PDA

View Full Version : Good, Law, Chaos and Evil domains

Iamdead7
2007-10-15, 06:05 PM
Am I the only ones who find these extremely useless?

streakster
2007-10-15, 06:11 PM
Yup, you are. They could be better, but they're far from useless.

Chronos
2007-10-15, 09:21 PM
I dunno... They're not quite as bad as the Healing domain, but they're still a lot weaker than any other domain. Most of their spells are already on the cleric list (Law gives you two new spells; the others give you only one), and the granted power doesn't give you any new capabilities, it just slightly increases the power of a small number of your spells (really, how many spells are there with the alignment descriptors?). It just doesn't really stand up to Travel, or Strength, or Luck, or the elemental domains, or Trickery, or...

Clementx
2007-10-15, 09:22 PM
They are the only ways to get Holy Smite/Word and the other variations, and therefore the only way to qualify for making aligned weapons. That in itself is quite solid. Compared to some of the other freaking broken domain abilities, +1 CL is not so great.

Starsinger
2007-10-15, 09:26 PM
They also are kinda okay if you're going to make a summoning cleric.. as that means your aligned summons get an extra round of life..

Iamdead7
2007-10-15, 10:09 PM
Align Weapon is 2nd level cleric spell

kamikasei
2007-10-15, 11:18 PM
Align Weapon is 2nd level cleric spell

I think he means you need the domain spells in order to craft aligned weapons... which is a rather specific purpose that's probably not worth burning a whole domain on.

doorknobdeity
2007-10-15, 11:53 PM
If we can get into homebrew territory, I usually have the domains let you turn outsiders of the opposite alignment, a la the Earth, Air, Fire, and Water domains. It certainly makes as much sense as being able to turn undead, or elementals.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-16, 04:55 AM
It would seem that overall, the problem is that there is a plethora of domains in existence, but only a handful that are actually considered worth taking on charop boards.

In other words, the power level varies wildly between domains.

Btw the healing domain's main purpose is, I suppose, being taken by Arcane Disciples.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-16, 01:21 PM
If we can get into homebrew territory, I usually have the domains let you turn outsiders of the opposite alignment, a la the Earth, Air, Fire, and Water domains. It certainly makes as much sense as being able to turn undead, or elementals.

That makes some sense, but isn't it a bit too powerful? The alignments are a mixture, see: so there are loads of outsiders with "Law" in their alignment - you get three types of targets instead of the one that the other domains grant.

Perhaps you could sacrifice Turn / Rebuke Undead to get Turn / Rebuke Opposite Aligned Outsider?

By the way, if you were going to turn or rebuke an outsider due to their alignment, which get rebuked and which are turned? With undead its evil characters who get to control undead - should evil characters get to control good outsiders though?

Sorry to open the wormy can, but hey: it was asking for it. :smallbiggrin:

PlatinumJester
2007-10-16, 01:23 PM
I dunno... They're not quite as bad as the Healing domain, but they're still a lot weaker than any other domain. Most of their spells are already on the cleric list (Law gives you two new spells; the others give you only one), and the granted power doesn't give you any new capabilities, it just slightly increases the power of a small number of your spells (really, how many spells are there with the alignment descriptors?). It just doesn't really stand up to Travel, or Strength, or Luck, or the elemental domains, or Trickery, or...

I like the healing domain. It means that you don't have to waste a spell slot on healing spells.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-10-16, 01:25 PM
I like the healing domain. It means that you don't have to waste a spell slot on healing spells.

Er ... spontaneous healing?

Jasdoif
2007-10-16, 01:29 PM
By the way, if you were going to turn or rebuke an outsider due to their alignment, which get rebuked and which are turned?I suppose you'd turn/destroy creatures of the opposing type and rebuke/command/bolster creatures of the same type, just like you do with elemental turning.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-16, 01:30 PM
Er ... spontaneous healing?

Er, well, um. y'see, er...REJECTED.

Yeah thats my argument and I'm sticking to it. Though I will admit that their are better domains.