PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Companion is it out there

StickMan
2007-10-15, 05:59 PM
I feel like I've read a feat or alternative class feature that gives and Elemental Companion. If it exists and I'm not crazy what book is it in? If even thinks they know what I'm talking about plz tell me so I know I'm not crazy.

RTGoodman
2007-10-15, 06:07 PM
It's an alternate class feature for Druids from Complete Mage. Luckily for you, it's also part of the Complete Mage excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=1) on the Wizards site. Just scroll down a little when you go to that link, and there it is.

StickMan
2007-10-15, 06:15 PM
rtg0922 your my hero, Complete Mage is one of the few books in the Complete Series I don't own or know by heart. Also not were I would have looked for a druid class feature.

RTGoodman
2007-10-15, 06:21 PM
Yeah, it's sort of a weird place for Druid info, but I like it as a variant. I was working on an Elemental Shaman homebrew class over the summer (basically, a divine caster focused on elemental spells rather than general "nature" spells) that felt a little underpowered without an animal companion, so I spent a while looking for that variant, only to find it when I gave up and started flipping through Complete Mage to look for spells. :smallredface:

Leon
2007-10-15, 07:27 PM
Also not were I would have looked for a druid class feature.

Funny that, given how Complete Champion - the book about divine heroes has nothing for druids in the Alternate features

martyboy74
2007-10-15, 08:25 PM
Doesn't CArc have something along these lines too? Not one of the base elementals, but something else.

Leon
2007-10-15, 08:29 PM
Arcane was prior to the "Alt Class Feature" revolution

Edit: It has Elemental Monoliths and the spell that summons them

RTGoodman
2007-10-15, 08:46 PM
If by "something along these lines" you mean a different sort of critter that follows you around, CArc does have the Effigy Master PrC and the Effigy Creature template. Other than that, there's also the elemental grues, which are like elementals, but evil-aligned and they also have stones inside them that can be used by wizards to learn certain spells (flaming sphere, haste, etc.).

Xefas
2007-10-15, 08:57 PM
Just to throw this in, I believe the Bonded Summoner from Miniatures Handbook gains an Elemental Companion as a class feature. One level gets you a Medium Elemental of your choice, and then it grows and grows as you level up.