PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quotes

Pages : [1] 2

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-15, 06:34 PM
What do you think this is, a house of mirrors? Pop in with your favorite quotes, one-liners, or whatever. Here's one of mine, relatively newly found for me -

"In the singing, shattered midnight / By the coral sands of time
Through the bloody gates of Heaven / Past the sentries in my mind.
Bring about the change so quickly / Bring about the terror's night
Bring about tbe blood of lovers / Bring about the smell of fright."

Scorpina
2007-10-15, 06:36 PM
In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!" - Galadriel

"I tried keeping a diary once. Not chronological, of course. But the trouble with time travel is, one never seems to find the time." - The Doctor

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, eor live and fight your sorrow! Now is th time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

"Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. Its spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on -- none of you are safe." - Batman

"Bugrit! Millenium hand and shrimp!" - Foul Old Ron

Rinquist
2007-10-15, 06:39 PM
"Now you will receive us! We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick!

It is your corrupt we claim! It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies!

Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal. These are principles, which every man of every faith can embrace!

These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior! And those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost!

There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption, into our domain.

For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three, and on that day, you will reap it!"

-Connor and Murphy MacManus

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-15, 06:59 PM
Niiiice ^_^. I just watched Boondock Saints last night for, like, the fiftieth time. That movie kicks so much ass...

MeklorIlavator
2007-10-15, 08:21 PM
Here are a couple of my favorites:
Here's and interesting pair:
"What this country needs is a short, victorious war to stem the tide of revolution"
-V.K. Plehve, Russian minister of the interior on the eve of the Russo-Japanese War(1903)

"The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions"
-Robert Lynd, 1879-1949

Some people are like slinkies. They're not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when they fall down the stairs.

"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to a mind? Our unity is full of wonder, which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."
-The Many

"Mistrust is the tyranny of the individual. Your own kind sees you as a threat. Why do you murder our unity? No matter. The line is drawn. You will cease to be. It is just a question of who will bring your end. Us, or you."
-The Many

Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, "Why me?", then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up."
-- Charlie Brown

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-15, 08:34 PM
"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths are a statistic."
- Joseph Stalin

Sadly, it's true.

wojonatior
2007-10-15, 08:37 PM
fromV for Vendetta
(sorry its a bit long)

V: [Evey pulls out her mace] I can assure you I mean you no harm.

Evey Hammond: Who are you?

V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of what and what I am is a man in a mask.

Evey Hammond: Well I can see that.

V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Evey Hammond: Oh. Right.

V: But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona.

V: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
[carves V into poster on wall]

V: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
[giggles]

V: Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Evey Hammond: Are you like a crazy person?

V: I am quite sure they will say so. But, to whom am I speaking with?

Evey Hammond: I'm Evey.

V: Evey? E-V. Of course you are.

Evey Hammond: What does that mean?

V: It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and I don't believe in coincidences.

Raven T.
2007-10-15, 08:55 PM
See the first one in my sig. It comes from this (http://d2x.home.comcast.net/GrandTour/Varnae/varnae00.htm) story.

Catch
2007-10-15, 09:56 PM
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

— Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

@V Such an awesome parody.

Chaotic Bob
2007-10-15, 10:00 PM
Once more, quoting Richard from his little song "Slaughter Your World" (look it up on Youtube if you feel so compelled to find out about it):
"You see a wife?
I see a widow."

Actually....I'd like to list that entire song as my favorite quote.

Skippy
2007-10-15, 10:14 PM
I really like this one:

"Only a fool quotes himself" - Radikalskippy

Sage of Laputa
2007-10-15, 10:57 PM
My friend and I were studying some math for a test tomorrow, and he came up with a good quote.

"Imaginary Numbers; It's all fun and games until someone loses an i."

Jokes
2007-10-15, 11:03 PM
"Sure, if you believe in coincidences. But I prefer inevitablility. Every event is inevitable - if it wasn't, it wouldn't happen"
O.W. Grant (Interstate 60)

Icewalker
2007-10-16, 12:51 AM
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

time for FIREFLY!

"Drunks are so cute." -Malcolm Renolds, Firefly

"A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned." -Malcolm Renolds, Firefly
(Technically Shepard Book says the line, but it is responded to "now you're quoting the captain" so I label it as his quote.)

"Live with a man 40 years, share his house, his meals, speak on every subject. Then tie him up, and hold him over the volcano's edge, and on that day, you will finally meet the man." -Shan Yu, Firefly

"What'd ya'll order a dead guy for?" -Jayne Cobb, Firefly

"Mercy is the mark of a great man. *stab* Guess I'm just a good man. *stab* Well, I'm alright." -Malcolm Renolds, Firefly

"Ya'll see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun? Now I'm not saying you weren't easy to find, it was kind of out of our way and he didn't want to come in the first place. Man's looking to kill some folk. So really it's his will ya'll should worry about thwarting." -Malcolm Renolds, Firefly

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." -Malcolm Renolds, Firefly

"Preacher, don't the bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
"Quite specific. It his however somewhat fuzzier on the subject of...kneecaps." -Zoe and Shepard Book, Firefly

FoE
2007-10-16, 01:15 AM
"No time is wasted that you enjoyed wasting."
-T.S. Elliot

The_Chilli_God
2007-10-16, 01:24 AM
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
I've forgotten who that was from, and I'm not even sure if that's the correct quote, but it's a life philosophy of mine.

Sir_Norbert
2007-10-16, 12:10 PM
"No-one is ever told what would have happened." -- Voyage of the Dawntreader

"The roaring of the rains of God none but the lonely love." -- Chesterton, "The Last Hero"

"The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract,
By this and this only we have existed." -- Eliot, "The Waste Land"

thubby
2007-10-16, 01:13 PM
"a story without a hero goes untold, a hero without a cause goes unheard"
not really sure where i read it, some book, but it always stuck with me.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-16, 07:50 PM
"What he lacks in smarts he makes up in lack of smarts"
-Xander Harris, making fun of a bully. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Cyrano
2007-10-16, 08:17 PM
Badger: Of course, you couldn't buy an invite with a diamond the size of a testicle. I got my hands on a couple.
*Amused silence while Badger looks on uncomprehendingly.*
Badger: Of invites!

Because everyone must quote that at least once where Firefly is mentioned.

FoE
2007-10-17, 12:43 AM
"Kids, you tried, and you failed miserably. The moral is: never try."
-Homer Simpson

Icewalker
2007-10-17, 12:52 AM
Also, some demotivators:

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

"The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly."

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."

"If you're not a part of the solution,there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem."

"A company that will go to the ends of the Earth for its people will find it can hire them for about 10% of the cost of Americans."

"In the battle between you and the world, bet on the world."

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

"Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here."

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor."

A good serious one. This actually seems like something to live by.
"Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you."

This one has always really stuck with me
"Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else."

TSGames
2007-10-17, 02:54 AM
"Everybody is equal, some are more equal than others."

"I want my name to be spaghetti!" -ATHF

ybn1197
2007-10-17, 03:35 PM
"My mind works like lightning; one bright flash then total darkness."

"Never judge a man till you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you are a mile away and have his shoes."

"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."

unstattedCommoner
2007-10-17, 03:50 PM
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."

If the enemy can see you, your sergeant can see you.

FoE
2007-10-17, 03:55 PM
I want my name to be spaghetti! -ATHF

Tonight. You. :smallamused:

Most. Disturbing. Episode. Ever.

thubby
2007-10-17, 04:04 PM
If the enemy can see you, your sergeant can see you.

true, but your sergeant isn't shooting at you. :smalltongue:

just remembered one
"1 scientist harnessed electricity, a group of scientists created the atom bomb, and there was an angry mob at a scientific convention last week. the lesson? people get stupider in numbers"

ybn1197
2007-10-18, 09:14 AM
just remembered one
"1 scientist harnessed electricity, a group of scientists created the atom bomb, and there was an angry mob at a scientific convention last week. the lesson? people get stupider in numbers"
My college philosophy teacher had a very similiar one:
"An individual is smart. People are stupid."

TSGames
2007-10-18, 06:42 PM
"An individual is smart. People are stupid."

Quoted for truth.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-18, 06:54 PM
"Things come to those who wait, but only that left by those who hustle"
-Abraham Lincoln.

The Great Skenardo
2007-10-18, 06:58 PM
"Where is the Wisdom of one who only Quotes the Wise?" - Maboroshi

Cruxador
2007-10-18, 07:07 PM
Also, some demotivators:

"If you're not a part of the solution,there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem."

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"

"Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here."

"Leaders are like Eagles. It's Illegal to shoot them, but people do it anyway"

"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see them fall down stairs"

"Jesus loves you. Statistically, someone had to."

evisiron
2007-10-18, 07:18 PM
"It's a Trap!"
-Admiral Ackbar

I have lived my life on this principle :smallbiggrin:

darkmars20
2007-10-18, 07:21 PM
"When the rich rage war it's the poor who die" linkin park With Hands Held High

Vella_Malachite
2007-10-20, 04:21 AM
"Of all the heroes favoured by the gods, I hate him the most" - Agamemnon, Troy.

"Immortality. Take it. It's yours." - Achilles, Troy.

And from an e-mail my dad got:

"Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have."

"Anyone here who believes in psychokinesis, raise my hand."

"Think of it this way. If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off."

From a parody of X-men me and a friend wrote:

"Scientific purposes only.":smallamused: - a random kid

"JEAN!! WATCH WHERE YOU'RE DRIVING THE FR**GING JET!!!":smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2007-10-20, 04:39 AM
"I know nothing of your afterlife. I know nothing of your gods, or their greed for glory. But I know this. In days to come, widows shall curse me as they weep. Fields shall go to seed. Sons and daughters shall be sold into slavery. Fathers shall die desolate, knowing that their line is extinct. This night, I shall carve my mark into Nansurium, and thousands shall cry out for want of my mercy!"

Cnaiur urs-Skiotha, Most Violent of All Men

Serpentine
2007-10-20, 04:50 AM
"The difference between me and the Surrealists is that I am a Surrealist." ~ Salvador Dali.
Not really a quote, but "Young Virgin Auto-Sodomised By Her Own Chastity" has to be the greatest name for a painting ever.

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-20, 04:52 AM
Those who seek perfection will find no rest this side of the grave. - Some Imperial Guy in Dawn of War.

Balathustrius
2007-10-20, 05:07 AM
"All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

-T.E. Lawrence

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

-Goethe

"Hungry, violent, lonely, godless: thus the lion-will wants itself. Free from the happiness of slaves, redeemed from gods and adorations, fearless and fear-inspiring, great and lonely: such is the will of the truthful. ... He divines remedies against injuries; he knows how to turn serious accidents to his own advantage; whatever does not kill him makes him stronger."

-Nietzsche

"Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see. "

-Mark Twain

"Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."

-David Harmon

"A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong."

- Anonymous

"Those who are easily offended should be. And often."

-G. Barnett

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know. "

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cheers.

KazilDarkeye
2007-10-20, 04:08 PM
I have quite a few one-liners that I quite liked:

"Duct tape is like The Force; there's a light side and dark side, and it holds the universe together"

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

"If pro is the opposite of con, and progress is moving forward, the what is Congress?"

Or something from Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series
1) "My voice gives me super strength!"
2) "Watch out Pegasus; Florence is coming"
3) "Attention Duelists! You guys are not duelsists!"
4) "It's time to duel - in America!"

Naihal
2007-10-20, 08:46 PM
"When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C. The Russians solved the problem by using pencils. Your taxes are due again soon. Enjoy the privilege of paying them."

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a Courthouse is that you cannot post "Thou Shall Not Steal," "Thou Shall Not Commit Adultery" and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment."

Tarnag40k
2007-10-20, 09:57 PM
"SPARTA!"

as my friend steve once said in Algebra II "I wish they could make a car run off from virginity, then I'd never have to buy gas"

Mikey- "oh great here come the under freshmen"

Austin (while playing Imperial Gaurd in war hammer 40K against some khorne berserker's) " I believe in the tactical advice of the French, to sometimes win a battle you must charge in and take the land"

P.J. "if you ever find yourself having a boring day, just add with extra cheese at the end of everything, if they don't throw you into the crazy farm, it'll at least make things seem more fun."

Chris "freshman" while playing airsoft - "Dude look at me! I've got half a set of camo, beat up boots, no tact gear, a paratrooper AkKwith a broken stock, and a black ski mask! I look like a friggin terrorist, I swear theres an FBI sniper sitting in a tree going, "HQ, we have contact..."

oh and, HI SCORPINA

Scorpina
2007-10-20, 10:12 PM
oh and, HI SCORPINA

Um... hi? Or was that a quote?

