PDA

View Full Version : Hit me with bard ideas.

Jmarsh56
2019-10-02, 06:55 PM
I am going to take the plunge and finally play a full on bard in my upcoming campaign, he is going to be a southern gentleman and have a thick(ish) cajun accent Wainwright Jakobs basically. He is going to be travelling around and stumble across a portal to the feywild where him and a nymph settle down and have several children. After 10 or so years of living in the Feywild he decides its time to return to adventuring one last time before settling down for good.

I am thinking Valor because I really want that medium armour, but I also want the bardiest experience out of it (Lore Bards, know what I mean?). I'm not opposed to multiclassing but it also isn't something I am looking to do unless its Warlock (a gift from his bride).

I hate to ask about builds, I know build what your character would use, but with so many options with magical secrets I am just looking for rough ideas.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-10-02, 07:04 PM
I am going to take the plunge and finally play a full on bard in my upcoming campaign, he is going to be a southern gentleman and have a thick(ish) cajun accent Wainwright Jakobs basically. He is going to be travelling around and stumble across a portal to the feywild where him and a nymph settle down and have several children. After 10 or so years of living in the Feywild he decides its time to return to adventuring one last time before settling down for good.

I am thinking Valor because I really want that medium armour, but I also want the bardiest experience out of it (Lore Bards, know what I mean?). I'm not opposed to multiclassing but it also isn't something I am looking to do unless its Warlock (a gift from his bride).

I hate to ask about builds, I know build what your character would use, but with so many options with magical secrets I am just looking for rough ideas.

Did you read any bard build guides yet? Or search magical secrets postings? LOTS of good stuff there.

My all-time favorite 5e character was a high-mobility valor bard with high Dex and sharpshooter (didn't get 18 Cha until 12th). He made great use of THL/Heat Metal/Hypnotic Pattern/etc. and retreat, then shower the unaffected with arrows. Also, Faerie Fire, Polymorph, Animate Objects, Synaptic Static. Disguise Self, Invisibility, and Suggestion for out of combat.

In keeping with the high mobility and long range theme, I took Misty Step and Fly for 10th level MS. But even I would agree that those were sub-optimal picks (although great fun).

Jmarsh56
2019-10-02, 07:14 PM
I have read through a few guides about whats good and whats meh, I do like the idea of valor bard taking swift quiver at 10th level to literally make it rain. I am really mostly stuck between valory goodness using mostly weapons and spells as support, possibly dipping paladin at some point for juicy smites(ahem I mean taking an oath to return to my beloved), and lore with all the magical secrets possibly dipping archfey lock for my wife.

Laserlight
2019-10-02, 07:42 PM
If you're going to be Cajun, take Tool Proficiency: Cooking Implements.

Jmarsh56
2019-10-02, 07:48 PM
If you're going to be Cajun, take Tool Proficiency: Cooking Implements.

Two steps ahead of you, I am thinking halfling and in his time retired he has spent much time cooking for him and his family. Got a bit of a gut haha

Bobthewizard
2019-10-02, 08:39 PM
Valor bard's melee ability is uninspiring for me. I like the medium armor and shield but would prefer to get it with a feat and get the Lore Bard's extra magical secrets.

An Archfey warlock dip doesn't do much for me. Hexblade is the best dip for a bard. It gets you medium armor and shield and the shield spell but doesn't seem to fit your theme.

1 level in wild magic sorcerer might be fun. Take some damage cantrips, shield and absorb elements. Use tides of chaos every chance you get and then hopefully role a wild magic surge every time you cast shield or absorb elements. Seems to fit the crazy cajun from the Feywild theme.

chainer1216
2019-10-02, 08:43 PM
Mountain Dwarf Lore bard, do it all!

ZerohFG
2019-10-02, 10:18 PM
So this will only work if you are stat rolling, as it could get a bit wonky otherwise. It also doesn't use warlock as your mutlitclass, but I will try to sell you on it anyways.

