PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a ice melee cantrip

dragsaw
2019-10-01, 05:29 AM
Im have been racking my brain for a good idea for a cold damage melee cantrip like BB and GFB.

The problem is most of the ones i have thought of or found dont seem usable or are already exist as cantrips

Dork_Forge
2019-10-01, 05:34 AM
Im have been racking my brain for a good idea for a cold damage melee cantrip like BB and GFB.

The problem is most of the ones i have thought of or found dont seem usable or are already exist as cantrips

So you want it to be the same basic formula as BB and GFB? You can just change the damage type on those, otherwise it would be a damage+effect like Frostbite or Ray of Frost. Making a melee weapon version of this however would probably be overpowered as the conditions would likely be assured rather than situational like BB and GFB.

dragsaw
2019-10-01, 06:10 AM
So you want it to be the same basic formula as BB and GFB? You can just change the damage type on those, otherwise it would be a damage+effect like Frostbite or Ray of Frost. Making a melee weapon version of this however would probably be overpowered as the conditions would likely be assured rather than situational like BB and GFB.

I think ideally it would be damage+effect, reskinning BB or GFB seems a little lame so i will like to avoid it if i can. I do agree just having frostbolt/frostbite on the end of a sword is also kinda OP

nickl_2000
2019-10-01, 06:39 AM
Something I came up with awhile ago when looking into homebrewing BB/GFB style cantrips.

Freezing strike
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5ft
Components: V M (A weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of casting the spell, make a melee attack. On hit shards of ice shatter around the target. This ice settles to the ground making the ground under the target and the surrounding terrain around the target difficult terrain. This ice melts at the beginning of the casters next turn.

At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 cold damage, increasing an extra 1d6 at 11th and 17th level

There are some others in here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VzkfaK4eiyTcp0qgn7jD4jFjvUR9M5JE9JYciM_gj88/edit?usp=sharing

Damon_Tor
2019-10-01, 07:35 AM
Frozen Weapon
Transmutation Cantrip
Casting Time: Bonus Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 Minutes

You condense and freeze water vapor into ice in your hand, forming a melee weapon of your choice which lasts for the duration of the spell or until you dismiss it as a bonus action.

You can attack with this weapon normally. When you hit with this weapon you can choose to end the spell, causing the weapon to explode in a burst of cold, dealing 1d6 extra cold damage to the target of the attack.

At higher level: At 5th level the extra damage increases to 2d6 cold damage. At 11th level it increases to 3d6 and at 17th level it increases to 4d6

So right off the bat, this isn't a clone of Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade. For one thing, the weapon you create is fully compatible with the Attack Action.

Randomthom
2019-10-01, 11:09 AM
Frozen Weapon
Transmutation Cantrip

You condense and freeze water vapor into ice in your hand, forming a melee weapon of your choice which lasts for the duration of the spell or until you dismiss it as a bonus action.

You can attack with this weapon normally. When you hit with this weapon you can choose to end the spell, causing the weapon to explode in a burst of cold, dealing 1d6 extra cold damage to the target of the attack.

At higher level: At 5th level the extra damage increases to 2d6 cold damage. At 11th level it increases to 3d6 and at 17th level it increases to 4d6

So right off the bat, this isn't a clone of Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade. For one thing, the weapon you create is fully compatible with the Attack Action.

Love this, definitely stealing it! I might suggest also that at 11th level it is also considered a magic weapon.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-01, 11:38 AM
Love this, definitely stealing it! I might suggest also that at 11th level it is also considered a magic weapon.

I would think it would be a magic weapon by default, as it's created by a spell.

stoutstien
2019-10-01, 11:43 AM
Frozen Weapon
Transmutation Cantrip

This would make an interesting throwing build.
I like this but unsure of the balance.

RSP
2019-10-01, 12:21 PM
This would make an interesting throwing build.
I like this but unsure of the balance.