*blink*

Tarnag40k
2007-10-20, 10:18 PM
^nope just saying hi to someone who was around when I was last active that I thought that had disappeared

remember I'm the one that was getting annoyed when you were convinced you looked like man despite about 5 different guys saying that you don't in any way.

Scorpina
2007-10-20, 10:25 PM
...heh, that description fits a lot of people. My jaw and self-esteem double act seems to upset people. :smallamused:

I've been languishing down in SMBG lately, though.

It's nice to come up for air...

Tarnag40k
2007-10-20, 10:32 PM
Yes breathe more often, we wouldn't want you to suffocate would we?

Leicontis
2007-10-20, 10:58 PM
I've got pages...
"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling
something."
--Westley, The Princess Bride

"We're all mad here."
--The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

"Don't worry over what other people are thinking about you. They're too
busy worrying over what you are thinking about them."

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."

"When some people discover the truth, they just can't understand why
everybody isn't eager to hear it."

Philosophy, n:
Unintelligible answers to insoluble problems.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
-- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad
trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and
save your sanity for later."
--Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe, and Everything

Painting, n:
The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather, and
exposing them to the critic.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Computer, n.:
An electronic entity which performs sequences of useful steps in a
totally understandable, rigorously logical manner. If you believe
this, see me about a bridge I have for sale in Manhattan.

Be nice to people on the way up, because you'll meet them on your way
down.
-- Wilson Mizner
Two men are in a hot-air balloon. Soon, they find themselves lost in a
canyon somewhere. One of the three men says, "I've got an idea. We can
call for help in this canyon and the echo will carry our voices to the
end of the canyon. Someone's bound to hear us by then!"
So he leans over the basket and screams out, "Helllloooooo! Where
are we?" (They hear the echo several times).
Fifteen minutes later, they hear this echoing voice: "Helllloooooo!
You're lost!"
The shouter comments, "That must have been a mathematician."
Puzzled, his friend asks, "Why do you say that?"
"For three reasons. First, he took a long time to answer, second,
he was absolutely correct, and third, his answer was absolutely
useless."

Every absurdity has a champion who will defend it.

"What is the Nature of God?"

CLICK...CLICK...WHIRRR...CLICK...=BEEP!=
1 QT. SOUR CREAM
1 TSP. SAUERKRAUT
1/2 CUT CHIVES.
STIR AND SPRINKLE WITH BACON BITS.

"I've just GOT to start labeling my software..."
-- Bloom County

Only fools are quoted.
-- Anonymous

An American's a person who isn't afraid to criticize the president but is always polite to traffic cops.

Love isn't only blind, it's also deaf, dumb, and stupid.

"Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like
`Psychic Wins Lottery.'"
-- Comedian Jay Leno

Take Care of the Molehills, and the Mountains Will Take Care of
Themselves.
-- Motto of the Federal Civil Service

In Germany they first came for the Communists and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came
for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then
they came for me -- and by that time no one was left to speak up.
-- Pastor Martin Niemoller

Nitwit ideas are for emergencies. You use them when you've got nothing
else to try. If they work, they go in the Book. Otherwise you follow
the Book, which is largely a collection of nitwit ideas that worked.
-- Larry Niven, "The Mote in God's Eye"

"Some of our friends are for it. Some of our friends are against
it. And we're standing with our friends."
- Mike McCurry, White House press secretary, discussing
whether or not President Clinton would veto a bill

Pete: "Watch that. It'll do tricks when you're not looking."
Kevin: "But if it will only do tricks while I'm not looking, why should I
watch it?"
Pete: "Make it think you're not looking."
Jessi: "Yes, Kevin, try to outsmart the Coke bottle!"

John: "I'm very proud of myself for being the first one to laugh at
that."
Jessi: "That's going on the quotes page!"
Kevin: "I love it-John says something and everyone rushes for computers."
Jessi: "That's going on the quotes page!"

"Pointers suck, and that's why everyone should switch to Java."
-a TA from a C++ course

Consiousness is the ability to make and carry out a decision that you know
is incorrect.

"Infinity is zebra-striped!"
-He'd probably prefer I didn't quote him

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
-- Wynn Catlin

"If you ever want to know more than you ever wanted to know about
bacteria, read this lab."

"Love is the highest achievement to which any human may aspire. It is an
emotion that encompasses the full depth of heart, mind, and soul."

GolemsVoice
2007-10-22, 09:51 AM
There are two things I believe are infinte. Human stupidity and the universe. But I'm not sure about the universe.

Some people do have a horizon with the radius 0. They call this their point of view.
-Both from Albert Einstein.

A mind without purpose will walk in dark places.
-From the cover of the Ravenor novels (W40K)

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
-Form 1984 by George Orwell

He who makes a beast of himself
gets rid of the pain of being a man.
-Unknown

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
-The Spanish Inquisition

MountainKing
2007-10-22, 11:11 AM
He who makes a beast of himself
gets rid of the pain of being a man.
-Unknown

I'm not sure that that's the actual origin of the quote, but at the least it is referenced in the song Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold.

My favorites change depending on the situation, but right now, they are:

1.) "Hail to the King, baby." - Ashe, Army of Darkness
2.) "It's just a wee lil bunny eh?!" - The Sorcerer named Tim, Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3.) "I can arrange that! You could use a good kiss!" - Han Solo, The Empire Strikes Back

Xaspian
2007-10-22, 11:58 AM
"Only two things are infinite - The universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe"
~Albert Einstein

"No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary" - William of Occam

"Either that wallpaper goes, or I do" - Oscar Wilde's last words

"From now on, I'll bend what I want, when I want, who I want." - Bender, Futurama

"Well, I'm back" - Sam Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings. (Last line)

"May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce" - The Maidens of Light, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

That's all for now...

The Great Skenardo
2007-10-22, 12:06 PM
The Cake is a LIE
The Cake is a LIE
The Cake is a LIE
The Cake is a LIE
The Cake is a LIE
~ Anonymous Benefactor

topher
2007-10-22, 12:56 PM
I am a great and terrible being beyond the comprehension of the human mind. I am a god, and to those who do not worship me I am an angry god. --Onslaught

Woe to the conquered, I have found the heart of darkness. -- Raziel

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. -- Verbal Kint

There are also two in my sig. The first is from Life of Brian, and the second is from MTG.

Grug
2007-10-22, 03:02 PM
I picked this one to be my senior quote:

"Hail, stranger! No need to kneel, for I am a comman man as you; except with a crown." -Lothar of the Mound People, Dungeon Runners.

smart thog
2007-10-26, 09:08 PM
Known Quotees

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you have it, you don't." (Yes I know I am a dude, but it works)
- Margaret Thatcher

"upon my death, I desire to go to hell and not heaven. For the latter, I will meet beggars, peasants, and children. In the former I will see Kings, generals, and popes."
-Machiavelli

"How did you turn pizza into matza!!"

-Me, 5 minutes before this post

"But Earl, Karma doesn't have fists." "Your right, Randy. Karma doesn't have fists." "Or feet. Does Karma have feet?" "Karma used me to do its dirty work. Nice job karma"

- Randy and Earl Hickey, My name is Earl

"To fight with a fool, is to fight on their level."

- the sage, Groo the wander

"To err is human. To forgive is canine."

- me again

"If I only did stuff I thought I had a change of doing, I'd never do anything."

- Elan the bard

Unknown Quotees
"Having failed to conquer myself, I can only hope for a alliance

"Ghost stories are no more written for ghosts, then science fiction stories are written for scientists."

" Fashion is something so hideous, that we must change it every six months."

Sisqui
2007-10-26, 09:54 PM
It is one thing to regret not having more time to live and another thing entirely to regret not living what time you had.

The Bushranger
2007-10-26, 10:12 PM
"An eagle is nothing more than a vulture with a press agent." (don't remember where I saw this one)

"I've never yet seen a semicolon that could be trusted." - Patrick F. McManus

Icewalker
2007-10-27, 01:56 AM
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
-The Spanish Inquisition

In this day and age, everybody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Time for MORE Firefly. These are all from the 14th episode, and last one made: Objects in Space.

"You oughta be shot. Or stabbed. Lose a leg. To be a surgeon, you know? Know what kind of pain you're dealing with. They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. That seem right to you?" -Jubal Early, Firefly

"This is her room. Its empty. So is it still her room when its empty? Does the room, the thing, have purpose?" -Jubal Early

"So you're a bounty hunter."
"No, that ain't it at all."
"Then what are you?"
"I'm a bounty hunter." -Simon Tam and Jubal Early

"People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid." -Jubal Early

"With the exception of one deadly and unpredictable midget this girl is the smallest cargo I've ever had to transport, but by far the most troublesome. That seem right to you?"
"What'd he do?...The midget?"
"Arson. Little man loved fire." -Jubal Early and Simon Tam

"He's faster than you. All of you. And he's wearing armor."
"What about his face? Is his face wearing armor?" -River Tam and Wash

"This is really not my area of expertise, doctor. I tend to be putting these into people, more than the other thing." -Zoe, removing a bullet from Simon's leg

"I just feel like such a fool."
"Yeah, all those years of priest training and you get taken out by one bounty hunter." -Shepard Book and Jayne Cobb

Darkantra
2007-10-27, 02:21 AM
Ah, you missed one of the best ones!

"Are you Alliance?"
"Am I a lion?"
"What?"
"I don't think of myself as a lion. You may as well, though. I have a mighty roar."
"I said "Alliance".
"Oh. I thought --"
"No, I was..."
"That's weird."

smart thog
2007-10-27, 10:01 AM
More unknown quotees

A political campaign is a lot like a steer. A point here, a point here, and a lot of bull in between.

You know the world is in danger when it takes 2000 laws to enforce the ten commandments.

The problem with organized religion is that it is organized.

The more I study religion, the more I realize that man has never worshiped anything but himself.

Anything that doesn't kill you will still hurt.

-Me

smart thog
2007-12-31, 06:00 PM
This is for a homemade list, and I thought everyone would like to see them

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" - Martian Luther king Jr.

"A little work with your brain can save you a lot of work with your body"

"gossip is the art of saying nothing in a way that leaves nothing unsaid"

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" Mow Tse Tung

"Revenge is a dish best not served at all" -Me

"Nonviolence never solved anything"- Mr. Burns

Exachix
2007-12-31, 06:12 PM
"I don't have to blow up everything I see. I just like to."
- Waith 5, Lieutenant Kell Tainer

"Attention, Implacable. Be advised, you've just become the victims of Dinner Squadron. Consider yourselves humiliated. And welcome to Folor. Out."
- Waith 5, Lieutenant Kell Tainer :smallcool:

(In the Star Wars Novels)

Castaras
2007-12-31, 06:19 PM
Misquotes! :smallbiggrin:

"Patience is a virtue, lunchtime doubly so."

And quotes...

"Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic."
"Any science that is not indistinguishable from magic is not sufficiently advanced enough."

Scorpina
2007-12-31, 06:23 PM

In response to which:

"Any sufficently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

wadledo
2007-12-31, 06:29 PM
"Most people have many facets, some have few. I myself have only one, it's just really big."

"Men often make passes
At girls who wear glasses."

More to come.

Scorpina
2007-12-31, 06:31 PM
"Men often make passes

I thought the expression was:

"Men DON'T make passes

wadledo
2007-12-31, 06:33 PM
I thought the expression was:

"Men DON'T make passes

......Huh?:smallconfused:
That makes no sense.

Scorpina
2007-12-31, 06:34 PM
...sure it does. It ties in with the whole 'take off your glasses, let down your hair and open you're top button and you'll be hot' theory.

wadledo
2007-12-31, 06:36 PM
But, girls with glasses are already hot.

Scorpina
2007-12-31, 06:40 PM
That's a matter of opinion. *adjusts glasses*

sktarq
2007-12-31, 06:45 PM
RIIIGHT Like scorpina NEEDS to remind us she's hot even with the glasses she apparently doesn't think attractive? :smallamused:

wadledo
2007-12-31, 06:45 PM
My point exactly.

"Had we but world enough, and time,
This coyness, Lady, were no crime."

"The illicit has an added charm."

"Curiosity is a willing, a proud, an eager confession of ignorance."

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so,
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me."

Scorpina
2007-12-31, 06:56 PM

Is that Andrew Marvell?

