapon and can be wielded one handed as an option. If you take feat it becomes 1 handed lighter weight for smaller and differnt materials would lower the pounds would classify it as a light weapon at 4 pounds like other weapons.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-28, 10:06 PM
Err...

The sun blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade) in the DMG is treated as both a bastard sword and a short sword.

Sun Blade
This sword is the size of a bastard sword. However, a sun blade is wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.) Any individual able to use either a bastard sword or a short sword with proficiency is proficient in the use of a sun blade. Likewise, Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization in short sword and bastard sword apply equally, but the benefits of those feats do not stack.

In normal combat, the glowing golden blade of the weapon is equal to a +2 bastard sword. Against evil creatures, its enhancement bonus is +4. Against Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead creatures, the sword deals double damage (and ×3 on a critical hit instead of the usual ×2).

The blade also has a special sunlight power. Once per day, the wielder can swing the blade vigorously above her head while speaking a command word. The sunblade then sheds a bright yellow radiance that is like full daylight. The radiance begins shining in a 10-foot radius around the sword wielder and extends outward at 5 feet per round for 10 rounds thereafter, to create a globe of light with a 60-foot radius. When the wielder stops swinging, the radiance fades to a dim glow that persists for another minute before disappearing entirely. All sun blades are of good alignment, and any evil creature attempting to wield one gains one negative level. The negative level remains as long as the sword is in hand and disappears when the sword is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the sword is wielded.

Moderate evocation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, daylight, creator must be good; Price 50,335 gp; Cost 25,335 gp + 2,000 XP.

Take the +2 off, swap for a +1, and add greater magic weapon from a tooth of Leraje to make it a +5.

sleepyphoenixx
2019-09-29, 12:09 AM
Take the +2 off, swap for a +1, and add greater magic weapon from a tooth of Leraje to make it a +5.

If all you're after is the "treated as a short sword" part you can get the legacy weapon version from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft for 3k gp or so.

Ramza00
2019-09-29, 12:21 AM
Links a handbook someone made recently on bastard swords. I am giving you the full link in case you see something interested in it that you like.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?598167

And here is a specific reply I did to that handbook that answers your question.

I am away from books right now but Expedition to Castle Ravenloft had a Weapon of Legacy called the Sunsword.

For 3000 GP and not activating the WOL ritual you get a +1 Bastard Sword but there was special text where you could treat it as a short sword for Weapon Profiencies. If I recall this was good if you did not have EWP but also for TWF as an off hand.

The Expedition to Castle Ravenloft item (page 218) is called a Sunsword not a Sun Blade. But cool I never noticed the DMG similar item before. I am at my books now and I see something I did not mention earlier, the 3,000 GP version that is a +1 bastard sword and does not require a ritual of Weapon of Legacy (it is just a magic item anyone can use), only good characters can wield it like a short sword and get the benefits of bastard sword. Neutral and Evil creatures do not get this benefit. That and it has an "omen" where it glows brighter like Sting when it is near an Undead. [Aka a hook trying to convince you to do the Weapon of Legacy Ritual.]

But yeah thank you OP Saintheart.

A Short Sword is a Light Weapon and now you can Exotic Weapon Profiency Bastard Sword + TWF to use the Bastard Sword as one handed weapon and the Sunsword Bastard Sword as a light weapon and take only -2 / -2.

And this is before Exotic Weapon Master. That said Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting is not that good of a feat for it is only +1 to your attacks effectively weapon focus. For example knowledge devotion with no knowledge skills invested in it and thus a check result always 15 or below 15 gives you +1 insight bonus to attack and damage. I repeat a knowledge roll of 1 still gives you a +1 insight bonus to attack and damage.

Voidstar01
2019-09-29, 12:43 AM
I have that handbook bookmarked already, kinda forgot about the sunsword/blades, and that fact that's it's bad doesn't really bother me, the bastard sword is just my favourite weapon in the game for some reason and I wan't to wield 2 at once.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-29, 12:48 AM
I have that handbook bookmarked already, kinda forgot about the sunsword/blades, and that fact that's it's bad doesn't really bother me, the bastard sword is just my favourite weapon in the game for some reason and I wan't to wield 2 at once.You could be a thri-kreen and two-hand dual-wield them.

Voidstar01
2019-09-29, 12:54 AM
You could be a thri-kreen and two-hand dual-wield them.

Unless that lets me treat them as light it still doesn't actually let me proc exotic TWF, though I probably still will because two handing them lets me do the exotic power attack thing for big damage.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-29, 01:18 AM
Unless that lets me treat them as light it still doesn't actually let me proc exotic TWF, though I probably still will because two handing them lets me do the exotic power attack thing for big damage.6,000 gp for two legacy sun blades. Feel free to continue to enhance them however you want from there.

Are there any feats that allow you to treat a larger weapon as a light weapon? Because aptitude weapons are a thing, as well, and aptitude is a fantastic weapon quality, and it works regardless of your weapon's shape.

Hmm. A pair of +1 sizing/morphing/aptitude sun blades that, being sun blades, count as short swords and light weapons regardless of what shape they are? Feel free to dual-wield greatswords, if you like.

Kitsuneymg
2019-09-29, 02:07 AM
Pathfinder has effortless lace. Its designer weighed in and said that it works with TWF. If placed on an offhand weapon one handed weapon, it would count as a light weapon.

Captain Kablam
2019-09-29, 02:23 AM
Well from 3.5 Half-Giants get oversized weapons, pair it with exotic weapon proficiency, could be flavored to allow it, especially if you pick a feat like monkey hands. Maybe sweet talk him into okaying a Mithral sword?

javcs
2019-09-29, 03:22 AM
I think there's a set of Elven racial weapons in CAdv or RotW that might be helpful.
The ... thinblade, lightblade, and ... courtblade?

Might be able to talk your DM into allowing a variant on one of them.

Blue Jay
2019-09-29, 07:49 AM
You could be a thri-kreen and two-hand dual-wield them.

The Diopsid race from Dragon Compendium was pretty much designed to do exactly this. It wields oversized weapons, and has specific text about how they dual-wield greatswords. But unfortunately, I think it says you still incur TWF penalties as if the off-hand weapon is a not a light weapon.

But, I think a Diopsid could hypothetically wield a bastard sword in its primary hand and a sun blade or Sunsword in its off-hand, and it would be okay.

Or, if the OP is okay with exceptional weirdness and sub-optimality, the Multi-Headed template from Savage Species gives Superior Two-Weapon Fighting, which eliminates all penalties for dual-wielding.

Elkad
2019-09-29, 12:00 PM
So discounting the whole Weapon of Legacy part, and going with just the base Ravenloft Sunsword

3k gp for a Bastard Sword +1 treated as a Short Sword when convenient seems mighty cheap, even with the "Good" requirement.
2335gp for the base +1 weapon, whatever for the Glassteel instead of mundane steel (3000gp if it's the same price as Mithril, but knock the 300gp for Masterwork back off), and then the "as shortsword" if Good (which would get a 30% discount on that part alone).

What's a fair base cost to houserule for just the "treated as Shortsword" bonus, without the alignment restriction? +1 equivalent bonus? A flat fee?

ShurikVch
2019-09-29, 01:14 PM
Graft Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm) - natural weapon is always light