PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Lesser Regeneration

Hilary
2019-10-02, 05:04 AM
Any parts replaced by the ring only last for one lunar cycle, then they fall off. They can be restored again by using the ring, but it means the subject will forever require the use of the ring, and they will relive the trauma of the loss of those body parts every 30 days.

Greywander
2019-10-02, 05:40 AM
See, I would have just made it regenerate stuff until you take the ring off, at which point everything you regenerated falls off. But this, this has character.

It also gives me an idea for a similar type of magic item: a ring of rebirth. If you die while wearing the ring, you are reborn at the next dawn at whatever age your species reaches adulthood. However, your rate of age is accelerated so that you die of old age at the next full moon, only to be reborn again at dawn. So every month you basically go from fresh faced teen to wizened elder. And then you die, only to be reborn to do it again the next month.

This is what magic items should be. Not boring +1 stuff. I mean, as an optimizer, the +1 stuff is cool, but it lacks any character.

Chronos
2019-10-02, 05:52 AM
What problem is this meant to solve? How often do your PCs generally lose body parts to begin with? And what's wrong with just using the bog-standard Ring of Regeneration?

StoicLeaf
2019-10-02, 06:16 AM
What problem is this meant to solve? How often do your PCs generally lose body parts to begin with? And what's wrong with just using the bog-standard Ring of Regeneration?

I think Hilary wants to torture someone.

Trandir
2019-10-02, 06:37 AM

Just my guess but probably get a substitute for a missing limb early on. And be an intresting item to find/know it exist in that setting.

Probably less than a PC every campaign loses a part of his body and survive.

A very rare magic item is something that very few people should have access to. The lesser version should be cheaper and easier to find.

Hilary
2019-10-02, 07:44 AM

This ring was acquired by a wizard who had been taken prisoner, tortured and had his hands and tongue removed. He spends his time 'arching' one of his former adventuring companions, who did eventually rescued him after choosing to save another companion over him, the choice leading to the wizard's capture.

So.. yes. I had a plot need for the item.