Om
2007-12-31, 06:56 PM
Some historical quotes that I picked up when researching my latest AAR:

"If God did exist, it would be necessary to abolish him" Bakunin

"Somehow good will be the final goal of ill" Tennyson

"The Great Only Appear Great Because We Are On Our Knees. Let Us Rise" Jim Larkin

"Slumber not in the tents of your fathers. The world is advancing" Mazzini

"By thy name that in hell-fire was written,
and burned at the point of thy sword,
Thou art smitten, thou God, thou art smitten,
thy death is upon thee, O Lord"
Swinburne: Hymn of Man

"The source of every crime, is some defect of the understanding; or some error in reasoning; or some sudden force of the passions" Thomas Hobbes

"Desolation is a file, and the endurance of darkness is preparation for great light" St John of Cross

"The Lord is a man of war" Exodus 15:3

"Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past" Karl Marx

Of course almost any passage from The Destruction of Sennacherib (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Destruction_of_Sennacherib) or The Masque of Anarchy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masque_of_Anarchy) remains highly quotable.

And my particular favourite:

"March at the head of the ideas of your century and these ideas will follow you and support you. March behind them and they drag you after them. March against them and they overthrow you." Napoleon III

A great non-historical quote would be Johnny Rotten's

"Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?"

That's a matter of opinion. *adjusts glasses*Depends. Last time I checked male opinion on the "secretary look" was uniformly positive.

wadledo
2007-12-31, 06:59 PM
Is that Andrew Marvell?

Yes, yes it is.

Scorpina
2007-12-31, 07:10 PM
Ah, I thought so, either him or John Donne.

Midnight Son
2007-12-31, 09:27 PM
But, girls with glasses are already hot.

That's a matter of opinion. *adjusts glasses*Glasses or no, Scorpina certainly qualifies for said appellation.

Of course, I may just be trying to get in her graces in hopes of hooking up with one of those fine avatars.:smallwink:

wadledo
2007-12-31, 10:26 PM
Ah, I thought so, either him or John Donne.

I played it on the safe side, as if I put down all my favorite quotes I'd most likely be banned.

smart thog
2008-01-05, 04:25 PM
"One must think twice to think once" - me

"The only excuse for war is to find a more perfect peace"

"Isn't ironic to yell SILENCE?" Fighter Mcwarrior, Eight bit theater

"I have not yet begun to BOOM!" Harkell Harpell

"The greatest irony is not to see the irony"

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit" - The Shadow

"Beer is the solution to, and the cause of, all of life's problems."- Homer Simpson

"I believe their will soon be a clash. A clash between those who want freedom and those who want to keep others in the chains of slavery. Yes I believe there will soon be a clash, but it will not be based on the color of one's skin." - Malcome X

Zombie pixe
2008-01-05, 05:56 PM
blackadder, waht made rowan atkinson famous:

-Whiteadder "edmond! explain yourself"

-Blackadder (in drunk voice) "i cant. not just like that. i'm a complicated person... sometimes in nice. And sometimes im... NASHTY, and SOMEtimes, i like to sing little songs, about goblins..."

Archangel Yuki
2008-01-05, 09:46 PM
It's ironic, at times like this you pray/but a bomb blew the mosk up yesterday
Linkin park, hands held high.

"The world will soon forget what we have said here....But it can never forget what we have done here."
Abraham Lincoln.

Archangel Yuki
2008-01-05, 09:48 PM
Depends. Last time I checked male opinion on the "secretary look" was uniformly positive.

Well, if not, that just leaves more Secretarian looking girls for me.

I likes me a girl in glasses.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 10:05 PM
I just thought of one.

I never saw the movie, but I simply love it.

It's spoken by Rhett Butler at the end of the movie Gone with the Wind, to Scarlett O'Hara when she asked "Where shall I go? What shall I do?"

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

EDIT: No really, it works.

KerfuffleMach2
2008-01-06, 12:42 AM
"Some people learn through reading. Others learn by observation. And other just have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." - Unknown

Zarrexaij
2008-01-06, 12:50 AM
"You're unique, just like everyone else."
"Millions of people try to find the silver lining of clouds, but thousands of people a year are struck by lightning trying to find it."
"It is better to appear an idiot, to open your mouth and remove all doubt." ~ Mark Twain
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?" ~ Franz Kafka
"Bite my shiny metal ass." ~ Bender, Futurama
"The cake is a lie." ~ random grafitti in Portal
"Now is an excellent time to procreate." ~ Dr. Kleiner in Half-life 2: Episode 1
"Everyone knows that pteradactyls can't stand the screech of a guitar!" ~ Family Guy, I dunno who
"If I die, I'll kill him." Wrex in Mass Effect
"Some people appear brighter before they open their mouths because light travels faster than sound." ~ dunno who
"Blackholes are what happens when a deity divides by zero." ~ Anonymous
"I can has cheezburger?" ~ anonymous lolcat
"Bones are for the dogs." ~ Anonymous
"Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm." ~ Anonymous
"If ignorance is bliss, why the hell aren't I ecstatic, huh?" ~ me
"Assuming makes an ass out of you and... oh, mostly you." ~ me
"In Soviet Russia, you still are not funny." ~ Anonymous
"Beauty is in the big eye of the Beholder." ~ Anonymous

North
2008-01-06, 01:05 AM
You take the high road an' I'll take your wallet!
- Wee Free Men

If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
- Shephard Book

Gavin, are you trying to tell me you don't know how to kiss a girl?
Ancorhead may have been small but not that small.
Kin don't count.
- Corran Horn and Gavin Darklighter

reorith
2008-01-06, 01:09 AM
"ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
the greatest quote evar!

Zarrexaij
2008-01-06, 01:11 AM
"ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
the greatest quote evar!IÄ! IÄ! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

I hear you dude.

smart thog
2008-01-06, 12:44 PM
"Love is a perky little elf who will first dance a merry jig and then shoot you with a machine gun" - Matt Groening

"They can't break you if you don't have a spine" - Wally

"Thank you for calling me a NERD. Because, to me it means, Not, Even, Remotely, Dorky." Professor Frink

"Ye gods! Ye gods! Must I endure all this" -Shakespeare

rubakhin
2008-01-06, 01:00 PM
I love these threads. I'll probably post again in like two hours.

Life is unbearable, but death is not so pleasant either.

- Russian proverb

(And others of that ilk. Kind of lengthy, so I spoilered it.)

Dying is nothing new in this life, but living, of course, isn't new either.

- Sergei Esenin (in his suicide poem)

In this life, to die is not so hard,
to make a life for one's self is much harder.

- Vladimir Mayakovsky (in the eulogy he wrote for Esenin)

Past one o’clock. You're probably in bed.
The Milky Way flows like a silver river.
I'm in no hurry. No need to wake you,
I won't disturb you with a lightening telegram.
And now, as people say, the case is closed.
The boat of love has crashed against the daily grind.
You and I, we are quits. No point in tallying up
Mutual pains, sorrows, and regrets.
Look - what silence there is in the world!
The night is wrapped like a starry gift.
At times like these you stand and speak aloud
To the ages, to history and all creation.

- Vladimir Mayakovsky (from his own suicide poem)

Somebody told me once that it's very simple to die: to do it you've got to breathe in forty times altogether, deep, deep, as deep as you can, and breathe out the same way, from the depths of your heart, and then you'll let go of your soul. Maybe I should try it? Oh, hold it! Maybe I should find out what time it is. But who can I ask, if there's not a single soul in the square, not a single one? And if some living soul did come along, could you even get your mouth open with the cold and the grief? Yes. Oh the muteness of the cold and the grief! And if I die sometime - I'm going to die very soon - I know I'll die as I am, without accepting this world, perceiving it close up and far away, inside and out, perceiving but not accepting it. I'll die and He will ask me: 'Was it good there for you? Was it bad there for you?' I will be silent with lowered eyes.

- Venedikt Erofeev

I know better than you that "world sorrow" is not a fiction perpetrated by the old writers, because I carry it within myself and know what it is and do not wish to hide that fact.

- Venedikt Erofeev

I am a ridiculous man. They call me a madman now. That would be a distinct rise in my social position were it not that they still regard me as being as ridiculous as ever.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Man can get used to anything, the scoundrel.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

"I love mankind", he said, "but I marvel at myself: the more I love mankind in general, the less I love human beings in particular, separately, that is, as individual persons. In my dreams", he said, "I would often arrive at fervent plans of devotion to mankind and might very possibly have gone to the cross for human beings, had that been suddenly required of me, and yet I am unable to spend two days in the same room with someone else, and this I know from experience. No sooner is that someone else close to me than his personality crushes my self-esteem and hampers my freedom. In the space of a day and a night I am capable of coming to hate even the best of human beings: one because he takes too long over dinner, another because he has a cold and is perpetually blowing his nose. I become the enemy of others," he said, "very nearly as soon as they come into contact with me. To compensate for this, however, it has always happened that the more I have hated human beings in particular, the more ardent has become my love for mankind in general." But what is to be done? What is to be done in such a case? Is one to give oneself to despair?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

We must love one another or die.

- W. H. Auden (as well as its more fascinating variants (http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/wordpress/?p=1695), "we must love one another and die" and "we die anyway.")

dish
2008-01-06, 02:42 PM

I've always preferred,
"The grave's a fine and private place,
But none I think do there embrace,"

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so,
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me."
"The garlands wither on your brow,
Then boast no more your mighty deeds!
Upon Death's purple altar now
See where the victor-victim bleeds."

But on a less morbid note:
"I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me."

Or,
"The Laird o' Phelps spent Hogmanay declaring he was sober,
Counted his feet to prove the fact and found he had one foot over."

Though I love the ending of that one, and it's kind of dark too...
"The glass is falling hour by hour, the glass will fall forever,
But if you break the bloody glass you won't hold up the weather.

I can tell you my favourite political/sociological quote easily, it's Lord Acton,
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

But when it comes to poetry, there is just so much. Maybe it's,
"O Rose, thou art sick!
The Invisible worm,
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed
Of Crimson joy;
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy."
...because I like my poetry dark, and William Blake does dark very well.

unstattedCommoner
2008-01-06, 04:05 PM
"You're unique, just like everyone else."

"Yes, we are all individuals."
"You are all different."
"Yes, we are all different."
"I'm not."
- Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Narmoth
2008-01-06, 04:45 PM
"Thou smell of mountain goat."
Shakespeare

wadledo
2008-01-06, 10:12 PM
*snip*

I myself enjoy Bacon (Though The tiger can go to hell for all I care):
"Little Fly,
Thy summer's play
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.
For I dance,
And drink, and sing,
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.
Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live
Or if I die."

"Does he who contemns poverty, and he who turns with abhorrence
From usury feel the same passion, or are they movèd alike?
How can the giver of gifts experience the delights of the merchant?
How the industrious citizen the pains of the husbandman?
How different far the fat fed hireling with hollow drum,
Who buys whole corn-fields into wastes, and sings upon the heath!
How different their eye and ear! How different the world to them!"

zeratul
2008-01-06, 10:16 PM
Oooh, time for me to copy paste the old facebook quotes!

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. ~ Adam Savage

I wouldn't have been surprised if they had voted me Most Likely To Kill Everyone At A High School Dance.~ Kurt Cobain
If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right away according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country. Hold up your head. You hace nothing to be ashamed of. ~ Mark Twain

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.~ Kurt Cobain

What happened was, Canada was the 'good' sibling and we were the rebel cool one, and we go up there and tell Canada that Mom (england) is insufferable and we're gonna run away on our motorcycle because she doesn't get us. Then we asked if Canada wanted to come along and he was all like "Noooo, mummy will be cross with me! *cries, snuggling blanket*" and so we were like "pft, whatev" and then France won the American Revolution. Then later, Canada asked politely if it could move out, but by then it was the 40 year old creep who lives with his parents, so England was like "Yes, in fact I'm kicking you out. Go kiss a girl, for christ's sake" ~ Ocato of Giant itp forums

Dan your sexual innuendos are not helping me to win this fight. ~ my friend

Ah sweet ambrosia, that makes the not so pretty girls look like really pretty girls, and makes the pretty boys look like....well like pretty girls ~ Voltaire

Videogames are bad? Ha! That's what they said about Rock 'n Roll! ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

What doesn't kill you only makes you pissed off ~ Alexi Laiho

"Bring me your finest meets and cheeses!
....That's like totally not meets and meets and cheeses
Dan, you have brought me the mets, and Jesus, these are clearly not meets and cheeses.....and I'm beggining to question where you got the mets, and Jesus....." - my friend

You don't gotta be loud son to be heavy as **** ~ Tom Morrello

BizzaroStormy
2008-01-07, 01:05 AM
"...and when I woke up, my butt hurt and the space turtle was smiling at me."- Nobodylovesyou4 Commenting on Mass Effect

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-07, 02:38 AM
"Hey! I don't tell you how to tell me what do to, so don't tell me how to do what you told me to do!" --Bender

Haruki-kun
2008-01-07, 02:45 AM
Videogames are bad? Ha! That's what they said about Rock 'n Roll! ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

That is one of my favorite Quotes EVER. :smallbiggrin:

North
2008-01-07, 02:59 AM
I don't even know what street Canada is on.
- Al Capone

I don't trust any country that looks around a continent and says, "Hey, I'll take the frozen part."
- Jon Stewart

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material
Senator Ted Stevens

dish
2008-01-07, 04:44 AM
I myself enjoy Bacon (Though The tiger can go to hell for all I care):

Umm, we're actually both quoting William Blake. One of the greatest of London visionaries, poets, and radicals (although, sadly, his drawing skills left a lot to be desired).

