PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wizard/Cleric support Build advice

chevyboys
2019-10-02, 02:25 PM
Hello! I'm fairly New to 5e, but not to d&d

I am trying to create a powerful, flavorful 6th level total Wizard/(cleric, bard, or sorcerer), who is based around the philosophy that Knowledge is the greatest weapon. To this end, I am looking to make a character that its divination/illusionist support (and I will probably have to handle most of the party's charisma based skills.). I am allowed access to anything allowed in adventure's league, and possibly anything created by matt mercer (my dm is a big critical role fan).

Dungeon Master: Favors political intrigue, mystery, and investigation, not dungeon crawls. (Also is probably insane. He likes to spend hours almost every day world building, and enjoys us asking him questions about specifics of his world.) The campaign world is Tal'dorei based.

Race: Variant Human or human was suggested by my Dm, but he will allow Elf or Gnome without limitation. (Specific campaign setting restrictions on the others require some hoops I would rather not jump through.)

Ability scores:
18,18,16,14,14,6 (In no particular order, before racial modifiers)

Background: Preferably something to do with political power, or knowledge.

Equipment: 500 gp and starting gear, and an amulet that casts cleans, repairs, and maintains my clothing, and styles my hair constantly.

Probable Party composition: (None of other players usually like to be charismatic, So usually I am the party face in our campaigns, however everyone in our group is vary roleplay oriented, instead of heavy combat).

A caster that is focused on AoE damage,
A Barbarian (who is very narrative oriented, despite creating combat oriented characters)
A rogue, (who will probably go for a high insight and investigation, but asked me to back her up on those skills if possible)
Ranged attacker (She hasn't chosen a class yet).

this character is also going to be used in oneshots down the road with a much broader set of allies.

What would be the best way to build a character that values knowledge (and deception) as the best weapons, But isn't terribly underpowered? Is it better to just go one class instead of multiclassing?

Note: Dm has asked me to not be a warlock.

Sorry If I forgot something majorly important. pretty new to Giant in the Playground.

Slipperychicken
2019-10-02, 02:51 PM
First thing: Knowledge and its value are completely dependent on your GM and his ability/willingness to not only have lore, but prepare it in advance, and also go out of his way to make knowledge useful for you in big enough ways to make such powers worth it. I have never found such a GM who will tolerate it for more than a few sessions. After that, they invariably make up execuses to not give you as much helpful knowledge. Maybe it's just a pile of extra work for them, or maybe you just can't know things that the GM doesn't, but every time I've made a knowledge-focused character I've regretted it within ~3-4 sessions.

For the build, I'd get a cleric level and throw bless at your party. Say some BS about probability or predictions of skillful combat and you're good.

CheddarChampion
2019-10-02, 02:54 PM
I suggest 1 level of knowledge cleric then divination wizard all the way.
Rock Gnome gets you these stats:
6/14/15/20/18/16
Choose a background with deception as a skill.
Choose spells you like. You could start another thread for advice on spells useful for intrigue.

You get:
2 of Arcana, History, Nature, and Religion with expertise (double proficiency bonus)
2 of them with normal proficiency
Proficiency with insight and deception
Medium armor and a shield
Spell slots like a full caster
Spells known as a wizard of 1 level lower
5 total cleric spells prepared
2 cleric domain spells
Advantage on saves vs spells that might be used to gain info from you/manipulate you
Proficiency with Wisdom and Charisma saving throws (good to resist similar things)

Later on:
Resilient (Constitution) (a feat) to bring your Con to 16 and keep your concentration on spells
Skilled (a feat) to get investigation, stealth, and perception
Boost Wisdom to 20
Maybe take a level in rogue for one more skill, lockpicking, and boost two skills to expertise

Some other advice:
Don't show up the other players too much with being super good at intrigue. It'll make it so that any intrigue revolves around you and others can't help very much (or even play very much).

Bobthewizard
2019-10-02, 02:54 PM
So I'd go 1 level of knowledge cleric and then wizard the rest of the way. I like divination with this but illusion or enchantment would fit too. Put the 18's in INT and CON, 16 in Charisma, 14's in DEX and WIS and then the 6 in STR. Take persuasion as a skill and you are good enough face.

chevyboys
2019-10-02, 03:06 PM
First thing: Knowledge and its value are completely dependent on your GM and his ability/willingness to not only have lore, but prepare it in advance, and also go out of his way to make knowledge useful for you in big enough ways to make such powers worth it. I have never found such a GM who will tolerate it for more than a few sessions. After that, they invariably make up execuses to not give you as much helpful knowledge. Maybe it's just a pile of extra work for them, or maybe you just can't know things that the GM doesn't, but every time I've made a knowledge-focused character I've regretted it within ~3-4 sessions.

For the build, I'd get a cleric level and throw bless at your party. Say some BS about probability or predictions of skillful combat and you're good.

The gm is basing it off of Tal'dorie, and has also tends to really enjoy deep plot, and lots of world building. He loves it and spends hours working on it, so I don't think that lack of lore are going to be an issue, but thanks for the advice!

Foff
2019-10-02, 03:07 PM
knowledge and deception are pretty powerful tools to any character, expecially at lower levels where you're expected to find enemies who aren't flat out immune to charms and illusions (eg: true vision liches and stuff)

any wizard, even straight classed with no pollution from other sources, will be able to add to their repertoire many spells who'll work just about that way (hypnotic pattern, phantasmal force, fear, suggestion, enemies abound), look up treantmonk's god wizard on google you'll find out much useful insights on playing such a character

bards are also mvps in this slot, full casters and generally better than everyone else at most skill checks in the game (intiative, counterspelling, dispelling, deceiving, persuasion, insight). College of Lore and College of Whispers probably being the best fit for what you're looking for.

warlocks CAN definately fill such a slot pretty much on par with trickery domain clerics who are also a great pick.

sorcerers are generally more about blasting and immediate power but you could set up a character like that using the new Unearthed Arcana subclass if allowed, or the shadow sorcerer feel.

arcane tricksters are less magic focused than all of the above but definately are capable of pulling of trickery and illusions.