Might be better as either an Action to cast; or at least, changing it to +1d4 Cold damage.

Particularly at lower levels, BA for 1d6 damage seems off. I’m less worried about the scaling in terms of balance. Doing, essentially, Short Sword damage as a BA with no independent save or attack roll needed, all day, isn’t balanced, in my opinion. Not horribly broken, either, for the record.

I can’t think of any other BA cantrip, and this would be a straight improvement on the SCAG cantrips, and this kind of steps on the toes of Pact of the Blade (summon a magical weapon of any form as a BA, versus summon a magic weapon of any form as an Action).

stoutstien
2019-10-01, 12:25 PM
Might be better as either an Action to cast; or at least, changing it to +1d4 Cold damage.

Particularly at lower levels, BA for 1d6 damage seems off. I’m less worried about the scaling in terms of balance. Doing, essentially, Short Sword damage as a BA with no independent save or attack roll needed, all day, isn’t balanced, in my opinion. Not horribly broken, either, for the record.

I can’t think of any other BA cantrip, and this would be a straight improvement on the SCAG cantrips, and this kind of steps on the toes of Pact of the Blade (summon a magical weapon of any form as a BA, versus summon a magic weapon of any form as an Action).

Was my thinking as well. It's can better than shillelagh by making any melee weapon.

I think you could keep the bonus damage the same but limit the weapon to a dagger and cut the duration to one minute. I'd add a save for the ice burst but I added saves for the Scag cantrips as well.

Ventruenox
2019-10-01, 12:33 PM
I rather like this cantrip, Damon_Tor. It has a great role-play potential, but is also unbalancing to game mechanics.

It does step on the toes of the Blade Pact Warlock, replicating a class feature with better action economy and damage potential. It also somewhat diminishes the Bonded Weapons of the Eldritch Knight.

The bonus action competition makes it a potentially questionable choice for a Rogue, though it would shine with a throwing build. The damage boost it would provide to a Sneak Attack may justify the bonus action cost.

It feels very OP for Paladin use. Because it is not utilizing the Cast a Spell action, this would be a way to effectively pseudo-smite every round without spending spell slots. It also provides extra nova damage when you do smite. I can see a Levistus Tiefling Frost Giant Soul/Heroism Oath Sorcadin with an active Armor of Agathys just dominating over the rest of the party. Toss on a level of Hexblade for good measure, and you have an insane SAD melee monster.

firelistener
2019-10-01, 07:33 PM
I'd say reskin Shocking Grasp. Make it the exact same, but deal cold damage. Unless you specifically wanted something with a weapon rather than just melee range.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-01, 07:54 PM
I rather like this cantrip, Damon_Tor. It has a great role-play potential, but is also unbalancing to game mechanics.

It does step on the toes of the Blade Pact Warlock, replicating a class feature with better action economy and damage potential. It also somewhat diminishes the Bonded Weapons of the Eldritch Knight.

The bonus action competition makes it a potentially questionable choice for a Rogue, though it would shine with a throwing build. The damage boost it would provide to a Sneak Attack may justify the bonus action cost.

It feels very OP for Paladin use. Because it is not utilizing the Cast a Spell action, this would be a way to effectively pseudo-smite every round without spending spell slots. It also provides extra nova damage when you do smite. I can see a Levistus Tiefling Frost Giant Soul/Heroism Oath Sorcadin with an active Armor of Agathys just dominating over the rest of the party. Toss on a level of Hexblade for good measure, and you have an insane SAD melee monster.

Whilst I think the cantrip could do with scaling back, giving an example that uses two unearthed arcana subclass and a third notoriously overpowered subclass isn't a very good picture of balance.

Nhorianscum
2019-10-01, 07:54 PM

Mele range cold on all.

Let it go: 1d10+1d10n scaling, target drops weapon.

Let it gooo: 0+1d8n scaling, requires attack, Target and player both half movement unless the cold doesn't bother them anyway.

