PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorcerer needs Warlock level advice badly

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-09-30, 03:05 AM
My latest character is... or was... a half-elf named Merlin (it was a random generator, I swear!). He made it to Sorcerer level 8 before dying... from his own Wild Magic. But he also got a free Reincarnate out of the deal so, despite now being a Tiefling, he got to carry on to level 9 Sorcerer. Then, due to reasons, he and the rest of the party managed to kill an evil-demigod... and sort of drink his blood. For most of us, we gained a lesser power and got to level up. For Merlin, I decided to take a level in Warlock due to having the strongest reaction to the blood magic (seriously, dude has a +10 Con save and rolled several crits to steal as much divine essence as possible).

So, Merlin Pendry is now a Wild Mage 9/Hexblade 1. Considering I have Bracers of Defense and a Cloak of Protection, do I actually need to wear armor? And more importantly, which spells should I grab from the warlock list first, and if I go Tome later, what spells should I get there?

I'm also listening for other helpful ideas or suggestions. The party is solidly evil, but more lawful, and I tend to supply explosions and haste cocktails during encounters, if that helps.

djreynolds
2019-09-30, 03:10 AM
My latest character is... or was... a half-elf named Merlin (it was a random generator, I swear!). He made it to Sorcerer level 8 before dying... from his own Wild Magic. But he also got a free Reincarnate out of the deal so, despite now being a Tiefling, he got to carry on to level 9 Sorcerer. Then, due to reasons, he and the rest of the party managed to kill an evil-demigod... and sort of drink his blood. For most of us, we gained a lesser power and got to level up. For Merlin, I decided to take a level in Warlock due to having the strongest reaction to the blood magic (seriously, dude has a +10 Con save and rolled several crits to steal as much divine essence as possible).

So, Merlin Pendry is now a Wild Mage 9/Hexblade 1. Considering I have Bracers of Defense and a Cloak of Protection, do I actually need to wear armor? And more importantly, which spells should I grab from the warlock list first, and if I go Tome later, what spells should I get there?

I'm also listening for other helpful ideas or suggestions. The party is solidly evil, but more lawful, and I tend to supply explosions and haste cocktails during encounters, if that helps.

Well what would your AC be with say scale mail or breastplate? Remember you can only have some many attuned magic items.

Eldritch blast is always awesome, even more so with meta-magic

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-09-30, 03:33 AM
Well what would your AC be with say scale mail or breastplate? Remember you can only have some many attuned magic items.

It's 15 with Bracers and Cloak, plus a 14 in Dex. I've been getting by with stupid HP from a Con 18 and lucky rolls. With a breastplate, I can have a 17, I think, since no Bracers. And with Mage armor, of which I have some scrolls, I think I can hit 18. I guess with half-plate I'd get the same, but Disadvantage to stealth. So... my plan is to survive until Warlock 2 so I can grab Armor of Shadows.

Eldritch blast is always awesome, even more so with meta-magic

I know it's the bread and butter. And while I know I should grab it, I don't know what else is good, or if I'm doubling down on something I don't need. I've survived thus far with a handful of blasty cantrips like firebolt. It feels like wasting a cantrip, you know?

8wGremlin
2019-09-30, 03:46 AM
You're a hexblade that gives you access to Medium armour and shields

With non magical armour (such as a scale mail, breastplate if you want to sneak) you'll have 14+2 dex +2 shield = 18 (19 if you have half-plate)
with a cloak of protection you'll have 19 (20 with half-plate)

Take 'Armor of Agathys' and 'Shield' this will help with survivability. (you can up cast Armour of Agathys with your Sorcerery slots)

Your braces are ok, but if you can trade them away, then i suggest you do so.

