PDA

View Full Version : Action Surge Replacements [Brainstorm, Collection of Ideas, Design Challenge]

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-30, 05:23 AM
Inspired by Cajbaj's post, what possible replacements for the action surge class feature could you imagine seeing at your table?

I challenge YOU! :D

I love the fighter class, but I'm not too much of a fan of the Action Surge class feature. It's probably a player-perception, but nonetheless I'd love to see what the good people of the forum see as appropriate changes to this class feature.

Bonus Question: Let's say I introduced the following rule: "You can no longer take the Attack Action multiple times per turn", would you give the fighter some compensatory damage feature to counteract the reduced damage output?

Composer99
2019-09-30, 06:30 AM
I missed Cajbaj's post - do you have a link handy?

I'm just waking up so I don't have too much thinking power, but I can definitely answer the bonus question, which is: yes, I would definitely give the fighter some compensation if I took away Action Surge.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-30, 08:55 AM
I missed Cajbaj's post - do you have a link handy?
Yup (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?599150-A-Hypothetical-Fighter-Change)

I can definitely answer the bonus question, which is: yes

That was cheap xD
HOW would you compensate, for example?

Composer99
2019-09-30, 02:02 PM
That was cheap xD

Yes, but all you asked for was a yes/no answer. ; )

They would need either an ongoing damage buff, or a use-limited damage buff or control option, or some combination of any or all of these. The damage buff could be in the form of a bonus to attack rolls.

Fighters already have ongoing damage buffs in the form of fighting styles, so I don't know that I'd go with that option, although it would be simplest.

You can see why Cajbaj ends up with battle master manoeuvres, as they combine a decent damage buff with a control option.