Start:
level 1-
Rogue for skills, skills, skills, and more skills. expertise in those skills. You're endgame is being the belle of the ball, rose of the south. To that end having the ability to supercharge yourself right from the start is great.

level 2- Cleric nature domain. For starters, you now not only have medium armor like you wanted, but heavy armor as well if you really want it. That's not why we take it though. Since your wisdom won't be high, you want to snag utility spells... which 2? Why Thamaturgy and druidcraft of course. You're a bard, so that's 2 of the 3 performance spells right there.

level 3-20 - Lore bard. More skills, expertise, more skills, some extra magical secrets. snag prestidigitation for the third of the performance trio, and minor illusion and you are set to perform.

You will have a good arsenal of out of combat skills, and spells that at no point out of combat will you be bored, and in combat you can snag fireball and find greater steed and rain fireballs(or worse at later levels) from above

CornfedCommando
2019-10-02, 10:43 PM
If he spent ten years hanging out in the Feywild, I’d think the College of Glamour would be a great thematic choice.

Jmarsh56
2019-10-03, 06:48 AM
So this will only work if you are stat rolling, as it could get a bit wonky otherwise. It also doesn't use warlock as your mutlitclass, but I will try to sell you on it anyways.

Start:
level 1-
Rogue for skills, skills, skills, and more skills. expertise in those skills. You're endgame is being the belle of the ball, rose of the south. To that end having the ability to supercharge yourself right from the start is great.

level 2- Cleric nature domain. For starters, you now not only have medium armor like you wanted, but heavy armor as well if you really want it. That's not why we take it though. Since your wisdom won't be high, you want to snag utility spells... which 2? Why Thamaturgy and druidcraft of course. You're a bard, so that's 2 of the 3 performance spells right there.

level 3-20 - Lore bard. More skills, expertise, more skills, some extra magical secrets. snag prestidigitation for the third of the performance trio, and minor illusion and you are set to perform.

You will have a good arsenal of out of combat skills, and spells that at no point out of combat will you be bored, and in combat you can snag fireball and find greater steed and rain fireballs(or worse at later levels) from above

Not gonna lie, I dont hate this idea I have actually entertained something like this minus the rogue. But I'm guilty of power gaming and I am actively trying to stay away from multiclassing just for skills and stuff haha.

If he spent ten years hanging out in the Feywild, I’d think the College of Glamour would be a great thematic choice.

I have entertained this and the college of eloquence also. No decisions have been made.

airless_wing
2019-10-03, 08:40 AM
Wainwright Jakobs was mentioned as being a pretty bad shot at long ranges, so a ranged Valor bard isn't a perfect fit (but, of course, do as you see fit!).
+1 for Glamour Bard: it seems to fit Wainwright's general demeanor, and especially fits into your backstory. It's insane how good Glamour Bards are in and out of combat: charming whole rooms of people and being able to Command on a whim is powerful, plus you really enhance the mobility of everyone else.

I say go all-in on Bard; there's too many great enhancements every level for me to want to multi class with bard. Take Moderately Armored if you really want some extra Dex and AC; 14 Dex should be plenty, so start with 13 if you want. Then pump up that Charisma.

As for your magical secrets, there are sooooo many great options. Since you have so much battlefield control already, you can do some ridiculous things with Spirit Guardians. Fluff the guardians as members of the Jakobs estate for some fun, cowboy flavor.

Jmarsh56
2019-10-03, 08:56 AM
Well Wainwright in personality specifically, not mechanically. But I do think in have shifted towards valor. I'm thinking of taking my first level as something else to get medium armour and taking magic initiate to get the spells I want as a gift from my bride. Of course a lot of this depends on what level we actually start at, I dont want to just out of the blue be able to cast bardic magic 3 sessions in because I finally multiclass into it after starting as a fighter or whatever.

Nidgit
2019-10-03, 11:53 AM
Well Wainwright in personality specifically, not mechanically. But I do think in have shifted towards valor. I'm thinking of taking my first level as something else to get medium armour and taking magic initiate to get the spells I want as a gift from my bride. Of course a lot of this depends on what level we actually start at, I dont want to just out of the blue be able to cast bardic magic 3 sessions in because I finally multiclass into it after starting as a fighter or whatever.
You're shifting for or away from Valor Bard? You wouldn't need to get medium armor from another source if you go Valor.

