PDA

View Full Version : Was this a real spell?

BlueWitch
2019-09-30, 02:49 PM
I don't know if it was 3rd Party or Homebrewed.

But I coulda sworn there was a spell that could change one type of metal into another. (Like if you had an Adamantine sword you could change it into a Cold Iron one for a few turns)

But I don't remember the name of this spell if it even existed. So like, did it?

I could always just Homebrew one but I feel like this one existed.

Doctor Awkward
2019-09-30, 02:55 PM
There is a magic weapon enhancement in Magic Item Compendium that does that.

It's called Metalline and it's on page 38. As a standard action with a command word you can change any metal weapon to adamantine, cold iron, alchemical silver, or ordinary steel.

Braininthejar2
2019-09-30, 03:02 PM
I'm sure there is a spell that does that for claws and fangs

BlueWitch
2019-09-30, 03:16 PM
There is a magic weapon enhancement in Magic Item Compendium that does that.

It's called Metalline and it's on page 38. As a standard action with a command word you can change any metal weapon to adamantine, cold iron, alchemical silver, or ordinary steel.

Just looked it up! lol And yeah it could work just fine. Thanks for pointing it out! ^^

I'm sure there is a spell that does that for claws and fangs

This would be nice to have too for reference and later flavor.

Thurbane
2019-09-30, 03:49 PM
Well, there's a 0 level spell that temporarily makes weapons silvered: Silvered Weapon (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a).

Adamantine Weapon is a level 3 artificer infusion (Magic of Eberron).

Biggus
2019-09-30, 03:58 PM
I don't know of a spell which can change a weapon to any metal you choose, but there are specific ones.

Adamantine Weapon (MoE) for example; that one is Artificer-only though. Touch of Adamantine (BoED) is available to more classes, but while it lists various benefits of the change it doesn't mention damage reduction, despite being a higher-level spell.

Silvered Weapon (BoED) works on manufactured weapons and Silvered Claws (BoED) on natural weapons.

There's also Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane for silver and Ring of Adamantine Touch (both MiC) which at 6,000GP each will work out a lot cheaper than a Metalline weapon at high levels.

I don't know of anything other than Metalline for cold iron though.

Zaq
2019-09-30, 04:05 PM
The utterance transmute weapon isn’t a spell (SLA, but not spell), but it does what you’re describing.

BlueWitch
2019-09-30, 04:06 PM
I think I found it!

It's called "Heart of the Metal"

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/heart-of-the-metal

But thanks for these other means of doing it too. I've got more options for this upcoming event than I'd thought!

Thurbane
2019-09-30, 07:06 PM
Metal Fang (CC) allows a natural weapon to count as magical, and also as cold iron or silvered.

Stone Fist (RoS) alows the unarmed atack of a dwarf or goliath to count as cold iron.

Doctor Awkward
2019-09-30, 10:32 PM
Just looked it up! lol And yeah it could work just fine. Thanks for pointing it out! ^^

You're welcome.

Depending on what you are looking for though, that weapon enhancement is often considered strictly inferior to the Transmuting enhancement from the same book.

That one is also a +2 enhancement. One round after it strikes a creature with damage reduction, it changes the weapon automatically into whatever it needs to be to overcome that damage reduction for the next 1 minute.

So whereas metalline requires a standard action on your part and only covers specific weapon composition DR's, transmuting takes no action and covers everything in the game, including DR/epic.