PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF1e] Classes and PrCs that deal with time? Paizo and 3rd party.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-30, 09:31 AM
In campaign prep I’m looking at time, the dimension of time and time travel as potential elements. What are some good classes, prestige classes and source books that deal with the subject?
Both official Paizo material and 3rd party material is relevant.

stack
2019-09-30, 10:04 AM
Can't help with major, plot-critical time travel, as I suspect that is mostly going to be a campaign specific thing, but Spheres of Power (3pp casting system usable on both Paizo and its own classes) has the Time (spheresofpower.wikidot.com/time)sphere, with abilities that cover player-centric time magic options.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-30, 10:09 AM
Can't help with major, plot-critical time travel, as I suspect that is mostly going to be a campaign specific thing, but Spheres of Power (3pp casting system usable on both Paizo and its own classes) has the Time (spheresofpower.wikidot.com/time)sphere, with abilities that cover player-centric time magic options.

The plan is to avoid actual time travel, which can ruin even the best laid plans.
I’ll take a closer look at Spheres of Power, thanks!

Calthropstu
2019-09-30, 10:58 AM
The only actual time travel option I have seen in the game is the time dragon. The only other actual 1st party time manipulation I know of is create demiplane and genesis.
DSP Psionics has a pseudo time travel spell called time hop.
Time stop, despite its name does not actually manipulate time, though it comes close. Same with haste and slow. I think maybe a demigod may have published stats relating to time, but I have not truly reviewed the bestiary 4-6.

Psyren
2019-09-30, 12:21 PM
Chronomancer Wizard would probably be my first stop for this concept. Alternatively, the Oracle has the Time Mystery and the Witch has the Time patron which you could combine with a number of scholarly archetypes for both.

Beings such as Time Dimensionals, Aevaruts and Bythos Aeons guard the flow of time and go after mortals who try to disrupt it.

Other than the obligatory Haste/Slow/Time Stop, thematic spells include Ally Across Time, Army Across Time, Temporal Regression, Temporal Divergence, Borrowed Time, Elude Time, Temporal Stasis, and Imprisonment.

Calthropstu
2019-09-30, 01:09 PM
Chronomancer Wizard would probably be my first stop for this concept. Alternatively, the Oracle has the Time Mystery and the Witch has the Time patron which you could combine with a number of scholarly archetypes for both.

Beings such as Time Dimensionals, Aevaruts and Bythos Aeons guard the flow of time and go after mortals who try to disrupt it.

Other than the obligatory Haste/Slow/Time Stop, thematic spells include Ally Across Time, Army Across Time, Temporal Regression, Temporal Divergence, Borrowed Time, Elude Time, Temporal Stasis, and Imprisonment.

While thematic, the chronomancer leaves much to be desired for dealing with time. The time mystery has some interesting time abilities but much of it is weak sauce. The time patron just adds some spells most of which have already been mentioned.

I was unaware of the time dimensionals. Those could be quite interesting. The inevitable and aeon I was aware of, but their time abilities are kinda meh to me. The aging of the bythos is a true time ability though so I suppose that is something.

Psyren
2019-09-30, 01:53 PM
While thematic, the chronomancer leaves much to be desired for dealing with time.

Being a wizard, it has access to almost every "time spell" in the game, so I'm not sure how that can be considered "much to be desired." The archetype abilities are the icing, not the cake. I'd say it's the best option for this outside of third-party, especially since OP is not looking for actual time travel.

Gnaeus
2019-09-30, 02:00 PM
DSP Psionics has a pseudo time travel spell called time hop.

Not a class, but the DSP PoW discipline Riven Hourglass is all about time. So anyone who gets that I guess.

legomaster00156
2019-09-30, 08:56 PM
As far as actual time travel is concerned, the only canon way to accomplish it is with a major artifact, the Scepter of Ages (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/scepter-of-ages/). Don't want time travel? Don't include it.

Psyren
2019-09-30, 09:07 PM
As far as actual time travel is concerned, the only canon way to accomplish it is with a major artifact, the Scepter of Ages (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/scepter-of-ages/). Don't want time travel? Don't include it.

Not quite - Planar Adventures introduced the Dimension of Time, which is difficult to get to, but if you're successful in doing so you can go backwards along your own timestream. You're not allowed to change anything, but it's a good way to pick up info from an ancestor or even something that happened to you that you may not remember clearly. You can also attempt to visit the future this way, but doing so is extremely dangerous.

StSword
2019-09-30, 10:31 PM
You might want to check out Genius Options: The Time Thief, Genius Options: The Time Warden, and Genius Options: Masters of Time.

The first two are time manipulating base classes, the third is an expansion which includes feats and options so other classes can get in on the fun- Outlander Barbarians, Cavaliers of The Order of Finality, Druids and Clerics with the Temporal Domain, Tempus Magi, Chronothurge Wizards, and Wampus Sorcerers,

TiaC
2019-10-01, 12:51 AM
Dreamscarred Press has the Voyager class. It's a 6th-level manifester gish that's heavily focused on mobile combat and time/timeline shenanigans. Every turn, you get a "parallel action" as a version of you from a possible future or a different timeline helps you out. A lot of these are time themed, especially the 3rd level ones, where you can choose to get the ability to Fast forward, Rewind, or Pause.

Ramza00
2019-10-01, 02:55 AM
So 3.5 psionics has
1 Synchronicity
3 Time Hop and Time Hop Mass 8
5 Anticaptory Strike
6 Temporal Acceleration
3 Forced Dream
9 Time Regression
9 Timeless Body
4 Quintessence
Plenty of powers that do rerolls if time is manipulating luck and probability, plenty of powers that manipulate space, plenty of powers that give insight bonuses like you are peering through time.

Pathfinder has some more stuff but also did not import some of the settings books and complete psionics.

Kurald Galain
2019-10-01, 03:19 AM
There's also the Flash Forward spell, which can be used on certain builds to make two full attacks in one round...

ShurikVch
2019-10-01, 10:10 AM
Encyclopaedia Arcane series (from Mongoose Publishing) includes Chronomancy issue - with Chronomancer base class, and PrC (Enlightened and Temporal Defender).