PDA

View Full Version : Fighter rogue multiclass

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 01:28 PM
I recently built a fighter/rogue hybrid. The character is a combined level 17, with 11 level as a samurai and 6 levels as an assassin, does that mean I can use all class features up to this point or do I have to be either a 17 assassin or a level samurai to use those particular features?

JNAProductions
2019-10-02, 01:31 PM
You have the features of a level 11 Fighter, and a level 6 Rogue. You do NOT have access to any higher level features from those classes.

dragoeniex
2019-10-02, 01:32 PM
Your proficiency doesn't care about single or multi-class. Your hp will be split- d10s on fighter levels, d8s on rogue levels- but combined to give you a lv 17 hp pool.

Your class features are separate and only go as high as their respective levels. Assassin Rogue, for example, does not yet have Evasion and only has 3d6 for its Sneak Attack feature. It does get its Assassinate, Uncanny Dodge, and other pre-lv 6 abilities, but any that scale off of Rogue level will ignore your Fighter progression.

JNAProductions
2019-10-02, 01:33 PM
Your proficiency doesn't care about single or multi-class. Your hp will be split- d10s on fighter levels, d8s on rogue levels- but combined to give you a lv 17 hp pool.

Your class features are separate and only go as high as their respective levels. Assassin Rogue, for example, does not yet have Evasion and only has 3d6 for its Sneak Attack feature. It does get its Assassinate, Uncanny Dodge, and other pre-lv 6 abilities, but any that scale off of Rogue level will ignore your Fighter progression.

I forgot to mention proficiency! Yeah, that's about the only thing that scales off of character level and not class level. Thanks for bringing it up!

Hail Tempus
2019-10-02, 01:34 PM
I recently built a fighter/rogue hybrid. The character is a combined level 17, with 11 level as a samurai and 6 levels as an assassin, does that mean I can use all class features up to this point or do I have to be either a 17 assassin or a level samurai to use those particular features? You get whatever features the Samurai gets from level 1-11, and whatever features a rogue gets from 1-6. So, look at the respective charts in the PHB and Xanathar for those classes and that's what you have.

Keep in mind, though, that you get the full boat of level one proficiencies from your starting class, but you only get whatever level one proficiencies might be listed on the multi-class table in the PHB for your second class.

dragoeniex
2019-10-02, 01:41 PM
I forgot to mention proficiency! Yeah, that's about the only thing that scales off of character level and not class level. Thanks for bringing it up!

Happy to help, haha. Teamwork and all!

I almost went in on the multiclassing spell interaction, then realized this was a martial/martial character and caught myself. :P

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 01:49 PM
Thanks for advice. The rules for multi classing aren't exactly clear. I can still do what I had originally planned, just not as much damage as I was thinking

Rukelnikov
2019-10-02, 02:13 PM
Thanks for advice. The rules for multi classing aren't exactly clear. I can still do what I had originally planned, just not as much damage as I was thinking

If you were thinking about gaining advantage from the Samurai feature to qualify for Sneak Attack and then attacking 3 times, take into account you only apply Sneak Attack damage once per turn.

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 02:17 PM
That's partially what I was thinking, so would the sneak attack damage work only on the first attack, or all three attacks?

Rukelnikov
2019-10-02, 02:26 PM
That's partially what I was thinking, so would the sneak attack damage work only on the first attack, or all three attacks?

Technically it can work on any one attack you want, but only once per round.

The most simple way of using it is just applying it to the first attack that hits, and be done with it. However you can choose not to apply it to the first attack that hits, and fish for a critical on which to apply it, that's more risky than its worth more often than not, since if you dont land any other attack you "waste" your Sneak Attack for the turn.

Take into account also, that turn and round are not the same thing. Each player gets a turn in a round, so if during someone else's turn you manage to hit something and you qualify to apply sneak attack damage you can do so too, the most common way for this to happen would be an enemy provoking an attack of opportunity.

zinycor
2019-10-02, 02:29 PM

Even though it doesn't apply to this character, cantrips also scale with character level

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 02:30 PM
So on any given turn, I get 3 attacks because of the level 11 fighter, my thought was that I could deal maximum damage with each attack because of the assassinate feature and sneak attack. Was the wrong way of thinking?

Willie the Duck
2019-10-02, 02:46 PM
So on any given turn, I get 3 attacks because of the level 11 fighter, my thought was that I could deal maximum damage with each attack because of the assassinate feature and sneak attack. Was the wrong way of thinking?

I'm not sure where you get the maximum damage thing. Here is what you get -- On the first round of combat, if you act before your target, all three* of your attacks have advantage on attack rolls. In addition, if they are surprised, any hit you score against them is a critical hit. In further addition, since advantage on attacks against them can trigger your sneak attack, you can add +3d6 (or +6d6 if it is indeed a crit.) to one of the attacks (must choose to apply or not before you roll the next attack).
*plus one more if you have a bonus-action attack like dual-wielding, plus 3 more attacks if you expend your fighter-derived action surge ability)

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 02:49 PM
Ok. That makes sense. My orginal plan was to essentially play hide and seek. Attack 3 times, then use the hide feature and then do it again the next turn. That was the thought behind the character, attempting to deal alot of damage quickly

Hail Tempus
2019-10-02, 03:07 PM
Just to clarify- you can sneak attack once per turn , but more than one time per round. Setting up multiple sneak attacks per round falls into the advanced course for rogues.

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 03:34 PM
Just to clarify- you can sneak attack once per turn , but more than one time per round. Setting up multiple sneak attacks per round falls into the advanced course for rogues.

I knew about setting up multiple sneak attacks, my thought was more of how i can maximize the damage from the sneak attacks. I thought being able to attack more than one time in a turn would benefit me. Is there a way for me to maximize the sneak attack damage with this build?

Hail Tempus
2019-10-02, 04:11 PM
I knew about setting up multiple sneak attacks, my thought was more of how i can maximize the damage from the sneak attacks. I thought being able to attack more than one time in a turn would benefit me. Is there a way for me to maximize the sneak attack damage with this build? Not really. To maximize sneak attack, you need a reliable way (such as the Sentinel feat) to trigger sneak attacks outside of your turn. I don't see anything in this build that does that.

I think splitting levels between fighter and rogue may not be the best approach for what you're trying to do. You'd be better off dropping multi-classing and focusing either on being the best possible fighter, or the best possible rogue. A level 17 rogue with the Sentinel feat has the potential to routinely sneak attack twice per round, and roll a crazy number of d6's for damage.

Daelic27
2019-10-02, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was really hoping I could make this work the way I thought it up in my head