'The Fly' is one of my least favourite in The Songs of Experience - I think both its theme and scansion are closer to poems in The Songs of Innocence.

'The Tiger' is one of the best poems in English literature - look at the theme: the nature of evil, the nature of the creator - talk about big. Look at the rhythm, the drama, the imagery - it's just such a wonderful poem for reading aloud.

Since we're on Blake, and the Songs of Experience, I just have to add:
"But most, through midnight streets I hear
How the youthful harlot's curse
Blasts the new-born infant's tear
And blights with plagues the marriage hearse."
(Yay, for syphilis. :smalltongue: )

Now Bacon also had some good ideas. I'm not too enamoured of his views on marriage, but he did give us:
"Reading maketh a full man, conference a ready man, and writing an exact man...Histories make men wise, poets, witty; the mathematics, subtle; natural philosophy, deep; moral, grave; logic and rhetoric, able to contend."

wadledo
2008-01-07, 06:22 AM
This is what happens when I don't get enough sleep, find responses to posts from days ago, and it's late at night.
And The Tiger can still go to hell.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

"Some books are to be tasted, others swallowed, and some to be chewed and digested."

dish
2008-01-07, 06:41 AM
At least you got all the quotations correct, which is, in this thread, the main thing.

"That is the best part of beauty, which a picture cannot express; no, nor the first sight of the life."

"Nay, there is no stond or impediment in the wit but may be wrought out by fit studies, like the diseases of the body may have appropriate exercises."

Why don't you like the Tiger? (Wait, don't tell me here. Is there a current poetry thread in the media section?)

reorith
2008-01-07, 03:02 PM
most of these make me lol hard

"thats why i say hey man nice, nice shot. what a good shot man"

"i htink halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything."

"...you'll burn in a special level of hell. on reserved for child molesters and people who talk in theaters"
the good shepherd

"in space, no one can hear your unrequited love for captain reynolds."

"on a long enough time line, everyone's survival rate drops to zero."

"freedom is the right of all sentient beings"

“he who seeks vengeance must dig two graves: one for his enemy and one for himself.”
an old proverb

"i love everyone in the world. i do. so help me god, i love you, all of you"

RandomLogic
2008-01-07, 03:49 PM
Logic is the systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -Unknown

Mikes are like batteries, easily interchangeable - my friend Mike, there are lots of Mikes I associate with.

Scorpina
2008-01-07, 03:51 PM
"Always bring a banana to a party. Bananas are good." - The Doctor

Gem Flower
2008-01-07, 03:55 PM
"He who is guilty believes all men speak ill of him."
-Italian Proverb

Dragor
2008-01-07, 04:42 PM
"Dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun- come, sing with me!- dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun..."- The Heavy, Team Fortress 2

"Well he's a robot, he's done the math. Er... you DID do the Math, didn't you, Dog?"
*Dog shakes head solemnly* - Alyx Vance to Dog, Half-Life 2: Episode 1

"Peace through Power!" - The Brotherhood of NOD, Command and Conquer

"I doubt she'll live- but then again, who does?"- The Japanese Detective, Blade Runner (I forget his name, sorry.)

smart thog
2008-01-09, 09:18 PM
Shakespeare quotes

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"- Puck, a midsummer nights dream

"God bless you. Lets talk less often" -the poet, As you like it

Simpson's quotes

"Oh wait! I haven't told you the best part. He's not imaginary!"- Lisa Simpson

"Oh, I'm so scared of the patriot act. Its gonna learn what books I've checked out of the library. Maybe it will find out what opera tickets I've bought"- Homer Simpson

"Is there no place for the man with a hundred and five IQ?!" - Homer Simpson

Castaras
2008-01-10, 08:42 AM
Something that one of my friends said today...definitely quote worthy for me. :smallbiggrin:

"Geekery is the root of all evil"

Gashad
2008-01-10, 02:53 PM
Can't remember who said it(I think it was a general), but anyway:

"Britain has invented a new missile, it's called the civil servant, it doesn't work and can't be fired"

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-12, 12:33 AM
I just finished reading 'Skulduggery Pleasant'. That book is made of win.

"Doors are for people with no imagination" - Skulduggery Pleasant.

"You could have died!"
"But I didn't."
"But you could have died."
"But I didn't."
"Look, I'm not denying that you have a valid point, but the fact is, you could have died." - Skulduggery and Stephanie Edgley

"The branches broke my fall."
"How were the branches?"
"A lot unlike pillows." - Stephanie and Skulduggery

"Well done, Mister Stibbons! You didn't mention quantam even once!" - Mustrum Ridcully, 'The Science of the Discworld III: Darwin's Watch'

Gaelbert
2008-01-12, 12:40 AM
"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

This quote inspired my dream to become a doctor.:smallamused:

wadledo
2008-01-12, 03:14 AM
"You see; if I find out what I have, then I can make it so that no one else can figure it out. On the other hand, if I can't figure it out, I'm quite sure that anyone who does is a witch. And you know what I do to witches." - Me, in regards to pie.

"Avenge O Lord thy slaughter'd Saints, whose bones
Lie scatter'd on the Alpine mountains cold,
Ev'n them who kept thy truth so pure of old
When all our Fathers worship't Stocks and Stones,

Forget not: in thy book record their groanes
Who were thy Sheep and in their antient Fold
Slayn by the bloody Piemontese that roll'd
Mother with Infant down the Rocks. Their moans

The Vales redoubl'd to the Hills, and they
To Heav'n. Their martyr'd blood and ashes sow
O're all th' Italian fields where still doth sway

The triple Tyrant: that from these may grow
A hunder'd-fold, who having learnt thy way
Early may fly the Babylonian wo."

Zarrexaij
2008-01-12, 06:57 PM
"I am smart. S-M-R-T." ~ Homer Simpson
"A right triangle has two equal sides." "That's an isoscles triangle!" "D'OH!" ~ Homer Simpson and some dude

Gorbash
2008-01-12, 07:37 PM
SMRT means Death in my language :P

Timarvay
2008-01-12, 08:26 PM
"Never age, never die. Live forever in that one last white hot moment, when the crowd screamed. Burn across the sky."
--Terry Prachett, in the book "Soul Music"

Diakos
2008-01-15, 07:26 AM
"I am become death/time/darkness, the destroyer/end of worlds/all."

Vishnu from: the Bhagavad Gita
Mostly known from J.R. Oppenheimers quote right after the detonation of the first atomic bomb.

"...i don't mind cheese..."

Friend of mine randomly spouted this

"when the winds of change are blowing, some build shelters, others build windmills"

Old chineese proverb.

Emperor Ing
2008-01-15, 07:28 AM
"all your base are belong to us" - CATS
"CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!!!" - Sheogorath
"Protect the warlock!" - Brother Harkon

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-15, 07:56 AM
We are all different, else it would be boring.

Voidhawk
2008-01-18, 09:40 AM
I just finished reading 'Skulduggery Pleasant'. That book is made of win.

"Doors are for people with no imagination" - Skulduggery Pleasant.

"You could have died!"
"But I didn't."
"But you could have died."
"But I didn't."
"Look, I'm not denying that you have a valid point, but the fact is, you could have died." - Skulduggery and Stephanie Edgley

"The branches broke my fall."
"How were the branches?"
"A lot unlike pillows." - Stephanie and Skulduggery

I recently read that too, you're right it's just great.

"I had a friend once who thought it was fun, and wanted to go on adventures with me. He pestered and pestered me, until I finaly let him come with me."
"And did you have lots of adventures together?"
"I did. He died horribly on the first one, with lots of screaming. It wasn't pretty."
-Skulduggery and Stephanie

Telonius
2008-01-18, 10:30 AM
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry, The Little Prince.

"As the bird trims her to the gale,
I trim myself to the storm of time,
I man the rudder, reef the sail,
Obey the voice at eve obeyed at prime:
'Lowly faithful, banish fear,
Right onward drive unharmed;
The port, well worth the cruise, is near,
And every wave is charmed.' "
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Terminus."

Telonius
2008-01-18, 10:35 AM
"Lord, what fools these mortals be"- Puck, a midsummer nights dream

Trivia: this quote appears on the statue of Puck in front of the Folger Library in Washington DC. The statue is positioned to face the US Capitol building, across the street. :smallbiggrin:

Mephisto
2008-01-19, 01:19 AM
Trivia: this quote appears on the statue of Puck in front of the Folger Library in Washington DC. The statue is positioned to face the US Capitol building, across the street. :smallbiggrin:

Lest we forget....

smart thog
2008-01-19, 04:41 PM

I did not know that.

OOTS quotes

"Nobody looks back on their life when they are dying and says "I wish I spent more time on petty revenge"." - Eugene Greenhilt

"I don't trust you enough to believe you lied." - Belkar Bitterleaf

"When faced with your own imminent destruction, you have no choice but to consider whats best for the next generation." - Right-Eye

"Belkar is a vile little creature. He has no sense of manners, is completely amoral, laughs at the pains of others, and has no mental faculties that would compare favorably to that of a table. Yet I find that I still prefer him to you."- Vaarsuvius

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-19, 11:20 PM
"In dreams the truth is learned that all good works are done in the absence of a caress." --Leonard Cohen

And my current favorite song, Starving in the Belly of a Whale by Tom Waits. All of it.

Ganurath
2008-01-19, 11:33 PM
"CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!!!" - SheogorathYou can pretty much take any quote from the Shivering Isles and put it in here, pretty much, whether you want funny:

"Ah, yes, I guess it would be difficult to read the Master's instructions without pictures." -Haskill

Or inspirational:

"Don't think about it; DREAM about it." - High Priest of Mania

Or just plain weird:

"Clouds don't smell. They taste of butter. And tears." - Sheogorath again.

MeklorIlavator
2008-01-20, 12:20 AM
Here's and interesting pair:
"What this country needs is a short, victorious war to stem the tide of revolution"
-V.K. Plehve, Russian minister of the interior on the eve of the Russo-Japanese War(1903)

"The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions"
-Robert Lynd, 1879-1949

These are just some one's I thought were interesting:
Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, "Why me?", then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up."
-- Charlie Brown

"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to a mind? Our unity is full of wonder, which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."
-The Many

"Mistrust is the tyranny of the individual. Your own kind sees you as a threat. Why do you murder our unity? No matter. The line is drawn. You will cease to be. It is just a question of who will bring your end. Us, or you."
-The Many

"That's not to say I disparage the religious impulse. I think the impulse is a critical part of the wonder and awe that human beings feel. What I am against is organised religion of the sort which persecutes people who don't believe. I'm against religious intolerance."
Philip Pullman, on his Dark Materials Trilogy

"Hard, yes! Observe the hardness, write it down in careful runes. Now sing of wall! Sing!" Beowulf, from Grendel, by John Gardner

"And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away."
"Ozymandias", Percy Bysshe Shelley

Celitholar
2008-01-21, 03:43 AM
"As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth knowing anyway."

"Childhood is for spoiling adulthood."

"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices."

"I wonder if you can refuse to inherit the world."

"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks."

"It's only work if somebody makes you do it."

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

"The problem with people is that they don't look at the big picture. Eventually, we're each going to die, our species will go extinct, the sun will explode, and the universe will collapse. Existence isn't only temporary, it's pointless! We're all doomed, and worse, nothing matters!"
-Calvin, from Calvin And Hobbes\

Calvin: Dad, where do babies come from?
Calvin's Dad: Most people just go to Sears, buy the assembly kit, and read the instructions.
Calvin: I CAME FROM SEARS?!?!
Dad: No, you were a Blue Light Special at Kmart. Almost as good, and a lot cheaper.
Calvin: AAUUGHHH!
Calvin's Mom: Dear, what are you telling him now?!