Let it goooooo: Minor Illusion, snowman.

BarneyBent
2019-10-01, 08:51 PM
How about a clone of BB with cold damage, except the rider is triggered if the target attacks someone other than you.

Fluff it as the opponent is covered in sharp ice crystals. Shifting position to attack a creature other than you causes 1d8 cold damage. Cantrip scaling as normal.

It’s something that sooooorta works with the fluff, and gives a tactical benefit that differs from both GFB and BB while still being valuable and in the same sort of general category.

CTurbo
2019-10-01, 09:55 PM
Frozen Blade

Evocation cantrip

Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn. If the target is hit with an attack other than you before then, it immediately takes an extra 1d8 cold damage, and the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for being hit from another attack increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

HappyDaze
2019-10-01, 10:01 PM
Frozen Blade

Evocation cantrip

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn. If the target is hit with an attack other than you before then, it immediately takes an extra 1d8 cold damage, and the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for being hit from another attack increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

So extra damage just because your buddy gangs up on the target? At least Booming Blade gives the target the choice of not moving or taking extra damage. This doesn't give the target any choice at all and the activation for the extra damage is way too easy to trigger.

CTurbo
2019-10-01, 10:09 PM
So extra damage just because your buddy gangs up on the target? At least Booming Blade gives the target the choice of not moving or taking extra damage. This doesn't give the target any choice at all and the activation for the extra damage is way too easy to trigger.

Yeah I thought about that it's probably too easy to trigger. I've been sitting here trying to come up with something better.

Mongobear
2019-10-01, 10:18 PM
I made ones for this for each damage type. Al of them follow the same patterns of damage scaling, except the Necrotic one, which only does d4's.

Fire - GFB, damage + secondary splash

Thunder - BB, damage + movement rider

Cold - Frost Blade, damage + -10 ft movement until EoT

Lightning - Static Slash, Just damage but scales faster (+1d8 instead at 1st level)

Poison - Envenoming Strike, damage + Poisoned condition until EoT (Con save)

Force - Hideous Blow, damage + ignores resistances to weapon damage

Radiant - Heavenly Strike, damage + Ability mod Temp HP, both scale up at same rate

Necrotic - Draining Strike, +1d4 damage/self healing. Only does +1d4 damage when scaling

Psychic - Ego Slice, damage + DisAdv on next attack until EoT

Obviously a few of these look a bit stronger than BB/GFB, but in play they haven't broken the game.

BarneyBent
2019-10-01, 10:19 PM
Yeah I thought about that it's probably too easy to trigger. I've been sitting here trying to come up with something better.

I suggested above the trigger occurring if the target attacks someone other than you. Though on reflection it might be better if it’s triggered if the target attacks you, since generally arcane casters aren’t tanks. Sorcadins would love it though.

HappyDaze
2019-10-01, 10:58 PM
I suggested above the trigger occurring if the target attacks someone other than you. Though on reflection it might be better if it’s triggered if the target attacks you, since generally arcane casters aren’t tanks. Sorcadins would love it though.

What if the secondary damage triggers if the target doesn't move before the end of their next turn. That is, if they don't get out of the cold.

BarneyBent
2019-10-01, 11:04 PM
What if the secondary damage triggers if the target doesn't move before the end of their next turn. That is, if they don't get out of the cold.

Then you get essentially free opportunity attacks. A character could take this cantrip, BB and Warcaster and would be basically unstoppable.

HappyDaze
2019-10-01, 11:15 PM
Then you get essentially free opportunity attacks. A character could take this cantrip, BB and Warcaster and would be basically unstoppable.

True enough.

Oh well.

It's not as though I allow anything from SCAG in my games anyway, so I probably shouldn't bother to give feedback on stuff built from it.

