PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shard Shunners on retainer and Wererat Lycanthropy

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-29, 02:51 PM
My group just met the Shard Shunners, and made a deal with them. It was a fun social encounter and a good way to deal with Emmek. They payed the wererats to make Frewn's Brews into a hub for wererat, and to drive away all other customers. They also promised them 5gp each month just for meeting with them, and promise of more jobs in the future. Hurray for a great partnership xD

I felt it was necessary to prep for some lycanthropy, just in case. I looked at the lore and rules for lycanthropy and wererats in 5e, and extrapolated the appropriate mechanics. The mechanics only serve to represent what happens in the narrative, which is where the main bulk of lycanthropy takes place.

Like most of the time with my homebrews, I have to stress how important downtimes are in my game. We take a 30-day period of downtime ca. every other session, and it's a huge deal due to the amount of stuff you can get done in a 30-day period.

Luck roll is just a coin flip.

Wererat
You become a Rank 1 member of the Shard Shunners and subsequently infected with Wererat Lycanthropy. Make the following changes to your character:
.You become immune to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage, but take normal damage from magic and silvered attacks.
- Your Dexterity becomes +2, unless it was already +2 or higher.
- You can make perception checks relying on smell.
- Your hair becomes thinner, your eyes darting and your overall demeanor becomes more twitchy.
- You can no longer partake in the Work a Trade, Carousing or Gain a Feat downtime activities.
- During each downtime you suffer one forced transformation. You lose control of your curse, become a humanoid-beast hybrid and go rampant. Treat this as if you involuntarily partake in the Crime downtime. When you do so, roll a luck check. On an unlucky result, roll a DC 11 Constitution save for your target. On fail, the target is cursed with wererat lycanthropy.
- You live in the sewers with your clan.

Remember that only those who embrace their curse can EVENTUALLY learn to shapeshift, so I don't have to add that bit in quite yet. This assumes the infected character fights his bestial urges and only goes bananas once a month.