PDA

View Full Version : Damage reduction question (Pathfinder 1st ed)

archon_huskie
2019-10-02, 12:43 PM
I have my players fighting a creature with DR5/magic.

the crew of their ship is firing ordinary arrows at it. which only do 1d6 damage. Does the DR reduce damage on each attack (making it able to shrug off the arrows), or the total damage it takes in the round (making the crew an actual threat to it)?

JNAProductions
2019-10-02, 12:47 PM
I have my players fighting a creature with DR5/magic.

the crew of their ship is firing ordinary arrows at it. which only do 1d6 damage. Does the DR reduce damage on each attack (making it able to shrug off the arrows), or the total damage it takes in the round (making the crew an actual threat to it)?

Per attack.

So, each arrow has (assuming a normal hit and not a crit) a 1/6 chance of doing 1 damage.

Psyren
2019-10-02, 02:39 PM
Does the ship have anything that packs more punch, like a cannon?

Also, your players might be able to get some castings of Magic Weapon (including scrolls or a wand) that can help the crew punch through.

EisenKreutzer
2019-10-02, 05:54 PM
Theres a feat, I don’t recall its name off the top of my head, that lets you total the damage you do to an enemy during your turn before applying DR. I believe it only works for ranged attacks.

KillianHawkeye
2019-10-02, 05:58 PM
Theres a feat, I don’t recall its name off the top of my head, that lets you total the damage you do to an enemy during your turn before applying DR. I believe it only works for ranged attacks.

There's definitely a fighting style feat that does this for melee attacks. Not sure about ranged....

Psyren
2019-10-02, 06:19 PM

Clustered Shots (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/clustered-shots-combat/), but that won't work across multiple archers.

There's definitely a fighting style feat that does this for melee attacks. Not sure about ranged....

Pummeling Style (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/pummeling-style-combat-style/)