PDA

View Full Version : Exoskelton, its exactly as it sounds

Kel_Arath
2007-10-15, 06:02 PM
So this idea originated from many places, I'll start with the most basic.
I had a gnome wizard that was quite literaly crazy, so one time he animated a med (maybe it was large, I forget) skeleton and took a couple days crafting and setting up a saddle to ride in it (pretty much in its rib cage)
Then in a campaign I was going to run I was thinking of having big steam engines (like mechs or the goblin things in WoW or Exosuits (or whatever that show was)). Then (not 5 minutes ago) the two ideas collided in my head and I thought "What if I make a monster (well... a non player ability that can be applied to NPC's like a monster) where they can ride in a skeleton like my gnome but have more direct control over it?"

So, first I would like to know what you think of the gnome in the skeleton thing (we never came up with an official ruling), what penalties/bonuses apply, what is he limited to (spellcasting would be hard but maybe stab out with a dagger or summat)
And second, what do you think of the exoskeleton idea? I would use it for some elite units or something where they ride around in a skeleton thats large or huge then when it dies, pop out and kee-haul you.

goat
2007-10-15, 06:12 PM
It's really a type of large, bone golem by the sound of it, unless you want to be controlling it by turn undead checks.

Stormcrow
2007-10-15, 07:47 PM
Somewhere... might have been the 2nd Ed Guide to drow there were rules for undead giant spiders they used as troop transports...

martyboy74
2007-10-15, 08:07 PM
Control Undead seems like it would be perfectly suited for this purpose. Make the pilot wear a headband that let them control that skeleton only; it probablly wouldn't be that expensive.

\/ MM3 actually.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-15, 08:19 PM
There is a crab that as a hatch in its belly and is basically controllable. I think it is in MMII.

StickMan
2007-10-15, 08:21 PM
There is a book for this I think its published by Swords and Sorcery but I'm not sure I'll try to find it for you.

OK found it Dragon Mech (http://www.goodman-games.com/dragonmech.php) is the name of it.

Kel_Arath
2007-10-15, 08:45 PM
Cool, I'm just thinking when they meet the first one, "Aww... look at the cute little necromancer." Then a huge skeleton pops out of the ground all dramatic like (and of course just like in movies/games they stand and watch this 2 minute spectacle) and the necro jumps in and pwns them with crazy skeleton karate skills.

Chronos
2007-10-16, 12:33 AM
There is a crab that as a hatch in its belly and is basically controllable. I think it is in MMII.The DMG, actually. It's considered a magical item: The Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab) (or Apparatus of Kwalish, in the published books).

Jack Mann
2007-10-16, 12:51 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure he's thinking of the Siege Crab, from MM III, page 156.

Fizban
2007-10-16, 12:51 AM
No, the apparatus of suck is in the DMG. The force shielded 32 HD tank shaped like a crab is in the MMIII.

Edit: cuuurse yooouuuu Jaaaaaack Maaaaaannnnn!

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-16, 09:44 AM
Hahaha!! Fear me for I have no access to the DMG, thus I know what I am talking about!!! Muahahahaha!!

Ah yes, Siege Crab, that's right. I don't know how good it is, but you can base your undead exoskeleton off of those mechanics.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-16, 11:06 AM
Alternatively there's d20 future's mecha rules which are also in an SRD.

http://ca.geocities.com/spike_fightwicky/d20modernsrd/futuremech.html

They work better for powered armour than giant robots anyway.

Kel_Arath
2007-10-16, 11:16 AM
Alternatively there's d20 future's mecha rules which are also in an SRD.

http://ca.geocities.com/spike_fightwicky/d20modernsrd/futuremech.html

They work better for powered armour than giant robots anyway.

Oh goodness... equipment slots, I can see it now. "Hmmm... put a great crossbow that pops out of its arm... jump... 'jets'? Right arm has a huge adamantine bastard sword pop out and be usable. Give it a head spike and some other stuff." That would almost be as bad as my modified elven forest walker...