Calvin: When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain when the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation.
Hobbes: An ingeniously self-fulfilling plan.
Calvin: It's a lot more fun to blame things than to fix them.

Calvin's Dad: This year, I thought we'd just keep the tree in the garage.
Calvin: In the GARAGE?!
Calvin's Dad: Sure. You can go out and look at it whenever you want, and it saves all the trouble of decorating it.
Calvin: We're not going to DECORATE it?!
Calvin's Dad: Why bother? We just take it all down in two weeks. On Christmas Day, if you get a present…
Calvin: IF I get A present?!
Calvin's Dad: …you can take it out to the garage to open, and pretend the tree has lots of lights and…
Calvin: MOM!
Calvin's Mom: I know somebody who's going to get a lot of coal in his stocking, buster.
Calvin's Dad: The season gets less jolly every year.

To name a few. :smalltongue:

RandomNPC
2008-01-21, 06:07 PM
"I've had this nightmare before."

"It's ok! I'm a leaf on the wind!"

"Death can not take what may eternal lie,
And when strange eons pass even death may die"

Icewalker
2008-01-21, 10:34 PM
This would be better placed in the 'coming in at an awkward moment in a conversation' thread that was up here a while ago, but what the hell, I need to put it somewhere.

"They come check to make sure there are no dead pigs falling into our lube tanks."

From a family friend who works at a place that produces machine grease, this grease is used in factories that produce food, so the grease has to meet food standards and be edible in case some gets into the food. However this also means it must be kosher, and the Islam equivalent of kosher (I forget what it is called), so a rabbi comes and checks out the plant, which was somewhat laughed at and questioned, and the quote happened. Yeah...:smallsigh:

Shademan
2008-01-22, 02:43 AM
Mads Eriksen quotes:

"i love this job!"

"ACTION FIGUREEES!!!"

"better take it like a man."

Milanius
2008-01-22, 12:03 PM
"Life's a bitch and then, you die" - Shane MacGowan, "Hells Ditch"
"Oh my god, you killed Kenny! YOU BASTARDS!!!!" - Stan Marsh and Kyle Broflowsky, "Southpark"

Quincunx
2008-01-22, 12:14 PM

I will never again complain about the National Endowment for the Arts being a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Supagoof
2008-01-22, 12:57 PM
Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain. George McFly - Back To The Future

Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning Kilgore - Apocalypse Now

You see things and you say why? But I dream of things that never were, and say why not? George Bernard Shaw

That ain't no etch-a-sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, homeskillet Rollo - Juno

Bulletproof cup, huh? I invented this gag, Rabbit. Only in my day, the rookie got naked. And we also used blanks. You're a sick mother-effer, Mac. Captain O Hagan - Super Troopers

But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! - Mac
Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. - Thorny *referring to Farva*
Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all. - Foster
Evil shenanigans! - Mac
I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans." - Captain O Hagan
Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the walls and the mozzarella sticks? - Mac
You mean Shenanigans? - Farva
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO. - Mac & Thorny *as they hand the Captain their pistols*[/I] - Super Troopers

Don't Hate. There's too much of that in this world already. Try dislike instead, then you can change your mind later if you want. - Grandparent Supagoof

If someone put it together, then you can take it apart. If you can take it apart, then you can put it back together again. - Father Supagoof

Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. - Unknown

smart thog
2008-01-27, 05:14 PM
Dorktower qoutes

"No matter what happens, you have to throw your self into life and live it. After all, what is the alternative" -Gilly

"Life, death, diceless roleplaying systems. They all make sense." -Ken, after getting a near death sugar high from a Igor bar

"Although, it was only fruitcake, I expected the same reaction anyways." -Igor

"I wanna be a muskrat"-Carson the muskrat

"Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be fanboys" -Matt

"My brother is a drop out, has no job, and is a stoner." "Hey Loser!" "Also, he's not a gamer" -Matt and his brother

Nightwing
2008-01-27, 08:10 PM
...sure it does. It ties in with the whole 'take off your glasses, let down your hair and open you're top button and you'll be hot' theory.

Oh, I have to try that....

"Were is my clock?"- Picasso's last words.

Fester
2008-01-27, 08:35 PM
"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought"
Dorothy L Sayers

Shraik
2008-01-27, 10:37 PM
"Once. My Tv didn't work. So I kicked it. Then it worked again." -Deadpool

"I know what I want but I just don't know...how to...well...go about gettin' it"
-Jimi Hendrix

"Simple. Fear is like a bug, and you are the exterminator and perserverance the pesticide. Only the exterminator can get rid of the bugs with the pesticide. You can't stop with the pesticide either, or more bugs will keep coming."

Lady Tialait
2008-01-28, 02:42 AM
"You have mettled in the forces of nature, and you will atone!" -The head of the Network, in Network.

"When I had kids, I said to myself 'I better assign them a mathimatical equation' so, you being my first, I decide 'E = MC 2' then you'd have infinate energy, but my mistake is that you tend to blow up" - My Dad.

"WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY" Morbo.

KindaChang
2008-01-28, 03:46 AM
"Rely on your gift alone and you're gonna fail. You gotta develop yourself. The secret is confidence and concentration. You got them, you don't need much else." -Ed Hobbs, The Natural

"Having dreams is what makes life tolerable." -Pete, Rudy

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." -Wayne "The Great One" Gretzky

McMindflayer
2008-01-28, 04:52 AM
... You want Quotes? I have A Word document that is 46 pages full of quotes. I'll just toss down the first page for now.

Gabriel: I'm getting so fed up with you.
Human women: Go to Hell!!
Gabriel: Heaven, darling, Heaven. At least get the zip code right.

"I always knew these pointy little buggers meant trouble"

"I'd rather be ashes than dust." --Jack London

Now how did the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like,huh? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like, uh...Oatmeal or Tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken for example. Maybe they couldn't tell what to make chicken taste like which is why chicken tastes like everything!

"Those who always spew others quotes have no real thoughts of their own"

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
-The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a... no, no, it's a bird.

Contrary to popular belief, a barrel full of monkeys isn't fun at all, and is in fact quite horrifying.

It's a good thing we have gravity, or else when birds die they would just stay right up there. Hunters would get all confused.

Never insult an alligator until after you have crossed the river.

"Some things are true whether you believe them or not."

Kevin Lomax: "What about love?"
John Milton: "Overrated. Biochemically no different from eating large quantities of chocolate."

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.... how much can they expect on my first day?

“I’ve been thinking how wonderful it would be if all people renounced violence forever…. If nobody else was violent, I could conquer the whole stupid planet with just a butter knife.” – Dogbert, Dilberts dog.

To laugh is to risk appearing a fool,
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
To place your ideas and dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live.
Chained by his servitude he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.
The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
And the realist adjusts the sails.
--William Arthur Ward

Hell Puppi
2008-01-28, 06:22 AM
Okay, these are all coming from the same book, Watership Down, by Richard adams:

"Do I take every offer that a general makes me, offering to sacrifice his life for that of his troops? When a mother offers her life for that of her children? No, El-Hrairah. What is is what must be." -Black Rabbit of Inle (this one was from memory, so it may not be the exact words)

". . . . All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."

"He felt that the darkness itself was alive and hated him, and it never changed, never slept, never spoke. All it had to do was to wait for him to go mad, to break down, to give up and surrender. Then he would have lost and the implacable darkness would have won."

seventhsamurai
2008-01-28, 08:43 AM
"You're afraid you'll discover things about each other that you won't like?

"Oh no. No, no. We're past that stage. She knows my likes and dislikes. I've become attuned to her various quirks...eccentricities...bugaboos...bete noires...night terrors...it's the fun of being in love."

Frasier and Niles Crane.

Zombie pixe
2008-01-28, 02:51 PM
Blackadder III:

Frufru: "this sausage is very suspicious, if i didn't know better id say it was a horse's wil-

Blackadder: -Yes yes, now...

Vernal
2008-01-28, 04:16 PM
A good quote for everyone.

"I may be a pretty sad person, but I don't make jokes in base 13." - Douglas Adams

Elsewise, see my sig.

Shraik
2008-01-28, 05:26 PM
"WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY" Morbo.

Second I read that, I started to crack up

Ninja Chocobo
2008-01-29, 05:10 AM
"I enjoyed your stories. So I will not eat your eyes."
-Kalliades, Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow.

Also see the first two in my sig. The rest is my collection of Humble Pie quotes.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-29, 05:13 AM
"Hey! I don't tell you how to tell me what to do so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"
-Bender

Lady Tialait
2008-01-29, 05:36 AM
"Ofcorse you fight fire with fire, you fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard.

"Fair? Fair!? When in this discussion did you consive to yourself that I am trying to be Fair?" - some magic card I can't remeber witch

"HAPPY HOUR!" Cleric of Ollie casting "Mass Heal"

@V: erm..thanks...we have overquoted it...and it mutated...*insert much hugging here*

Reinboom
2008-01-29, 06:20 AM
"Fair? Fair!? When in this discussion did you consive to yourself that I am trying to be Fair?" - some magic card I can't remeber witch

"Fair? At what point in our negotiations did you convince yourself my goal was to be fair?"
Card: Vedalken Plotter
Set: Guildpact, Uncommon

Magic: The Gathering has a lot of good quotes, especially among goblins.

"Fire, aim, ready!"
- Goblin War Strike
"
"Darius?"
"Yeah?"
"There is a goblin sneaking up behind you."
"So?"
"Just sayin..."
- Wave of Indifference

"Everybody but me—CHARGE!"
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician

"I order you to volunteer."
- Skirk Drill Sargent

And even some more interesting ones to think about:
"War is a conflict that determines not who is right—but who is left."
- Shock Troops

Ceska
2008-01-30, 01:26 PM
A lot of Nietzsche quotes:

Ich sage euch: man muß noch Chaos in sich haben, um einen tanzenden Stern gebären zu können. - I tell you: one must have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star.

Die stillsten Worte sind es, welche den Sturm bringen. Gedanken, die mit Taubenfüßen kommen, lenken die Welt. - It is the stillest words that bring on the storm. Thoughts that come on doves' feet guide the world.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. - He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Was aus Liebe getan wird, geschieht immer jenseits von Gut und Böse. - What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.

Der Irrsinn ist bei Einzelnen etwas seltenes - aber bei Gruppen, Parteien, Völkern, Zeiten die Regel." - Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups.
Bold are my absolute favourites.

Then my absolute favourite:
Freiheit ist immer die Freiheit des Andersdenkenden - Freedom is always the freedom of those who think differently.

And some song quotes:
I'm selfdestructive baby, but a friendly one. You better leave me here alone, I need this night to heal my world send me a smile and I'll get by. (Spiritual Beggars on Send me a Smile)

But I feel fine today cos I've got friends inside my head. They tell me stories about the world within ourselves ...and watch me get high.
(Spiritual Beggars on Inside Charmers)

Tired of dull ages, I walk the same ground, collecting the tragedies still. Hollow ambitions in a hollow mind, carried my cross to the hill. (In Flames on Moonshield)

Stood there cursing at the soul-dead mass with their fabled illusions, the vain dreams that passed splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl. A lone, silent warrior in a fantasy world. (In Flames on Artifacts of the Black Rain)

Apathy dressed in violence, white insectoid legs curse her lips and the mouth receptive only to pain. (In Flames on Gyroscope)

And a lot more.

JasonDoomsblade
2008-01-30, 02:05 PM
Here are some of my favorites.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson :smallbiggrin:

I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places. - Henny Youngman

Everybody wants to go to heaven; but nobody wants to die.

smart thog
2008-02-01, 07:12 PM
"Ofcorse you fight fire with fire, you fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard.

Reminds me of a corner gas quote

Mayor Fitzy-"This is dangerous. We need to fight fire with fire"
Officer Davis-"But thats how we lost the train station."

MeklorIlavator
2008-02-01, 08:31 PM
One from today:
"Don't do drugs, get a physics degree instead."
My Physics teacher commenting on the stranger aspects of physics.

GuesssWho
2008-02-01, 08:48 PM
... You want Quotes? I have A Word document that is 46 pages full of quotes. I'll just toss down the first page for now.

I'm like that too . . .

XxAmplisaxX
2008-02-01, 09:08 PM
Haha I love quotes. Here is one I saw on someone's signature I hope I get all the words right...

"I stopped believeing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him and he asked me for my autograph." -Shirley Temple

umm here are some more...

