PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Disguised Vampire 3.P

Techwarrior
2019-09-30, 09:25 PM
So, a vampire quest giver has given the party an errand to run. I have plans for a reveal at a later date but I ran into a bit of an issue during the party's first interaction with this NPC.

About three seconds into the interaction, one of the players guessed out of character that this NPC was a vampire. The party had been given food by their vampire host, and noticed that even though they had been served, the NPC did not have food. The NPC said this was because of their 'delicate palate.' I allowed a Knowledge check to attempt to identify the NPC, which came back with the information that the NPC was an Elf.

This particular NPC is an arcanist with some amount of rogue training, and regularly uses Disguise/Bluff to attend formal events. This is also how he had prepared for the dinner at his home, where he introduced himself to the party and gave them the quest.

What are some things I can do to hint at the idea that Disguises can give false information about race, without drawing untoward attention to the NPC in question? Basically, I want to leave bread crumbs back to the NPC, but I don't want to just hold up a neon sign.

Afghanistan
2019-09-30, 09:36 PM
Use other NPCs and describe them as being dominated with a successful sense motive check.

Sepultra
2019-09-30, 09:48 PM
Maybe the players need to infiltrate X on a mission and the only/best way to get in is to disguise as a different race? This could be very overtly stated or you could gently lead them to the answer.
Depending on your players, it might click there and then that the vampire is disguised or it might not come to them until after the reveal.