PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph any object question

AthasianWarlock
2019-09-29, 08:20 PM
If you polymoph any object an object into a brain of a monster, and eat that brain as an ilithid savant- does the brain still count as a brain for purposes of ilithid savant, or does it lose all "abilities". I am looking for a RAW answer here if anyone could help out.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-09-29, 11:20 PM
It's a corner case. Ask your GM.

Personally, I'd say you can make it -a brain- but not necessarily one with extremely specific qualities. You could PAO Regdar into Regdar's brain and save a fight but turning a rock into Regdar's brain wouldn't work, it'd just be a human brain of no particular quality; nourishing but that's about it.

AthasianWarlock
2019-09-29, 11:49 PM
Yeah I had just taken generic stat blocks of some creatures is all. I didn't say "here's a brain with a,b,c,d abilities"

Segev
2019-09-30, 08:51 AM
Since I believe the question is focused towards the idea of doing this for monsters with desirable abilities natively, just from being born that kind of monster, this definitely is a corner case.

However. I believe - though I could be mistaken - that polymorph effects end when the target is destroyed. If so, then no, this wouldn't work; as soon as you ate it, you'd have a stomach full of whatever it started out as. If I'm wrong, however, the only concern is whether you can get the PAO duration to "permanent." And whether the DM is going to use high-velocity tomes as IRL weapons against you. But if he's allowing Illithid Savant, you're already negotiating a pretty high-powered build.

Flame of Anor
2019-09-30, 03:32 PM
it'd just be a human brain of no particular quality; nourishing but that's about it.

Abby someone. Abby Normal.

Raishoiken
2019-09-30, 04:06 PM
If you polymoph any object an object into a brain of a monster, and eat that brain as an ilithid savant- does the brain still count as a brain for purposes of ilithid savant, or does it lose all "abilities". I am looking for a RAW answer here if anyone could help out.

I've always imagined this to work, I don't see why it wouldn't.
Just took a look at the polymorph subschool article (afb so if the ph2 says different please correct me) and it says if the target is "slain or rendered unconscious the spell ends, but if a part is separated from the whole it remains polymorphed until the spell ends. Since the brain you created wasn't technically alive in the first place, simply programmed to be from a specific creature, it hasn't been slain and should theoretically remain a brain until you're done chomping on it for the ability

Zanos
2019-09-30, 05:21 PM
Should work as far as I know. The brain of a creature is an object.

HouseRules
2019-09-30, 06:17 PM
For my ruling,
It would be that the polymorph any object on a brain needs to be undone for it to count as a brain for Illithid Savant.
However, the duration matters. See duration from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm

Polymorph any object into a brain would qualify, but the Illithid Savant would say that it is spoiled food, since that brain does not contain meaningful memories.

Raishoiken
2019-10-01, 05:43 AM
For my ruling,
It would be that the polymorph any object on a brain needs to be undone for it to count as a brain for Illithid Savant.
However, the duration matters. See duration from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm

Polymorph any object into a brain would qualify, but the Illithid Savant would say that it is spoiled food, since that brain does not contain meaningful memories.

I'm gonna assume the 8th level magic is more than capable of programming in the basic abilites natural to the creature, if not other abilities to boot. It does generate the knowledge of such if you polymorph to the live form after all. It's just a difference between the power to the computer being on or off

Asmotherion
2019-10-01, 06:37 AM
Since I believe the question is focused towards the idea of doing this for monsters with desirable abilities natively, just from being born that kind of monster, this definitely is a corner case.

However. I believe - though I could be mistaken - that polymorph effects end when the target is destroyed. If so, then no, this wouldn't work; as soon as you ate it, you'd have a stomach full of whatever it started out as. If I'm wrong, however, the only concern is whether you can get the PAO duration to "permanent." And whether the DM is going to use high-velocity tomes as IRL weapons against you. But if he's allowing Illithid Savant, you're already negotiating a pretty high-powered build.

i tend to share this thought. This is more clear considering it's a duration (even if permanent) effect instead of an instantaneus one.

AthasianWarlock
2019-10-01, 11:13 AM
i tend to share this thought. This is more clear considering it's a duration (even if permanent) effect instead of an instantaneus one.

It ends for creatures when slain.

Asmotherion
2019-10-01, 12:04 PM
It ends for creatures when slain.

There is a valid arguement in the course of thought that a corpse is an object and a brain that is part of an object is also an object. That said i'd still rule that a destroyed object (eaten in context) does revert form. it's more logical to assume because the effect is dispelable.

liquidformat
2019-10-01, 03:52 PM
I would rule only if it is permanently changed which doesn't seem possible based on the PAO tables, I think the best you could hope for is 20 min duration for a rock into a brain of any creature which would be a no go for me.

Raishoiken
2019-10-01, 11:33 PM
I would rule only if it is permanently changed which doesn't seem possible based on the PAO tables, I think the best you could hope for is 20 min duration for a rock into a brain of any creature which would be a no go for me.
Polymorph x2