Personally, I'd go either Lore or Glamour depending on whether you'd rather deliver ornery insults to your enemies or vamp a minute's worth of borderline gibberish to enthrall others with your conversational ability. I'd also take a dip of Hexblade down the line and flavor it as a protective gift from your nymph spouse, but one that threatens to tear you away from her as it attempts to gain hold on your soul.

Hexblade gets you armor, spells, and a few extra abilities and frees you up to pursue a career in one of the more eloquent Bard subclasses.

Jmarsh56
2019-10-03, 03:48 PM
You're shifting for or away from Valor Bard? You wouldn't need to get medium armor from another source if you go Valor.

Personally, I'd go either Lore or Glamour depending on whether you'd rather deliver ornery insults to your enemies or vamp a minute's worth of borderline gibberish to enthrall others with your conversational ability. I'd also take a dip of Hexblade down the line and flavor it as a protective gift from your nymph spouse, but one that threatens to tear you away from her as it attempts to gain hold on your soul.

Hexblade gets you armor, spells, and a few extra abilities and frees you up to pursue a career in one of the more eloquent Bard subclasses.

I must have mistyped that on my phone, away from Valor. I have thought of Hexblade it would also allow me to not need to take magic initiate to get what I'm looking for. Definitely down to Lore or Glamour.

Yunru
2019-10-03, 03:51 PM
I do like the idea of valor bard taking swift quiver at 10th level to literally make it rain.
In that case I'd suggest Animate Objects instead. It simply does so much more for the investment, and you can cast it on arrows to stay in theme.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-03, 08:42 PM
An Archer built from a swords Bard dipped into arcane Archer fighter can use Grasping Shot on attack 1 then Mobile Flourish on attack 2 to force the enemy to take the extra damage from Grasping Shot.

Zerubbabel
2019-10-03, 09:24 PM
Reading these comments makes me double down on not allowing multi-classing and feats in my campaigns.
Personally, I think it kills the character to power-trip out with a thief-cleric-fighter-wizard dip in bard a bit and max out on feats with a (soulless)variant human.

Go traditional - Bard (just a bard) lore, Tiefling with bloodline from Dispater (I think that gives Cha, Dex bonus). And you're good to go. Let that damn Halfling thief open the locks and check for traps!

CornfedCommando
2019-10-03, 09:54 PM
If you want to armor up a bit, go Variant Human and take Moderately Armored as your bonus feat. Then pump Charisma. You could flavor a bard’s Magical Secrets as a gift from your nymph wife.

Jmarsh56
2019-10-04, 06:30 AM
Reading these comments makes me double down on not allowing multi-classing and feats in my campaigns.
Personally, I think it kills the character to power-trip out with a thief-cleric-fighter-wizard dip in bard a bit and max out on feats with a (soulless)variant human.

Go traditional - Bard (just a bard) lore, Tiefling with bloodline from Dispater (I think that gives Cha, Dex bonus). And you're good to go. Let that damn Halfling thief open the locks and check for traps!

Ok so your type of fun is different from my type of fun? This stuff is allowed in my games so it's not like I'm cheating or breaking any rules, if you dont like it that's fine but you dont need to come in here telling us that our fun is wrong.

I am a numbers guy and I have a character in mind I'm just trying to figure out how to make the numbers match the character.

Bobthewizard
2019-10-04, 08:32 AM

I don't know. For me, my class isn't my character. I'm playing a lore bard right now but that's not who she is. She's a foundling mark of storm who used to pilot an airship for the Brelish Navy, before she deserted. At some point, she found she could make things happen when she played her harmonica. She doesn't know how it happens. For her, Lore bard is just her mechanics, but she feels more like a musical sorcerer. I wouldn't dip Warlock or Cleric for her since she values her freedom too much but I might take a level of divine soul sorcerer later on for shield and absorb elements. She's not going to even realize it.

So I guess I fall in the middle. I want the multi class to fit the character but it doesn't have to be super justified. Anyway, when I DM I let players do what they want. If you want to powergame your character, go for it. If you want to play a pure class that's fine too.