"It dosn't have to be warm for the sun to bleach your hair." (For those who don't get that its a little thing I made up... It means that something dosn't have to be good to make an impact on you)

"Just because you dont like something in a recipe dosn't mean you wont like the food it makes." (I also made up this one it means you may not like something about a person or something but that dosn't mean you dont like the person or thing)

"You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy."
Jane Roberts

"To love at all is to be vulnerable."
C.S. Lewis

"Tell me. I'll forget. Show me, I may remember. But involve me and I'll understand."
Chinese Proverb

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true."
Richard Bach

"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger."
Nietzsche

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle."
Abraham Lincoln

"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind."
Mahatma Gandhi

there is another quote in all of those spoilers in my signature.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-01, 09:39 PM
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both willing and able? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither willing nor able? Then why call him God?"
-Epicurus

unstattedCommoner
2008-02-02, 06:37 AM
"Obviously I'm not a trained lawyer, or I wouldn't have been in charge of the legal unit."
- Yes, Minister.

Rimmer: If only I'd had a competent lawyer, instead of the idiot I ended up with.
Lister: You defended yourself.
- Red Dwarf VIII

blademaster42
2008-02-02, 10:17 AM
Hey, cool! A Yggdra Union quote, awesome! I only have two quotes...

"The greatest thing you will ever learn, is just to love, and to be loved in return." Moulin Rouge (an excellent movie, and a wonderful quote, but I don't think I believe it.)

And one from me.

"Love is like crack. Smart people will tell you that it's no good for you, but noooo, you've gotta try it for yourself. and then you try it, and then hou know for a certainty that it isn't good for you, but you keep going back, because you're addicted." Realized that a few days ago. Yes I'm a cynic. I blame the government.

GuesssWho
2008-02-02, 05:25 PM
Yes I'm a cynic. I blame the government.

LOL
Ditto.

Satyrquaze
2008-02-04, 03:36 PM
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money."
~ Cree Proverb

"That man is successful who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much, who has gained the respect of the intelligent men and the love of children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had."
~Robert Louis Stevenson

GuesssWho
2008-02-04, 04:11 PM
I love that one about how you can't eat money . . .

Satyrquaze
2008-02-04, 04:55 PM
It's definately one of my faves.:smallsmile:

smart thog
2008-02-04, 07:29 PM
I learned that one from a poster in our American studies class.

"You think I look like Carl Marx?" - god, in the graphic novel autobiography Persepolis

"Nooo! Its too early in the afternoon to die!"- Nodwick

"Something that evil makes my blood boil. And my left arm feel numb. Also, I taste caution."- Congressman Wilcox, the Simpsons.

Mr._Blinky
2008-02-04, 07:40 PM
"Something that evil makes my blood boil. And my left arm feel numb. Also, I taste caution."- Congressman Wilcox, the Simpsons.
Good choice, though I feel I should note that it's "Also, I taste copper", since he's having a heart-attack.

smart thog
2008-02-05, 03:42 PM
I thought I said copper.

Arlekin
2008-02-09, 02:05 AM
If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. Albert Einstein

Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
Plato

It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends.
J. K. Rowling

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
Friedrich Nietzsche

hap_hazard
2008-02-09, 11:56 AM
"Dude, don't taunt the god-killing abomination."
-Loki, Order of the Stick
"All those who are absent, please raise your hand."
-A teacher

TheThan
2008-02-09, 03:09 PM
“Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy”
- Ben Franklin

“There’s no problem that can’t be overcome without judicious use of high explosives”
- TheThan’s father

“ If you’re lookin’ fer trouble I’ll accommodate ya’”
- John Wayne

“ Tacos Rule!”
-Gorge W Bush

smart thog
2008-02-14, 07:55 PM
"The truth is telling people what they need to know, but do not want to know"- George Orwell

"Homer, how will this effect your job at the plant?"
"Negatively I assume."

Homer and Marge Simpson

Swordlol
2008-02-14, 08:30 PM
Once more, quoting Richard from his little song "Slaughter Your World" (look it up on Youtube if you feel so compelled to find out about it):
"You see a wife?
I see a widow."

Actually....I'd like to list that entire song as my favorite quote.

I second this.

And every other quote Richard has ever said.

<Everyone explains their reason to go on this mystical journey.>
"I. Like. To. Kill. Stuff. How is that not obvious by now?"

dual_wielder
2008-02-14, 08:34 PM
Money is the square root of all evil.

hyperfreak497
2008-02-14, 08:47 PM
Posted by Rubakhin in a previous Quote thread
"I am like a wild animal born in captivitiy, in a zoo. But where a beast would have claws, I have talent."

-Klaus Kinski

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."

-Vladimir Nabokov

"Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals."

-Don Delillo

"Sometimes I wonder how all those, who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic fear, which is inherent in a human condition."

-Graham Greene

"Be quiet! Anyone can spit in my face, and call me a criminal and a prostitute. But no one has the right to judge my remorse."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
[HR]

Posted by Me
"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

-Albert Einstein

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live in a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we would voyage very far."

-H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

"Life is one of those in-jokes the guy who's telling it keep messing up, so it's not funny. The punchline is you die. It's sort of a meta-humor, really; the meaning of life is akin to: so a horse walks into a bar, and the bartender asks, 'Why the long face?' and the horse says, 'My wife just left me.'"

-A member of these boards whose username I have forgotten

LordVader
2008-02-14, 10:34 PM
"Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by our generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None, I say! Let us take what we want, chew and eat our fill."
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

This is, I believe, the quote for the Industrial Base tech from Alpha Centauri. I always loved it because it perfectly defines the Morganite faction as whole, and is also a hilarious quote to use to irritate environmentalists. :smallbiggrin:
--------------------------------
Helicopter Pilot:"Who is this? Who's there?"
Rambo: "Your worst nightmare."

From Rambo III, just an awesome quote.

--------------------------------------
"Live forever, apes".
-Lieutenant Rasczak (Rougnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles CGI show.)

McMindflayer
2008-02-17, 10:26 AM
The only problem I ever get from stuff that is funny or somewhat profound I find in books is that they are only viable quotes in context. And Context is hard to add at the end of a quote.

Too long for me to copy down. So here's a link
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10
another good link: too hard to copy as a quote
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=481#comic

"Any science that is not indistinguishable from magic is not sufficiently advanced enough."
“Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don’t understand it.

Cogwheel
2008-02-17, 11:39 PM
Just found this. Coincidentally, I also just finished reading Small Gods, so here's a few.

"I could destroy you utterly."
"Yes."
"I could crush you like an egg."
"Yes, you could."
"You can't use weakness as a weapon!"
"Why not? It's the only one I have."

-Om and Brutha

"Could I interest you in some yoghurt? Onna stick?"
"No."
"Ver' healthy for you, you know. 'S live yoghurt, I caught it this morning."
"Yes, I can see."
"Ok, so sometimes I have to hit it with a spoon to keep it in the... Anyway, people like a bit of colour in their food. Yoghurt has colour too. This one's green."

- Brutha and cut-me-own-hand-off Dblah.

"The trouble with being a god is that you have no one to pray to."

Emrylon
2008-02-18, 08:59 AM
"We is gonna stomp da universe flat and kill anyfink that fights back. We’re da Orks, and we was made ta fight and win."

- Ghazghkull Thraka

The only good stunty is a dead stunty, and the only thing better than a dead stunty is a dyin' stunty who tells yer where to find 'is mates."

- Morglum Necksnapper

TwoBitWriter
2008-02-21, 09:05 AM
"Its made with bits of real panther, so you know its good." - Brian Fontana, Anchorman

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?" - George Carlin (True for anyone who has had to drive to work in commuter traffic.)

Om
2008-02-22, 07:51 PM
Just found this. Coincidentally, I also just finished reading Small Gods, so here's a few.Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

BlackStaticWolf
2008-02-22, 09:14 PM
"Three generations of imbeciles are enough." -- Justice Holmes

"Words are chameleons, which reflect the color of their environment." -- Learned Hand (who also had the best name ever)

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." -- Clarence Darrow

Cogwheel
2008-02-22, 09:18 PM
"...and we could build temples for every religion."

"Excuse me?"

"Yes?"

"Did I just hear mention of other gods?here?"

"Ofcourse. It'll encourage you to do your best, stay competitive."

"This is religion, not comparison bloody shopping! You will not subject your god to market forces!"

Dryken
2008-02-23, 03:59 AM
"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men..."
-Willy Wonka

Cogwheel
2008-02-24, 09:34 AM
My dad's necromancer has a new custom verbal component for Doom/Bane/Bestow Curse. I think it belongs here...

"Woe, dude..." - the worst pun ever.

He also raised an army of "undudes".

FireFox
2008-02-24, 11:10 AM
All of the following are quotes by Tom Clancy.

"Show me an elitist, and I'll show you a loser."

"Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die."

"I've made up stuff that's turned out to be real, that's the spooky part."

"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it."

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

I truely love his work, and these quotes taken from interviews just make so much sense to me.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-02-25, 02:41 AM
"Show me an elitist, and I'll show you a loser."

Hey, I'm not elitist, just better than everybody else!

(If that's not someone else's, then it's mine.)

whateverness
2008-02-26, 11:42 AM
These are a couple of quotes from Oscar Wilde, some old dude from the 19th century...

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you."

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about."

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."

"Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Also, the second quote in my signature is an oscar wilde quote. Sorry if someone already did this guy, i just dont want to read all 7 pages.
Yay my first post :smallsmile:

RandomLogic
2008-02-26, 12:15 PM
These are a couple of quotes from Oscar Wilde, some old dude from the 19th century...
Also, the second quote in my signature is an oscar wilde quote. Sorry if someone already did this guy, i just dont want to read all 7 pages.
Yay my first post :smallsmile:

If you want some funny Oscar Wilde stuff, check out the uncyclopedia. Its a hilariously odd version of wikipedia and they always have some odd Oscar Wilde quotes. http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Oscar_wilde_quotes

I like "time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

smart thog
2008-02-26, 06:10 PM
Here are some from the Simpsons

"What!!! She went free! This is America! Justice shoud favor the rich!"- Mr.Burns

"I read somewhere that women liked jerks."-Grampa Simpson

"Your gonna see a lot of nuns where your going. HELL!"- Chief Wiggum

FoE
2008-02-27, 02:41 AM
"Where's your messiah now, eh Flanders?"

GuesssWho
2008-02-28, 03:25 PM
I LOVE Oscar Wilde . . . Oscar Wilde quotes. (http://www.quotationspage.com/search.php3?Search=&startsearch=Search&Author=wilde&C=mgm&C=motivate&C=classic&C=coles&C=poorc&C=lindsly&C=net&C=devils&C=contrib)

Danzaver
2008-02-29, 07:29 AM
Ok, let's see if I can rack my brains for a couple of good quotes....

"Hey, lets get serious... God knows what hes doin'. He wrote this book here, an' the book says: He made us all to be just like him, so... If we're dumb... Then God is dumb... (an' maybe even a little ugly on the side)"
- Frank Zappa, Dumb All Over

"Love is a creature of time, but friendship is not"
- Patrick O'Brian

"To be young and write poetry is to be young. To be old and write poetry is to be a poet."
- Anon

"Sincerity is never planned. It must be made up on the spot!"
- Denny Crane.

"Every man would be a coward if he dared."
- Patrick O'Brian

"Authority is the solvent of humanity. Look at any family, look at the father, and at the absorption of the man by the role."
- Patrick O'Brian

"Without hope, there is no fear"
- Author Unknown

"Without hope, we live in desire"
- Author Unknown

"All certainty trembled - masculinity, power; the twin imperatives of dread and reason - all turned their collars up and denied knowledge of him."
- Clive Barker "The Madonna"

"...he was aware of his body as he had seldom been before: as a trap. Its fragility was a trp; its shape, its size, its very gender was a trap. And there was no flying out of it; he was shackled to, or IN this wretchedness."
- Clive Barker "The Madonna"

"No craft is very far from the line beyond which is magic"
- Lord Dunsany "Don Rodriguez"

"...it seemed trivial, emphemeral, modern, ill able to cope with the power of ancient things, dead days and forgotten voices, which make their home in the darkness because the days that have usurped them have stolen the light of the sun."

and finally...

"...for know that mere dreams and idle fancies, and all amorous, lyrical, insubstancial things, are all that we writers have of which to make a tale, as they are all that the Dim Ones have to make the story of man."

I had forgotten how much I liked these quotes. They have a calming effect on me. Cheers! :D

EDIT: huh.... I forgot to do an H.P. Lovecraft quote. how could I? Oh well, there shall be a sequel!

