PDA

View Full Version : John Constantine

VikingWhoYeeHaw
2019-09-30, 12:41 PM
What is the best build for John Constantine? I was thinking about a halfling with the lucky feat. And a bard/warlock? What are your ideas?

Dork_Forge
2019-09-30, 01:02 PM
What is the best build for John Constantine? I was thinking about a halfling with the lucky feat. And a bard/warlock? What are your ideas?

I'm only scarcely familiar with the comic character (though a big fan of the movie), from what I know he's both lucky and cunning in his plays. A variant human (lucky feat) taking Rogue (thematically Mastermind, but mechanically Inquisitive seems a better choice) with Lore bard mixed in to round things out. The Magic Initiate and/or Ritual Caster would be good to show the magic he knows if you choose to go without the Bard levels (still useful with them).

Ventruenox
2019-09-30, 01:25 PM
Constantine strikes me as a Fiendlock, Tome Pact. Charlatan background, vHuman with Prodigy for expertise in Deception. Take invocations of Eldritch Sight, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, and Book of Ancient Secrets. Taking three levels into Lore Bard for Cutting Words and the spell list would also be thematic, though he wasn't the most gifted singer when he had a punk band. Focus on debuff, enchantment, and crowd control spells, delivered with a snarky attitude, and you'll be fine.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-09-30, 01:36 PM
Depends on what version you're talking about, but I'd probably go with an Arcane Trickster with Ritual Caster.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-30, 01:43 PM
rogue mastermind with the ritual caster feat and a dip in wizard.

Evaar
2019-09-30, 03:33 PM
I had an idea to play a Horizon Walker Ranger as a John Constantine type.

Analytica
2019-10-02, 07:46 PM
Human Lore Bard, wordplay instead of music. He may be the strongest occultist there is. Just very subtle and extremely cursed - everyone close to him must eventually suffer a horrible fate.

EndlessKng
2019-10-02, 11:12 PM
A lot depends on which version. Some versions make him out to be incredibly magically powerful, but in his most iconic incarnations, he's more like someone who just knows where the levers are to make the world turn to his beat. I'm kind of in the middle, and think a multiclass character would work best - Rogue main, but a bit of Warlock, Bard, and maybe some Wizard (but you could probably pass on that if you wanted to keep focused). But, doubt he's an Arcane Trickster... agree that he's more Mastermind.

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-10-10, 01:04 AM
Two main options: Arcane Trickster Rogue or Lore Bard, depending on how magically powerful you want to interpret him. Either way he's a skill master with Expertise in Deception.

I'd take the Ritualist [Wizard] feat either way (at level One as a Variant Human).