PDA

View Full Version : 5e spell question

Klaus Teufel
2019-09-29, 05:44 AM
Command ('https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Command#content')
1st level Enchantment

You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is Undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.

Some typical commands and their Effects follow. You might issue a command other than one described here. If you do so, the DM determines how the target behaves. If the target can't follow your command, the spell ends.

Approach: The target moves toward you by the shortest and most direct route, ending its turn if it moves within 5 feet of you.

In the above, does your target move just their move towards you, or are they forced to use their action to Dash as well?

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-29, 06:27 AM
Maybe...
I might be inclined to say no. But I could be wrobg...

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-29, 06:31 AM
The fact that it ends its turn if it reaches you implies to me that the creature is not supposed to perform any action other than 'approaching' when it gets hit by this spell. Therefore I can see a good argument to say that it would dash if it could.

Chronos
2019-09-29, 07:04 AM
And most options for Command dictate what the target does with their action, so it's consistent with that, too.

bid
2019-09-29, 02:48 PM
In the above, does your target move just their move towards you, or are they forced to use their action to Dash as well?
Why would they use dash if they're 10' away?
If they need to dash to reach you, that's another thing.

Since it "ends its turn" as soon as it reaches you, I can guess you don't want it to attack anyone before obeying your command.

Nevertheless, I agree that the target should be somewhat confused until it reach you and waste its action on something useful to the command, like opening the door between you two.

HappyDaze
2019-09-29, 03:42 PM
You're basically making them "come here" but the description makes it sound like they do it at their normal pace. There is nothing to suggest to me that they make a mad sprint toward the caster at anything beyond walking speed.

micahaphone
2019-09-29, 10:44 PM
I'd say they dash if their movement doesn't bring them within 5 feet of you.

Laserlight
2019-09-29, 11:20 PM
I'd rule it as they do have to use their Action to Dash. They end their turn if they get within five feet of you, but it doesn't say they end their turn if they use all their normal movement.