PDA

View Full Version : Lore Bard/War Wizard: Am I making a mistake building this?

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-10-01, 04:38 PM
I'm about to start a game at the end of the month and I have a concept in mind and I want a sanity check on it. The game starts at level 5, point buy, homebrew/UA seems to be allowed, but I'm trying to stay away from it regardless. The game is going to have 7 players (biggest game I've been in) and none of the players have knowledge of what the other players are creating.

I already have a story for a Wizard 1/Lore Bard 4 Tabaxi. Story is essentially he's a magic school drop out who ended up in the big city without any gold to his name (student loans are crippling) so started working the bar scene and odd jobs. Eventually stumbled on some sensitive information, reported it, got paid, and decided that was his calling (spy background). He hooks up with adventurers on the side when the city gets too hot to stay in or people get too close to figuring out he's stealing their info.

I like the concept, but I feel like I might be making a mistake with War Wizard. I like the idea of a smarter Bard with a little official training and I'm always drawn to Arcane Deflection, as well as the extra cantrips and rituals, but I want to be sure I'm not falling into a trap. I know a 2 level dip into anything is never devastating, but I'm curious if there's anything that better fits what I'm going for? Is Arcane deflection and other Wizard goodies worth the dip?

I'm open to other dips, or even just straight Bard, though I'm staying away from Warlock (doesn't fit my character). I also know that Whispers Bard would seem to fit my idea better on the surface, but I feel that Lore Bard is a better archetype, explains a bit of my schooling, and the Spy background covers my information gathering aspect.

Maybe just take a rogue dip? I dunno.

bid
2019-10-01, 04:50 PM
8 16 14 13 10 14 is a little tight.
8 15 13 13 10 16 isn't really better since you'll even the odds and Cha16 in both cases.
You can't start below Dex15 Cha14 or you waste some points.

I would bard 6 first, then dip for optimal. But for RP concept bard 4 / wizard 1 might fit better.
But you really want an ASI for 8 16 14 13 10 16 at level 5.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-10-01, 06:09 PM
The stats I have at the moment are 8, 16, 12, 14, 8, 16 after racials (+2 Dex, +1 Cha). Having Con that low is a little disconcerting, but it felt weird having an odd Int and if I went War Wizard, arcane deflection could help with it. I'm not planning on being too close to the fray, anyway. I'll likely be shooting a crossbow if I have to auto attack. My level first 2 ASI's would be increasing Cha. My next would be a ways away, but would probably be Lucky. That one would likely depend on party composition, since I'll have more knowledge once the game starts. I'd likely go Bard 1, Wizard 1, Bard 6 to get magical secrets, Wizard 2, Bard X.