CornfedCommando
2019-10-01, 11:17 PM
I’ve been trying to come up with additional melee cantrips as well. I was toying around with one for acid called Corrosive Blade. While we only have the two examples set for us, it does kind of provide a framework for creating others. The rider on Booming Blade is the easiest to replicate, because it gives a pretty clearly defined condition that is triggered if the target does something in particular (i.e. moving).

So for Freezing Blade, I’d essentially copy the formula for Booming Blade, but the condition for triggering the rider would be something other than moving. Maybe something like “if the target uses a reaction before the start of your next turn.” That way they can choose a temporary limitation to avoid the damage.

Garfunion
2019-10-02, 11:27 AM
Freezing Blade

Evocation cantrip

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and you becomes surrounded by a chilling mist. Until your next turn, if a creature moves within 5ft of you, they takes 1d8 cold damage, and the spell ends.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target, and the damage a creature takes for the mist increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

Static Strike

Evocation cantrip

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and it becomes statically charged until the start of your next turn. If the target takes an opportunity attack the charge is released and deal 1d8 lightning damage to the target, and the spell ends.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for statically charged increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

Corrosive Blade

Evocation cantrip

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and corrosive bubbles appear on your weapon until the start of your next turn. If the target hits you with a melee attack, they take 1d8 acid damage, and the spell ends.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 acid damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for corrosive bubbles increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

Goggalor
2019-10-02, 02:13 PM
I liked where CTurbo was going with helping others on the team, so here is my thought (copied much of CTurbo's):

Frozen Blade

Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 5 Feet
Duration: 1 Round

On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn, during which the target's AC is lowered by your proficiency bonus until that creature is hit by an attack that targets its AC.

At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. The cold damage increases an extra 1d8 at 11th and 17th level.

Throne12
2019-10-02, 06:07 PM
Something I came up with awhile ago when looking into homebrewing BB/GFB style cantrips.

Freezing strike
Range: 5ft
Components: V M (A weapon)
As part of casting the spell, make a melee attack. On hit shards of ice shatter around the target. This ice settles to the ground making the ground under the target and the surrounding terrain around the target difficult terrain. This ice melts at the beginning of the casters next turn.

At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 cold damage, increasing an extra 1d6 at 11th and 17th level

There are some others in here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VzkfaK4eiyTcp0qgn7jD4jFjvUR9M5JE9JYciM_gj88/edit?usp=sharing

I'm taking it but changing it to create a frozen ammunition that can be fired from a ranged weapon. Change it a bit then make it 1st lv spell. So I'm just taking the idea.

ZerohFG
2019-10-02, 06:23 PM
Sleet Slap:

1 Action

An ice shell coats your melee weapon and explodes outwards in a 15 foot line pelting your enemy and those who would hide behind them. After the bits of ice hit, they fall to the ground creating difficult terrain until the start of your next turn.

So how I'd do damage would be 1d4 bludgeoning, 1d4 cold to the melee target. 1d4 cold to whoever is behind your target for the next 10 feet.

Increase damage like you would for any other cantrip.

The added effect of 15 foot difficult terrain for a round is why I wouldn't give it much in the way of damage.

redwizard007
2019-10-02, 06:56 PM
I liked where CTurbo was going with helping others on the team, so here is my thought (copied much of CTurbo's):

Frozen Blade

Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 5 Feet
Duration: 1 Round

On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in cold energy until the start of your next turn, during which the target's AC is lowered by your proficiency bonus until that creature is hit by an attack that targets its AC.

At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. The cold damage increases an extra 1d8 at 11th and 17th level.

This seems fine at low levels, but overpowered as hell at higher levels. I'd cap the AC penalty at -2 and reduce damage to 1d4 scaling.

Misterwhisper
2019-10-02, 07:00 PM
How about we make it simple.

Elemental strike
1 bonus action
Component: m(weapon)
When you cast this spell you create a weapon of your choice in your hand that deals damage of an element you choose. If this element is radiant, force, or psychic the weapon deals damage as one die size smaller to a minimum of 1d4