PDA

View Full Version : Spells like Message

haplot
2019-09-29, 10:57 AM
just curious as to what other spells there are for long range commucation, preferably two way but not obligatory

sleepyphoenixx
2019-09-29, 11:03 AM
Whispering Wind is one of the best iirc.
The only drawback is that it requires all participants to carry a pound of sand each if they're not in a desert area.

ericgrau
2019-09-29, 11:19 AM
Sending, animal messenger, telepathic bond.

Ryton
2019-09-29, 01:12 PM
The only drawback is that it requires all participants to carry a pound of sand each if they're not in a desert area.

I believe the spell's name is Whispering Sand.

ShurikVch
2019-09-29, 02:01 PM
Also: Interplanar Message (Spell Compendium), Soul Link (Fiendish Codex I), Speechlink (Spell Compendium)

And if you're OK with spells from Call of Cthulhu, then - Candle Communication (Transmutation; Sorcerer/Wizard 3), Contact Human (Enchantment; Sorcerer/Wizard 4), and Mirror of Tarkhun Atep (Divination; Sorcerer/Wizard 4)

StreamOfTheSky
2019-09-29, 03:16 PM
Correspond is one of the absolute best options in D&D, if you have access to psionics. Only level 4, unlimited range, works across other planes of existence, and only the caster needs it (recipient can reply once for each time the caster sends a message)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/correspond.htm
Correspond
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psion/wilder 4
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 10 minutes
Range: See text
Target: One creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 7

You forge a passive mental link with a creature with which you have previously had physical or mental contact. The subject need not be within sight or even on the same plane as you are. The subject recognizes you, and you can mentally communicate with it for the duration (though nothing forces the subject to respond to you), exchanging messages of twenty-five words or less once per round. Receiving a message is not an action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity; however, sending a message is equivalent to a standard action that can provoke attacks of opportunity.

It's literally Sending, but:
+ Lower level (for Sorc/Wiz)
+ Caster level times as many messages (1 round of 25 words back and forth vs. CL rounds of it)
+ No failure chance for trans-planar communication
- The one negative, Int 3 required instead of Int 1...if you expect to get useful responses from Int 1-2 creatures, then I guess that might matter to you

Luckmann
2019-09-29, 04:48 PM
I believe the spell's name is Whispering Sand.Oh, man, thanks a lot for this suggestion. I've got a game upcoming in which I'm a cali****e tradeswoman with a need for long-range communication. I was going to rely on a pair of Sending Stones, but now I'm going to have to ask my DM if I can get a pair of jars of black sand capable of casting Whispering Sand instead.

haplot
2019-09-29, 05:58 PM
many thanks for the replies, much appreciated

Asmotherion
2019-09-29, 07:36 PM
Greater Scrying allows Message to function reliably through the sensor. So Scry on someone and you can both communicate for the duration. Mutual Scrying is both an effective way of communication and nice plot device (learn when a Wizard villain awaits a "call" so you're aware he's droped his Abjurations and Scry on him).