PDA

View Full Version : DM Help (Nearly) Immortal character with a Con score?

heavyfuel
2019-10-02, 12:00 PM
I wanted to create a tomb that is guarded by an immortal knight (the character class).

However, I don't want him to be undead, since that throws away his d12+Con HD for a straight up d12.

I'm okay with him being "cryogenically frozen" with a magical equivalent, as long as there's a both a guarantee that he'll wake up if the tomb is invaded AND if can go back to this frozen state after dealing with intruders so that he survives until the next invasion.

Any ideas other than handwaving it?

Edit: I want him to be humanoid. No Elans / warforged

JNAProductions
2019-10-02, 12:02 PM
Wedded To History feat, Dragon 354.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-02, 12:04 PM
[Dragonborn] warforged? That extra Con would come in handy.

Living constructs are immortal, and they only age up to, what, Middle Aged? That way, they don't get the full -6 penalties to physical ability scores, and Dragonborn would offset the Con penalty, at least..

heavyfuel
2019-10-02, 12:06 PM
Wedded To History feat, Dragon 354.

I thought of the feat, but it doesn't really fit the character, since it has to be taken at lv 1.

I'll do it if there's no other way, but I was looking for something that can be added to an existing character (Chaos shuffle aside)

heavyfuel
2019-10-02, 12:08 PM
[Dragonborn] warforged? That extra Con would come in handy.

Living constructs are immortal, and they only age up to, what, Middle Aged? That way, they don't get the full -6 penalties to physical ability scores, and Dragonborn would offset the Con penalty, at least..

I'm looking for humanoids only though. I didn't put it in the OP at first but edited it later.

Thanks for suggesting though

JNAProductions
2019-10-02, 12:09 PM
Honestly, I'd just handwave it.

If you want a more crunchy thing, say that the Knight has performed or taken part in a ritual to bind his soul to the location-so long as it stands, he lives, but he can never leave it.

Elves
2019-10-02, 12:10 PM
Why not just follow the suggestion from the same Dragon article Wedded is from and grant him the Endless (Ex) property? It's suggested that you give it to NPCs you want to have this quality. Wedded is more for players and also, annoyingly, doesn't actually grant the property or immortality.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-02, 12:13 PM
The Binding spell (Slumber variant) should do this for you.

Edit: slow-resetting specific-target magic trap of the spell for putting himself back under.

heavyfuel
2019-10-02, 12:21 PM
Honestly, I'd just handwave it.

If you want a more crunchy thing, say that the Knight has performed or taken part in a ritual to bind his soul to the location-so long as it stands, he lives, but he can never leave it.

I try to make things by the book. I'm not super opposed to handwaving, but I try to avoid it as much as I can.

Why not just follow the suggestion from the same Dragon article Wedded is from and grant him the Endless (Ex) property? It's suggested that you give it to NPCs you want to have this quality. Wedded is more for players and also, annoyingly, doesn't actually grant the property or immortality.

Wait, is there even a RAW way to get the Endless property?

The Binding spell (Slumber variant) should do this for you.

Edit: slow-resetting specific-target magic trap of the spell for putting himself back under.

This is good. Thanks!

Elves
2019-10-02, 12:29 PM
Wait, is there even a RAW way to get the Endless property?

Yes, for the DM: "[assign] it to those creatures you consider particularly long-lived in your campaign."

ShurikVch
2019-10-02, 12:30 PM
Wait, is there even a RAW way to get the Endless property?Yes.
Kissed by the Ages spell (Sorcerer/Wizard 9) - not just the same article, but the very same page as Endless SQ

Also - in case of exceptionally powerful guardian and unusually bad circumstances - Blade of Ragnarok (http://web.archive.org/web/20090602015028/https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428) :smallwink:

Biggus
2019-10-02, 12:58 PM
Make his resting place a powerful magic item which casts Temporal Stasis on him when he's been alone for a certain period of time and Freedom when anyone else enters?

Asmotherion
2019-10-02, 01:04 PM
Craft contigient spell: True resurection (trigger being "when someone enters the tomb") cast by a cleric on the target. Or Binding with the same trigger (eithe minimus containment or metamorphosis since they specify the target does not age.

Or for a statue effect have him being petrified and Craft Contigient Spell "freedom of movement".

TheCount
2019-10-02, 01:08 PM
He is a clone, and the place he is guarding has an automated cloning device/magic item. maybe add in a soul bound with its permission?
Or a curse.....after all, there is few as crushing and maddening revenge taken on you than making you the protector of what you hate the most.... bonus points if keeping IT (or ITS aftermath) sealed is the better choice.

Maat Mons
2019-10-02, 02:27 PM
But elans can be humanoid. They just need to take the Human Heritage feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-02, 02:46 PM
But elans can be humanoid. They just need to take the Human Heritage feat.As can warforged. :smallcool:

heavyfuel
2019-10-02, 04:52 PM
Yes, for the DM: "[assign] it to those creatures you consider particularly long-lived in your campaign."

Yes.
Kissed by the Ages spell (Sorcerer/Wizard 9) - not just the same article, but the very same page as Endless SQ

I dun goofed

Make his resting place a powerful magic item which casts Temporal Stasis on him when he's been alone for a certain period of time and Freedom when anyone else enters?

I do think this this will be the general idea behind it.

But elans can be humanoid. They just need to take the Human Heritage feat.

As can warforged. :smallcool:

Thing is these uncommon races don't exist in the setting. That's why it has to be a "normal" humanoid

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-02, 05:55 PM
If you want to make him really challenging then you can take out most of his gear and make him a demigod (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm). Fluff it as him having been chosen by his deity for the important task of protecting this place/thing.