You still have a hand free to cast spells, but you could pick up the the warcaster feat, or a Ruby of the War Mage (magic item, xanathar's guide to everything): which allows you to use a weapon as a spell focus.

it's a good base to start with.
Tactics: you can hexblade curse a target and use Magic Missile to automatically do extra damage, as well as quicken a Eldritch blast as a a bonus actions (2 beams!, 3 at CHARACTER level 11)

Don't bother with Armour of Shadows, you'll get higher AC when you get magical armour and shields, and don't have to waste an invocation on 'mage armour' with real armour, it's always there, you don't have to waste actions or invocations casting it.

Great Dragon
2019-09-30, 06:42 AM
You're a hexblade that gives you access to Medium armour and shields

With non magical armour (such as a scale mail, breastplate if you want to sneak) you'll have 14+2 dex +2 shield = 18 (19 if you have half-plate)
with a cloak of protection you'll have 19 (20 with half-plate)

Take 'Armor of Agathys' and 'Shield' this will help with survivability. (you can up cast Armour of Agathys with your Sorcerery slots)

Your braces are ok, but if you can trade them away, then i suggest you do so.

You still have a hand free to cast spells, but you could pick up the the warcaster feat, or a Ruby of the War Mage (magic item, xanathar's guide to everything): which allows you to use a weapon as a spell focus.

it's a good base to start with.
Tactics: you can hexblade curse a target and use Magic Missile to automatically do extra damage, as well as quicken a Eldritch blast as a a bonus actions (2 beams!, 3 at CHARACTER level 11)

Don't bother with Armour of Shadows, you'll get higher AC when you get magical armour and shields, and don't have to waste an invocation on 'mage armour' with real armour, it's always there, you don't have to waste actions or invocations casting it.

I do have a counterpoint to that.
While the physical Armor is better, it can be taken away.
Mithril Half-Plate +3 (18) and Shield +3 (23) +2 Dex plus Ring/Cloak = AC 26!
+5 Shield spell = AC 31 !!

But, having the Armour of Shadows Invocation means that the PC is always armored since it can be cast at will and lasts 8 hours each time, so three casting a day means all 24 hours is covered.

Which, since sleeping in armor usually isn't allowed, means that even when surprise ambushed in their underwear they (also Barbarians and Monks) still have decent AC.

AC 13 + 2 Dex + 2 shield (+3 magic) + 1 Cloak = AC (15) 18/21.
+5 from Shield up to twice per encounter = AC 23/26.
Boost Dex up to 20 as quickly as possible for AC 21/26\31

After Tier Three, three points of AC usually isn't enough to prevent being hit by the High CR Monster/s. Although, you do have to worry about anyone with Dispel Magic and Beholders (and Wizards) with Antimagic Fields.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-30, 09:11 AM

Question 1: AC with mage armor + Bracers + cloak = 18, AC with Splint + Shield + cloak = 21. So dumping the bracers free's up a slot and bumps our AC. This said sometimes we have a reason to need 2 free hands (Example: Being in Ebberon as a mage is a damn good reason to dual wield +1 foci or 2 hand a foci). So this depends on your campain. If you need 2 hands, eskew armor, otherwise tank up. (Note: I'm pretty sure for lock spells+cantrips we can use our hex weapon as a foci)

Question 2: Shield +1. The +1 is just personal taste, hex for damage or ability suppression otherwise utility.

Question 3: For tome pulls? We really don't care all that much as tome just gives us all-the-rituals eventually. For Lock3? Whatever really. Just pick things you want to dump off your sorc list to learn more higher level magics.

Leave off lock progression till after sorc 11. WM with heightened mass suggestion and telekinesis is so dirty. In fact sit down and seriously consider if you want to give up your 2nd 6th level slot and delay wish for more lock progression for that fat... +5 per EB.

MM got mentioned and is good on non-fire res things but we have better things to do, WM has the unfettered BS that is Tides of Chaos Sray+Hexcurse+hex.

Rukelnikov
2019-09-30, 11:37 AM
I wouldnt take Armor of Shadows, doning a Breastplate or Splint Mail, and trading the bracers for something else seems far better, and frees an invocation.