Gem Flower
2008-02-29, 07:50 AM
My teacher said this one, and I'm well aware that it's cheesy.
"Anything and everything you do, do with integrity."
I said this one.
"She's been hammering it into our heads....with a chainsaw!"
Friend's friend
"Like a cow, dammit!"
Me
"Go speak French to the refrigerator!"

Keorn
2008-02-29, 04:41 PM
"Give us the gate key."
"Gate key? I know of no gate key."
"Fezzig, tear his arms off."
"Oh you mean this gate key."

-The Princess Bride

smart thog
2008-03-01, 03:22 PM
"Where's your messiah now, eh Flanders?"

Nerd senses tingling.Incorrect quote. Its from Wiggum, and its just "Where's your messiah now?" in the David vs. Goliath two.

FoE
2008-03-06, 04:07 AM
Nerd senses tingling.Incorrect quote. Its from Wiggum, and its just "Where's your messiah now?" in the David vs. Goliath two.

It's also quoted in the episode where Homer wants to be Ned's best friend, and he drives Ned up the wall. While Ned is speeding away from the house (Homer briefly gives chase in a scene reminiscent of Terminator 2), Chief Wiggum pulls Ned over. After he stumbles during a roadside test, Wiggum arrests Ned. As he's putting him in the squad car, Wiggum says, "Where's your messiah now?"

Here's another one from Futurama:

"Murder isn't working and it's all we're good at."

Ninja Chocobo
2008-03-06, 04:52 AM
In order to save space in my sig:

NC, you're my favorite. Except when I have to archive you. :smalltongue:

Windows just got better!

You don't steer the rocket, it goes up.

Wright. I believe the next lunch you'll be eating is...Humble Pie!

I'm going to serve you up a slice of humble pie! I hope you enjoy it.

Do you have a taste for humble pie?!

That's why you're going to use a combat oriented build of your own to serve him a helping of humble pie.

Think I'll have the chicken. Hope the guy in 5B likes humble pie

Get this one wrong, and you'll be eating humble pie for a year. I'll bake it myself.

If you're going to do something stupid, then at least wear safety goggles.

FoE
2008-03-06, 04:53 AM
"If you're going to do something stupid, then at least wear safety goggles"
--Ms. Clark, my year 10 Science teacher.

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Vella_Malachite
2008-03-06, 05:11 AM
THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Can I sig that? Please?

For the list:

"Here's your beer, sir, and I've 0.00003 killed you?" - Moist von Lipwig to Pump (19, I think it was...please correct me if I'm wrong).

"Dude, you were asleep, and making serious happy noises" - Sam to Dean on Supernatural

"I told my Dad I was afraid of the dark once. He gave me a 4.5." - Sam to Dean, same show.

And this entire conversation from the same show and the same people:
"Dude, you seriously have to update your cassete tape collection."
"Why?"
"Well, for one, they're cassete tapes. For another: Metallica, *lists a few other bands* The greatest hits of Mullet Rock?"
"House rules, Sammy, driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole."
"Dean, Sammy is a chubby twelve-year-old. Don't call me that anymore."
"Sorry, Sammy, can't hear you, the music's too loud."

I grin.

smart thog
2008-03-06, 03:01 PM
It's also quoted in the episode where Homer wants to be Ned's best friend, and he drives Ned up the wall. While Ned is speeding away from the house (Homer briefly gives chase in a scene reminiscent of Terminator 2), Chief Wiggum pulls Ned over. After he stumbles during a roadside test, Wiggum arrests Ned. As he's putting him in the squad car, Wiggum says, "Where's your messiah now?"

*Checking old episodes* Crap! FOE is right! I feel ashamed.

Also from the Simpson

"Its fun to obey the machines"- Ralph Wiggum

smart thog
2008-03-21, 04:22 PM
Heres one from the play major Barbra's profession.

"I wouldn't trade an once of my compassion for all of your wealth -major Barbra
Well, I wouldn't trade all of my wealth for an once of your compassion -Andrew Undershaft"

Lyesmith
2008-03-21, 06:00 PM
I've been going through Buffy.
Again.
Glorificus has thrown me a new favourite.

Glory: I look around at this world you're so eager to be a part of and all I see is six billion lunatics looking for the fastest ride out. Who's not crazy? Look around, everyone's drinking, smoking, shooting up, shooting each other, or just plain screwing their brains out 'cause they don't want 'em anymore. I'm crazy? Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.

Narmoth
2008-03-22, 04:40 AM
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money."
~ Cree Proverb

hey, new dollar bills are tasty!

wadledo
2008-03-22, 04:57 AM
From Abarat (and sung to the tune of O Christmas Tree):

O woe is me,
O woe is me,
I used to have a hamster tree,
But it was eaten by a newt,
And now I have no cuddly fruit,
O woe is me,
O woe is me,
I used to have a hamster tree!

Narmoth
2008-03-22, 07:11 AM
"All those who are absent, please raise your hand."
-A teacher
An absent minded person would not listen to the teacher, and think it was the usual headcount, therefore raising his hand.

Agamid
2008-03-24, 08:54 AM
"I know what you think, but i know I think, and i think i think just as well as you think... don't you think?"
- Britney from Daria

Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse"

Punctuation is the difference between "A woman without her man is nothing" and "A woman: without her, man is nothing"
- heard both of them from a teacher

“No one said there would be not leaving.”
my DM at about 2am

“If I were going to die I would have done it by now.”
Grit, played by Michael

I have infinite 'favourite' quotes, but those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head

smart thog
2008-04-30, 12:15 PM
Alright, here are some from watchmen

"As intelligent men facing insane times, we were very alike, despising each other instantly." - Adrian Veidt on the comedian

"Were all puppets on strings, Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."- Dr. Manhattan

"Whoa whoa whoa! Blowing up HALF of NEW YORK! I'm gald we found you before you could do anything really dangerous. I mean, when was this hopelessly blakc fantasy supposed to happen?"
"Daniel, I'm not a republic serial villain. I wouldn't explain it to you if their was even a slight chance you could stop it. I did it 35 minutes ago."

-Dan Dreinburg and Adrian Veidt.

Dancing_Zephyr
2008-04-30, 04:17 PM
What really killed the Dinosaurs?
MEEEEEE!!!

PhallicWarrior
2008-04-30, 09:12 PM
NONSENSE

"I throw spoons!"--me

GOOD ADVICE
"Serve the Emperor today, for tomorrow you may be dead."

Switch "the Emperor" with "everyday people" and it works well enough.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 09:16 PM
"Somebody probably said this before, so I am taking their credit"
- a good friend of mine

Cult_of_the_Raven
2008-04-30, 09:22 PM
ooh, ooh, has someone mentioned:
"The only difference between something that can go wrong and something that cannot possibly go wrong is that when something that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it is generally impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas adams

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-30, 09:40 PM
My father:
"And firey pits of hell are just a metaphor. Same as streets paved with gold.
I mean, who wants streets paved with gold?
and I LIKE fire.
within reason."

Yagami Light
"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!!!"

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 09:42 PM
Workers of the world UNITE
-Karl Marx

Phase
2008-04-30, 09:46 PM
"Guns don't kill people,
People kill people,
And monkeys kill people,
if they have guns."

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 09:55 PM
"Power grows from the barrel of a gun"
(not true, the power has always existed, and to put it blandly, never really grew, but was put into a chemical composition which would combust rapidly and expand in a gaseous form, which's elastic potential energy (caused by electromagnetic repulsion) forces the projectile out of the barrel, with kinetic energy.)

Shepperd: "It's like one of those toys which you play with as a kid"
McKay: "A Super Nintendo?"
Ronon: "Triple-barreled shotgun?"
Shepperd: "A kaleidoscope"

Kato
2008-05-03, 03:55 PM
Hehe...

Sheppard: What is this?
McKay: This... this is the Ancient's device for time travel!
Sheppard: So it's a flux compensator?
McKay: *pissed* ... Yeah, it's a flux compensator.

Darius Midnite
2008-05-03, 04:06 PM
'The sweet smell of a great sorrow lies over the land...' Quoted from a Pink floyd song conveniently named 'Sorrow'.

There is no deep poetic message hidden in between the words, but I think it's a powerful phrase and I find it inspiring in some way.

smart thog
2008-05-11, 04:20 PM
What are these Shepard quotes from?

Narmoth
2008-05-11, 04:49 PM
What are these Shepard quotes from?

Firefly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29)

Shraik
2008-05-11, 05:01 PM
"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!!"
-Powerthirst 2

*Simpsons family is show shopping for easter*
Bart: Why do we need to buy shoes for easter? Jesus didn't wear shoes
Homer: Maybe if he did he coulda run away

CommodoreFluffy
2008-05-11, 09:04 PM
Firefly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29)

no! Stargate Atlantis, geez

Zarrexaij
2008-05-11, 09:24 PM
Do made-up quotes on Uncyclopedia count?

EponymousKid
2008-05-11, 11:33 PM
"Only fictional characters can be loved for who they really are." - Kimiko, Megatokyo

Lord_Gareth
2008-05-12, 06:25 AM
Oderint Dum Metuant - "Let them Hate so long as they also Fear."

That one's from Nero ^_^

smart thog
2008-05-27, 08:38 PM
Heres one from everyones favoite midget, napoleon

"History is the version of past events that everyone has agreed upon." -Napoleon Bonaparte

Lady Tialait
2008-05-27, 08:42 PM
"You gunna make biscuits, You gunna make biscuits, you guuuuuuunnna make biscuits!" - gir.

Philistine
2008-05-27, 11:26 PM
Joker: "How can you shoot women and children?"
Gunner: "Easy! You just don't lead 'em so much!"
- Full Metal Jacket

Little Bill Daggett: "You, sir, are a cowardly son of a b-. You just shot an unarmed man."
William Munny: "Well, he shoulda armed himself."
- Unforgiven

Jayne Cobb: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."
- Serenity

Why yes, as a matter of fact I do take my comedy without cream or sugar. What makes you ask? :smallamused:

Phae Nymna
2008-05-28, 12:05 AM
"Always take the pewter cup; it's an allegory for life." - Julian Glover

"Pssh... Sleep? Why bother!?" - Me

I'll think of more later. :smallannoyed:

smart thog
2008-06-18, 08:25 PM
"Whats the difference between a moron and your boss? Your boss has power over you"- Simon Reiffen

Jae
2008-06-18, 10:12 PM
Oh, this thread was made for me. I live on good quotes.

"They live in a world of ‘we’ not ‘me’ We‘ll never fix anything until we get that one basic thing right and powerful forces hope we never do."
-Sicko

"We’ve already started our life, we’re in it. This is it. You have to stop waiting for your life to start."
-P.S. I Love You

“Fear? If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear.”

“If a victory is told in detail, one can no longer distinguish it from a defeat.”

“If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company.”

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”

“No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point”
-All Jean Paul Sartre (No, he's not my favorite philosopher at alllll...)

"Fifty years from now, when you look back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to just get in the car?"
-Transformers

"You don't realize that..this is good. This doesn't happen often in your life. The other stuff, we can work out."

"That's life. If nothing else, that's life. It's real, and sometimes it ****in hurts, but it's kind of all we have."

"This is your one opportunity to do something that no one has ever done before and that no one will copy throughout human existence. And, if nothing else, you will be remembered as the one guy who ever did this.. This one thing."
-All Garden State

"I guess it's hard for people who are so used to things the way they are- even if they're bad- to change. 'Cause they kind of give up. And when they do, everybody kind of.. loses."

"'Why?'
'I owe somebody a favor.'
'Not me..'
'Why not you?'"
-Both Pay it Forward

"When I'm ready to make a photograph, I think I quite obviously see in my minds eye something that is not literally there in the true meaning of the word. I'm interested in something which is built up from within, rather than just extracted from without."

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."

"A photograph is usually looked at, seldom looked into."
-All Ansel Adams

"I don't want to let people off the hook. I don't want to make these pictures easy to look at. I want to ruin people's day if I have to. I want to stop them in their tracks and make them think of people beyond themselves."

"If I cave in, if I fold up because of the emotional obstacles that are in front of me, I'm useless. There is no point in me being there in the first place. And I think if you go to places where people are experiencing these kinds of tragedies with a camera, you have a responsibility. The value of it is to make an appeal to the rest of the world, to create an impetus where change is possible through public opinion. Public opinion is created through awareness. My job is to help create the awareness."

"I really hope people will not deny their own emotions or shut them off because the images might be disturbing. It very important that viewers not shut down, but instead engage their own emotions."

