PDA

View Full Version : Racial feat for goliath

berserker7878
2019-09-30, 02:02 AM
hello friends,

Xanathar gives some classes racial gifts, very well.
so I'd like to have some for goliath and find out if someone has already thought about it, if so, what feat or feat idea is acceptable.

I am a warrior-barbarian goliath level 13-1 and suddenly I would like to take something other than resilient (...)

Zhorn
2019-09-30, 04:19 AM
There was a list of expanded racial traits made shortly after XGtE came out.
It's not AL legal, but it might suit your needs

Mountain's Endurance
Prerequisite: Goliath
Your ability to shrug off some injuries is legendary, even for your race. You gain the following benefits:
Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you use your Stone’s Endurance trait as a reaction to reduce damage, instead of rolling a d12 and adding your Constitution modifier, you can choose to gain resistance to the triggering attack’s damage type until the start of your next turn. If the triggering attack deals more than one type of damage, choose one. As normal, after you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Kane0
2019-09-30, 04:51 AM
I’d definitely go with rock tossing

CTurbo
2019-09-30, 05:04 AM
One of the easiest things to do would be to boost the Stone's Endurance feature somehow.

I think adding +1 to Str or Con would be a given plus something like-

*When you use your Stone's Endurance feature, you can immediately make one weapon attack as a part of the same reaction. (I'm pretty much getting this from Orcish Fury, but this is still worse as it doesn't grant a 3rd feature)

or

*When you use your Stone's Endurance feature, you can roll an additional d12 and add it to the total hp recovered. (this may seem OP at lower levels, but I don't think it's a game breaker)

or

*You can use your Stone's Endurance feature twice instead of just once in between rests. (again this is strong but I don't think it breaks anything. Half-Orcs are still better)

I could see granting Cold damage resistance through a feat.

If you want to get funky with it I could see allowing 2 handed melee weapons to be wielded in one hand. That would be really cool.

If you REALLY want to get wild, allow Goliaths, with a Str of 19 or 20(you decide), to be able to use Large weapons without disadvantage. (usually this requires a 21 Str or higher)

berserker7878
2019-09-30, 05:29 AM
One of the easiest things to do would be to boost the Stone's Endurance feature somehow.

I think adding +1 to Str or Con would be a given plus something like-

*When you use your Stone's Endurance feature, you can immediately make one weapon attack as a part of the same reaction. (I'm pretty much getting this from Orcish Fury, but this is still worse as it doesn't grant a 3rd feature)

or

*When you use your Stone's Endurance feature, you can roll an additional d12 and add it to the total hp recovered. (this may seem OP at lower levels, but I don't think it's a game breaker)

or

*You can use your Stone's Endurance feature twice instead of just once in between rests. (again this is strong but I don't think it breaks anything. Half-Orcs are still better)

I could see granting Cold damage resistance through a feat.

If you want to get funky with it I could see allowing 2 handed melee weapons to be wielded in one hand. That would be really cool.

If you REALLY want to get wild, allow Goliaths, with a Str of 19 or 20(you decide), to be able to use Large weapons without disadvantage. (usually this requires a 21 Str or higher)

your first and last proposition it's cool, i'm a ****ing mathematical person, and yes take a two handed weapon in on hand it's juste my dream. switch 1d8 in 1d12 :) :) :):)
juste time to break planete

There was a list of expanded racial traits made shortly after XGtE came out.
It's not AL legal, but it might suit your needs

Mountain's Endurance
Prerequisite: Goliath
Your ability to shrug off some injuries is legendary, even for your race. You gain the following benefits:
Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you use your Stone’s Endurance trait as a reaction to reduce damage, instead of rolling a d12 and adding your Constitution modifier, you can choose to gain resistance to the triggering attack’s damage type until the start of your next turn. If the triggering attack deals more than one type of damage, choose one. As normal, after you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

i like this one

stoutstien
2019-09-30, 09:47 AM
hello friends,

Xanathar gives some classes racial gifts, very well.
so I'd like to have some for goliath and find out if someone has already thought about it, if so, what feat or feat idea is acceptable.

I am a warrior-barbarian goliath level 13-1 and suddenly I would like to take something other than resilient (...)
+1 to str or con max of 20
Cold resistance
Add proficiency bonus to total rolled for stones endurance. If the total is reduced to zero using stones endurance, you can make one melee attack as part of the same reaction.

Balyano
2019-09-30, 10:38 AM
Could take inspiration from their 3.5 Races of Stone fracial feats.

Auspicious Marking - Goliaths who can see your skin pattern are subconsciously affected by it. You gain a +2 bonus on all Charisma-based skill checks when dealing with other goliaths. In addition, you can reroll any stabilization check once per turn.

Markings of the Blessed - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when attempting any saving throw and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Hunter - You can roll a second d20 when making an initiative check and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Magi - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when attempting a caster level check and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Maker - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when attempting any skill check and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Warrior - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when making an attack roll and use either of the two results.

Heavy Lithoderms - You gain a +1 natural armor bonus.

Most of those amount to giving yourself advantage on certain rolls.

A bonus with modifying these feats for 5e is these aspects of the Goliath race haven't been used in this edition. I don't recall them getting anything for their body markings, and while stones endurance can be seen as a result of their stony skin getting a +1 AC seems more interesting than boosting a preexisting trait.

CheddarChampion
2019-09-30, 11:43 AM
Markings of the Blessed - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when attempting any saving throw and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Hunter - You can roll a second d20 when making an initiative check and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Magi - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when attempting a caster level check and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Maker - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when attempting any skill check and use either of the two results.

Markings of the Warrior - Up to three times per day, you can roll a second d20 when making an attack roll and use either of the two results.

These seem strictly worse than the Lucky feat.
Maybe a +1 Str or +1 Con in addition?
Maybe call it "Markings of Power," and you can switch types at the end of a long rest?

Dork_Forge
2019-09-30, 12:13 PM
+1 to Con, Cold resistance and boosting uses of Stones Endurance (either simply to two per rest or number of times per day equal to Con), keeps the theming of the hardy mountain folk and seems inline with other racial features (apart from the deep Gnome one, but that's an outlier.)

berserker7878
2019-10-01, 01:55 AM
Could take inspiration from their 3.5 Races of Stone fracial feats.

Auspicious Marking - Goliaths who can see your skin pattern are subconsciously affected by it. You gain a +2 bonus on all Charisma-based skill checks when dealing with other goliaths. In addition, you can reroll any stabilization check once per turn.

Heavy Lithoderms - You gain a +1 natural armor bonus.

Most of those amount to giving yourself advantage on certain rolls.

A bonus with modifying these feats for 5e is these aspects of the Goliath race haven't been used in this edition. I don't recall them getting anything for their body markings, and while stones endurance can be seen as a result of their stony skin getting a +1 AC seems more interesting than boosting a preexisting trait.

i like this idea, use the tatoo, because in our campaign, I change an item on tattoos, they magically appear after an extraordinary martial feat, for example after liberating a big city from a tyrant, killing a black dragon etc.

Zerubbabel
2019-10-01, 03:05 AM
Goliath really deserved some type of cold resistance... Would have made it far more competitive against half-orc. Half-orc Barbarian just wrecks Goliath as an option all day...