My two cents are on a Vhuman wizard with the alert or observant feat, even Keen Mind is a useful tool (the "my DM takes notes for me" feat), focus your spells known on utility spells, pick up the minor illusion cantrip and build up your spellbook from there.

Aaron Underhand
2019-10-02, 03:28 PM
vHuman

Knowledge cleric 1/Lore bard x

St 6 (what fun a strength item would be...)
Dex 14 - you have medium armor
Con 17 with your +1 set up for Res (Con)
Int 14 - enough for ritual caster wizard...
Wis 18
Cha 20 (with your +1 and the Actor feat)

Brilliant party face - plenty of spell power - good hp and AC
Exceptional skills
And all the extras bard (and lore) brings... specifically inspirations on a short rest, cutting words reactions, and stealing spells (counterspell, find greater steed, wish...)

Best at will damage will be cleric cantrips.... was ever thus with Bards...

feats: Bard 4th - Res (Con), 8th Ritual Caster Wizard

Keravath
2019-10-03, 01:03 PM
If you want to be party face, master of skills and an exceptional support class then

Knowledge cleric 1/ lore bard X

If you want to be less proficient with skills and have a spell book with a wider range of spells and ritual casting then

Knowledge cleric 1/ divination wizard X

Divination just for the portents and other knowledge related abilities but almost any wizard school could work. However, you won't be as good at skills, you won't have all the social skills but you may have a wider selection of spells.

On the other hand, the bard also has a good selection of spells (and will have magical secrets at level 6 where fireball and counterspell are good choices) and not all bards need to be entertainers if that doesn't fit your concept. You could have a character that attended a bard college for the knowledge. They are interested in lore and stories and knowledge ... not performing them.

Overall, if you want skilled and knowledgeable but very capable I would go with Knowledge cleric 1/lore bard X.

P.S.

The suggestion to put your 6 into strength is likely the best choice but it will give you a very low carrying capacity (90 pounds max) and poor Athletics skill (though as a lore bard you will likely be at least proficient at it). The resilient con and actor feats are also good choices. Though you could also put the +1 into int or wis and take the observant feat instead, boosting Cha to 20 with your second ASI. Observant can be very useful for intrigue/observation/political type campaigns depending on how your DM might deal with lip reading and passive perception/investigation.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-10-03, 01:33 PM
First thing: Knowledge and its value are completely dependent on your GM.... every time I've made a knowledge-focused character I've regretted it within ~3-4 sessions.

Ditto for illusions.

Aaron Underhand
2019-10-03, 01:38 PM
If you want to be party face, master of skills and an exceptional support class then

<snip>

Overall, if you want skilled and knowledgeable but very capable I would go with Knowledge cleric 1/lore bard X.

P.S.

The suggestion to put your 6 into strength is likely the best choice but it will give you a very low carrying capacity (90 pounds max) and poor Athletics skill (though as a lore bard you will likely be at least proficient at it). The resilient con and actor feats are also good choices. Though you could also put the +1 into int or wis and take the observant feat instead, boosting Cha to 20 with your second ASI. Observant can be very useful for intrigue/observation/political type campaigns depending on how your DM might deal with lip reading and passive perception/investigation.

As noted one of the easiest magical augmentations is Strength. however I would also note that the party has an AoE blaster, so I might favor Misty step as a second magical secret at 6th level (Counterspell as the first!).

Also I might avoid taking insight or investigation, to allow the Rogue to shine. Consider instead giving the rogue both guidance and bardic inspiration, for an average +7 :-)

Oh and Noble background works well...

Lyracian
2019-10-03, 02:16 PM
Knowledge cleric 1/ divination wizard X

These would be my suggestions too.

Half-Elf Bard ~ S 6 D 17 C 15 I 14 W 18 Ch 20
If you take Half Elf you end up with 12/18 skills by fourth level between Knowledge Domain and Lore subclass; four of them with expertise.
You do not need high Wisdom but it never hurts you could put it into Dex instead if you want to be more stealthy or want a half feat like Observant (lip reading could be useful in a political campaign). I did not bother with Cleric attack spells and just use Mockery all the time. Starting with a 20 in your casting ability means you can pick up plenty of support Feats including Inspiring Leader and Ritual Caster if wanted. I would still take Resistance (Con) thought as it is very powerful.

Elf Wizard ~ S 6 D 20 C 14 I 19 W 14 Ch 16
Elf, Half-Elf or V-Human works well here. High Elf can start with 20 Dex and gets AC 19 in studded leather and shield. Level 4 ASI pumps Int to 20 and Con 15 then Level 8 is Res (Con).
You get a lot less skills this way but still have enough to be party face. Full Wizard spell book gives you lots more options than the bard as you get Rituals as well as utility spells that are not needed every day.

Background.
For political power I think you only have Noble and Spy. I like Noble especially if you are allowed to customise backgrounds. You can swap to start with one musical instrument proficiency and then get a second when you take Bard (if going that route).

vHuman
Int 14 - enough for ritual caster wizard...

Your Wisdom score is enough for Ritual Caster you do not need the Int for Wizard spells. Not that you are going to get less than a 14 int with these stats!