"I've probably seen thousands of dead people, and it does not get any easier. It gets more difficult. You become more sensitized, not less sensitized. Suffering gets more difficult to witness."
-All James Nachtwey

And, yeah, those are actually just some of the off-the-top-of-my-head quotes/people. And I didnt get to music quotes yet! :smallwink:

Im obsessed.

Conrad Poohs
2008-06-18, 10:38 PM
The Big Lebowski
The Dude: She's not my f*#king special lady! She's just my f*#kin' lady friend; I'm just tryin' to help her conceive!

Wronfully Accused
Ryan Harrison: Your dog certainly has a peculiar look on his face.
Lauren Goodhue: That's because you're looking at his butt.
RH: Ah. Well then he's certainly not going to enjoy that little treat I just fed him.

RH: <Turning away> Mrs Goodhue, looking at you makes me think about your husband.
LG: You do like women don't you?
RH: Yes. But you're a married one, I'm not.

RH: Don't move; I've got a gun. Not here, but I've got one.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
French Knight: Now go away! Or I shall taunt you a second time!

Bedevier: How do you know she is a witch?
Peasant: She turned me into a newt! ...I got better.

Rojer the Shrubber: Ah, sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies.

Monty Python's Meaning of Life
Officer1: Yes, bitten sir. During the night.
Officer2: Whole leg gone eh?
O1: Yes it's a real beut isn't it.
O2: Better get the MD to take a look at it just to be on the safe side.
Officer3: You must have a bloody great hole in your net.
MD: Well, let's take a look at this one leg of yours then. Hmmm, yes nothing much to worry about, it's probably just a bit of a virus. Just keep warm, plenty of rest, and if you're playing football just try and favour the other leg.
O3: By jove! Look at this hole! You don't suppose it will come back?
O1: For more you mean? Yes, you're right. We'd better get this stitched.

Monty Python's Life of Brian
Reg of the PFJ: What's the point of fighting the oppressors for you right to have babies?! You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus gonna gestate; are you gonna keep it in a box?!

Brian Cohen: I’m not the messiah!
Follower: I say you are Lord, and I should know, I’ve followed a few.

Mandy Cohen: …well, I suppose I should have told you a long time ago… Your father isn’t Mr. Cohen.
Brian: I never thought he was.

The Little Prince
He fell gently down, like a tree

Prince: If you want a sheep, it proves you exist

Psycho
Norman Bates: A boy’s best friend is his mother

Miscellaneous:
Martin Luther King: Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

Some Japanese brand of paper towel: I wonder why coffee tastes so good when you are naked with your family.

Annonymous: An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less, until he finally knows everything about nothing.

Heraklitus?: Nothing endures but change.

Winston Churchill: If you are going through hell, keep going.

Collin152
2008-06-18, 11:04 PM
"Bend over and take it like a man!"
With regard to a fire at a very memorable camp.
Ah, the dramatic irony.

Skippy
2008-06-18, 11:56 PM
"Bend over and take it like a man!"

That takes me to one of my favorite quotes...

"That's what SHE said!"

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-19, 08:23 AM
"If I only did stuff I thought I had a chance of doing, I'd never do anything." - Elan the bard
Which comic had this one?

Btw, some of mine...

Inspirational/Interesting Quotes or whatnot

"I'm not one thing or the other. Not flesh nor fowl nor good red herring..." Charles Wallace, A Wrinkle In Time

All my life I've lived by a code and the code is simple: honor God, love your woman and defend your country! - Hector of Troy

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead.. his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” - George Bernard Shaw

I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose. - Celia, Order of the Stick

"Kinda Spooky, ain’t it. Hell of a lot of coincidences. Like we say back home, when you find a turtle settin’ on top of a fencepost, you can be pretty damn sure he didn’t get there on his own. " - D.W. Yarborough, The Sparrow

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honor, courage and virtue mean everything; that power and money... money and power mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And I want you to remember this, that love, true love, never dies! Remember that boy... remember that. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in... got that? " - Hub, Secondhand Lions

Funny Quotes

"You know what, there's a ton of lore on unicorns too. In fact, I hear that they ride on silver moonbeams, and that they shoot rainbows out of their ass!"

"I think we learned a valuable lesson. Always take down your christmas decorations after new years or you might get filleted by a hooker from God."
- both from Dean Winchester, Supernatural

"You've got a problem. Deadbolt's the number one password crack-resistant software out there. You're gonna have to get inside this guy's head to get the password."
"I thought I was calling the office of Supreme Genius."
"Well, gorgeous, you've been re-routed to the office of Too Frickin' Bad." - Garcia and Derek, Criminal Minds

"You can't stop our love!" - House

Gorbash
2008-06-19, 09:04 AM
"You can't stop our love!" - House

When did he say that? On which occasion? I remember it vaguely, so please describe the scene. :smallsmile:

Player_Zero
2008-06-19, 09:09 AM
PUNY SCUM OF CAROLINUS, PREPARE TO DIE! :smalltongue: - Flight Of Dragons

...Seriously though, I communicate solely in quotations and references, as is my wont. I couldn't possibly pick favourite out of the hundreds of thousands that I have memorised.

I suppse I'll share a couple though...

Ore wa kaizoku-ou ni naru otoko da! - One Piece

My sins are too heavy... Too heavy to ever atone for... I guess it'd be presumptuous to ask for forgiveness... - Trigun

When a cold wind blows it chills you, chills you to the bone, but nothing in nature freezes your heart like years of being alone. - A Muppet Christmas Carol

Oh, and the one in my current signature.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-19, 09:30 AM
When did he say that? On which occasion? I remember it vaguely, so please describe the scene. :smallsmile:
It's in the episode Lines In the Sand when that jailbait is stalking him.

Full scene...

Cuddy: House, can we talk? Your girlfriend called the clinic 15 times looking for you today.

House: Huh. A lot to discuss, china patterns--

Cuddy: House, she's a stalker.

House: Right, couldn't be that she finds me interesting and attractive. Has to be that she's insane.

Cuddy: She's called you 15 times; your mother's not that interested in you.

House: Well maybe I'd be better adjusted if she was.

Cuddy: I'm notifying security.

House: Is this about the carpet? Do you think I'll back off if you block all my fun?

Cuddy: You better not be having fun!

House: I'm having fun. I'm not having sex.

Cuddy: She's dangerous!

House: She's not dangerous.

Cuddy: She's pretty.

House: She's pretty.

Cuddy: Men are stupid.

House: I'm with you so far.

Cuddy: I'm notifying security.

House: Oh, give her a break, she's not dangerous, she's... insightful.

And the actual scene right after...
You can't stop our love! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmZrVwH172M)

Skippy
2008-06-19, 09:30 AM
Ore wa kaizoku-ou ni naru otoko da!

That's what SHE said!!

(Hilarity ensues!)

Gorbash
2008-06-19, 10:52 AM
PUNY SCUM OF CAROLINUS, PREPARE TO DIE! :smalltongue: - Flight Of Dragons

Oh that movie is just made of win.

Every line is badass. I mean, the first lines in the movie are awesome.

There was time between the waning age of enchantment and the dawning age of logic when dragons flew the skies, free and unencumbered. Look down there Gorbash, my friend. On the top of the earth below us, confusion and chaos reign. All mankind is facing an epic choice: a world of magic or a world of science. Which will it be?

The funniest part is when Ogre of the Gormli Keep destroys the inn when the company was staying and the next morning Gorbash and Smrgol wake up amidst the ruins:

Gorbash: Did we do this?
Smrgol: Deny everything.

The most romantic moment:

Orin Neville Smythe to dying Danielle: I would have spent my life with thee, lasse... So now I die...

And the coolest:

Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell

Collin152
2008-06-19, 06:35 PM
Ore wa kaizoku-ou ni naru otoko da! - One Piece

Hontou ka? Sou dewanai!

Purple Cloak
2008-06-19, 07:41 PM
Well heres one from 8 bit theatre.

Theif: Why are their so many dragons! Their extinct!

Red Mage: You've met dragons, a lot of them, why do you keep saying that?

Theif: *hangs head* Wishful thinking.

deepsear
2008-06-19, 08:53 PM
I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle.

Oh yeah. Ahnold FTW.

Eldariel
2008-06-20, 05:57 AM
Everything from YTAS. Everything. "We are going to do duel with Ancient Egyptian Laser Beams"; "Poor Yorick. I knew him, in America!"; "Limeyman to the rescue"; "Now Zombie-boy here is going to sing the American National Anthem!" - "Brains brains brains brains brains!" - "He has the voice of a zombie angel."; "Foolish fools! There are no women in Yu-Gi-Oh! There are only extremely girly men, and I am the girliest of them all!" - "Keep telling yourself that."; "Screw the rules, I have money!"; "Kaiba. If you really wish to know, talk to the hand!"; "I killed a gay clown for Ra's sake."; "Mako is a freaky fishguy!"; "Oh my god, a giant rock! It's a rock and it's giant!"; "My voice gives me super strength! But it also helps that I'm wearing a suit of armor."; "Damnit, I knew those childgrabbing classes were a waste of time!"; "What a digital dummy!"

and just about every other line in the show. And I didn't format those rationally since if you've seen the series, you don't need me telling you what's funny in it and if you haven't, get going!

seraphimovic
2008-06-20, 06:29 AM
"we can't stop here. this is bat country"
johnny depp in fear and loathing in las vegas. awesome movie.

"in my mind i see a pony with little legs and a tiny minuscule mustache, running towards me, barking like a dog. and i say: hey pony. that's the wrong noise you're making. wrong noise. why?"
corky and the juice pigs-remember

Thufir
2008-06-20, 04:19 PM
Smart Thog posted this back on page 2:

" Fashion is something so hideous, that we must change it every six months."
It's Oscar Wilde. Just thought I'd let you know.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty."
Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"That's a tall order."
"Perhaps. But where is it written that all our dreams must be small ones?"
Captain Lochley and Byron, Babylon 5

"Tho' much is taken, much abides, and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Tennyson

"You can't act death. The fact of it has nothing to do with seeing it happen - it's not gasps and blood and falling about - that isn't what makes it death. It's just a man failing to reappear, that's all - now you see him, now you don't, that's the only thing that's real: here one minute and gone the next and never coming back - an exit, unobtrusive and unannounced, a disappearance gathering weight as it goes on until finally, it is heavy with death."
Guildenstern, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

"Now I don't lightly use words like forever;
But I will love you 'til the end of today.
And in the morning when I remember everything that you are,
Well you know I'll fall for you over again."
David Ford

smart thog
2008-06-22, 08:11 PM
Whoa your right. Its been ages since page two. I wonder if something like this should be stickied.

Phae Nymna
2008-06-22, 08:39 PM
"He who fights monsters must take care lest he become a monster. When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Desidus
2008-06-22, 08:49 PM
Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem. - The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety. - Virgil, Aeneid

Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden

What you feel only matters to you. It's what you do to the people you love that counts. - father guy in "The Last Kiss"

Parvum
2008-06-22, 11:49 PM
"Tiny people are so hilarious when they get angry."
-Name and address withheld for internet anonimity. Anonomoty. Animinomoty. ...Not-knowing-real-name-ness.

Phase
2008-06-22, 11:57 PM
"SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!"
-The Tick

"An object at rest CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
-The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight

EDIT: Y'know what? Pretty much everything that guy says...

"So he says to me, 'You wanna be a baaaaad guy?' And I say yeah, baby! I wanna be bad! I SAYS, SURF'S UP SPACE PONIES! I'M MAKING GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS! Aaaaaa-hahahahaha!"

"And so he says, 'I don't like the cut of your jib.' And I go I says, IT'S THE ONLY JIB I GOT, BABY!"

"He says to me, he says to me, 'Baby I'm TIRED of workin' for the MAN!' I says, I says, WHY DON'T YOU BLOW HIM TO BITS?"

"I-I-I just, uh, I just uh, wanted to use the uh, heh, ah-AND SO HE SAYS, EVIL'S OKAY IN MY BOOK, WHAT ABOUT YOURS? AND I GO YEAH BABY YEAH! YEAH! I... I... uh, just wanted to, uh, wash my hands."

"Yeah? Keep playing with fire, superpants! You don't know how much fire you're playing with! Aaaaaa-hahahahaha!"

Headless_Ninja
2008-06-23, 02:45 PM
"I got all five senses and I slept last night, that puts me six up on the lot of you!" - Brendan Frye to a group of drug addicts that were about to jump him, Brick

Tiffanie Lirle
2008-06-23, 04:48 PM
Every generation laughs at the old fashions,
but religiously follows the new. -Henry David Thoreau

P.l.u.r
Peace, love, unity and respect
-DJ Frankie Bones