As some others have said, be mindful wether you want to slow your spell progression or not, if you do, be sure to grab ago blast wt lock 2, the basic combo of EB + Quickened Eb is superb.

Keravath
2019-09-30, 12:06 PM
If you are taking warlock 1 then you will probably want to go to warlock 2 for the invocations, 2 short rest spell slots etc.

I would wear armor. Half-plate+shield+2(from dex) is AC 19. The cloak makes this 20 and you free up a magic item slot. Unless you are frequently attacked while undressed in your campaign then I would say taking the Armor of Shadow invocation isn't worthwhile ... other invocations are far better.

You can take shield and another spell from the warlock. You probably already have shield as a sorcerer but taking it from warlock frees a spell pick for the sorcerer when you level up and they are short enough of spell choices as it is.

At 2 warlock, take agonizing blast + one other. As you move into tier 3 at level 11, eldritch blast + quickened eldritch blast becomes very effective single target damage against difficult NPCs.

sithlordnergal
2019-09-30, 01:19 PM
I do have a counterpoint to that.
While the physical Armor is better, it can be taken away.
Mithril Half-Plate +3 (18) and Shield +3 (23) +2 Dex plus Ring/Cloak = AC 26!
+5 Shield spell = AC 31 !!

Eh? Its pretty uncommon to have your armor taken from you...Its far more common for Dispel Magic to remove your Mage Armor since if it gets cast on you it ends the effects of all the spells that are effecting you. Outside of the occasional Heat Metal, you're pretty safe using armor.

Dork_Forge
2019-09-30, 01:25 PM
What are you overall stats?

My personal take would be to not go Hexblade at all unless you suddenly want to jump into melee in tier 3? Physical armor can be nice but you already have Bracers of Defense and access to Shield, either pick up Mage Armor as a spell or take it as an invocation at Warlock 2. If you do go as foar as invocations then Fiendish Vigor would double down your tankiness.

As for patrons, Celestial is greatly underrated imo (Hexblade tends to overshadow everything though), get yourself a bunch of cantrips, access to healing and Guiding Bolt (which you can twin). Now that you're taking Warlock levels a rod of the pact keeper would be a good item to search for (failing that a Wand of the Warmage + Pearl of Power).

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-09-30, 05:56 PM
What are you overall stats?

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 20

So... heavy armor is just OUT. And, while I agree Celestial is a nice patron... I drank the blood of a demigod of the literal Murder-Goddess. Ain't no healing effect coming out of that connection.

sithlordnergal
2019-09-30, 07:55 PM
Str 10
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 20

So... heavy armor is just OUT. And, while I agree Celestial is a nice patron... I drank the blood of a demigod of the literal Murder-Goddess. Ain't no healing effect coming out of that connection.

Nah, wear the heavy armor! It'll just lower your movement by 10 feet x3. I did that with a Fighter/Wizard I have and it worked fine for me. =p

Great Dragon
2019-10-01, 01:49 AM
Eh? Its pretty uncommon to have your armor taken from you...Its far more common for Dispel Magic to remove your Mage Armor since if it gets cast on you it ends the effects of all the spells that are effecting you. Outside of the occasional Heat Metal, you're pretty safe using armor.
(Thanks for responding!)

Most times in my games, the PC/s will be captured instead of killed (or TPKed) and I'll have literally everything they are carrying and wearing stripped off.

Seems that I "Encounter" an awful lot of DMs that do this when I'm being the Player…

IDK. Seems almost Even Odds, either way.

But, of the two options:
At Will Mage Armor can come in more handy when something like this happens.

Who knows where the Baddies stored the PC/s Armor, shield, weapon/s and gear - or how long it will take to find it...

Dork_Forge
2019-10-01, 02:13 AM
Str 10
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 20

Thematically the Fiend patron might be closer than a sentient weapon pact then? Armor wise my advice still stands, when you already have those magic items Mage Armor is very useful (and can't be taken away from you).