PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Melee Sorcerer Build

Christew
2019-10-02, 11:06 AM
Acknowledging that this is sub-optimal on the face of things, I am currently playing a Hill Dwarf Tempest Cleric 1/ Frost Giant Soul Sorcerer 4 who is melee focused. I am looking for some feedback on the build with a particular eye on higher level spells that don't require high charisma.

Stats
STR 15 DEX 8 CON 17 INT 8 WIS 13 CHA 13
HP 48
(12 Start Cleric, +9x4 Sorcerer)

Hill Dwarf nets a boost to CON and WIS (for survivability and multiclassing) and bonus HP (more survivability). Starting Tempest Cleric nets heavy Armor/shields, Martial weapons, and healing spells. Frost Giant Soul Sorcerer nets bonus HP and bonus spells. First ASI for Mobile fear nets enhanced speed and free disengage after attack.

*Cleric vs Paladin*
Starting Paladin would net us much the same benefits with a higher hit die and an eye toward smites at Paladin 2, but this comes at the cost of full spell progression. Cleric 1/Sorcerer 4 has level three spell slots (though no level three spells), which are needed to upcast on this build.

Important Spells
Cleric
Thauamaturgy, Healing Word
Sorcerer
Cantrips Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade
Level 1 Absorb Elements, Armor of Agathys, Shield
Level 2 Misty Step, Shadow Blade

Strategy
With full plate and a shield we can wade into combat with a 20 base AC (reaction Absorb Elements or Shield for enhanced defense). Twin Booming Blade allows two attacks for only one Sorcery Point. Opening rounds cast Armor of Agathys and Shadow Blade. Healing Word if anyone drops. Misty Step if you get in trouble. Thauamaturgy can be used to dim lights for advantage Shadow Blade attacks.

Nova
Round 1: Cast lvl3 Shadow Blade, engage two enemies, Twin Booming Blade, disengage.
Round 2: Engage two enemies, lvl3 Armor of Agathys and quicken Booming Blade, disengage.
Round 3-4: Repeat
This gives us 7 Booming Shadow Blade attacks (4d8+2) with Booming riders (2d8) and Armor of Agathys damage (15) at the expense of both 3rd level slots and all 4 Sorcery Points.

Future Spells
Fireball, Blink, Fly, Haste, Greater Invisibility, Thunder Step, Dimension Door (suggestions very welcome - 13 CHA disincentivises most 6+ spells)

Future ASIs
+1 Con +1 Str or Cha
Warcaster (though having the two kits of arcane focus and shield and Shadow blade and shield get around most combat casting issues - Shadow Blade can be dropped or thrown and resummoned with a Bonus Action).

strangebloke
2019-10-02, 11:35 AM
A one level cleric dip is really never a bad idea, particularly for sorcerers who can really benefit from a more generalist kit.

I like your build in general although specifically I think storm giant would be more flavorful and stone giant would be more optimal.

Another note: take your first level in sorcerer. You'll get Con save proficiency and still get heavy armor when you take your first level of storm cleric. That's not RAI but it is RAW and most DMs will permit it.

Sherlockpwns
2019-10-03, 01:09 AM
As far as eye to the future, it's basically a question of if shadowblade is the thing you will concentrate on. If so a lot of the concentration spells lose their luster, such as haste or greater invis.

This instead puts spells like mirror image, freedom of movement, or even stoneskin much higher in value.

Because your spell casting stats are so low, I'd avoid save based spells like fireball... Or even command. Instead, wall of force at 5 and similar indirect control spells are a good option instead of shadowblades all the time.

Witty Username
2019-10-03, 02:25 AM
Is frost giant sorc UA? I don't recognize it.

If you go paladin I would go at least 2 levels cause smites, and it will not cost you any additional spell progression.

Cleric is pretty solid, so I wouldn't worry going with that.