PDA

View Full Version : What Alignment Am I?

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-02, 07:28 PM
I was born in a mixed community of humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, half-orcs, half-elves and gnomes. I can't stand the presences of evil although I also love the thrill of anarchy to get my adrenaline going on an adventure. I always have a heart of gold as well. I tend to be a peacemaker to settle a dispute with my party even if I have a conflict with one of my team as well. I do believe in mercy sparing a foe life except for an evil outsider which is why I killed evil outsiders no matter what petty excused they say. What alignment am I?

BaronDoctor
2019-10-02, 08:21 PM
1) I was born in a mixed community of humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, half-orcs, half-elves and gnomes.
2) I can't stand the presences of evil
3) although I also love the thrill of anarchy to get my adrenaline going on an adventure.
4) I always have a heart of gold as well.
5) I tend to be a peacemaker to settle a dispute with my party even if I have a conflict with one of my team as well.
6) I do believe in mercy sparing a foe life
7) except for an evil outsider which is why I killed evil outsiders no matter what petty excused they say. What alignment am I?

1) Non-factor on Good/Evil, Non-factor on Lawful/Chaotic.
2) Non-evil.
3) Not sure if this is the "thrill of battle" or the different puzzles of adventures, etc. If it's one of those? Non-factor.
4) Non-evil
5) Good
6) Good
7) Given D&D and the elimination of Evil outsiders as generally being Good..., this is probably non-evil.

So let's total things up: Neutral with Good tendencies at more evil, Neutral Good at more good.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-02, 08:24 PM
1) Non-factor on Good/Evil, Non-factor on Lawful/Chaotic.
2) Non-evil.
3) Not sure if this is the "thrill of battle" or the different puzzles of adventures, etc. If it's one of those? Non-factor.
4) Non-evil
5) Good
6) Good
7) Given D&D and the elimination of Evil outsiders as generally being Good..., this is probably non-evil.

So let's total things up: Neutral with Good tendencies at more evil, Neutral Good at more good.

Well it's a thrill of battle.

ezekielraiden
2019-10-02, 08:51 PM
Sounds like some flavor of Good, or at least *wanting* to be Good but maybe falling short (depends on the balance between the "peacemaker" part and the "loving the thrill of vattle" part). The overt reference to anarchy makes me think the character doth protest too much: it WANTS to be seen as Chaotic Good whether or not that fits.

So I'd say NG, CG, CN, or TN (in pretty much that order) depending on the details of the character's actions and values. They don't sound Lawful (excessive emphasis on mercy, for instance), and while it's theoretically possible to be a merciful and peace-loving Evil character, it seems unlikely in this case. So you're in the non-Lawful non-Evil part of the grid, favoring Good and to a lesser extent Chaos.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-02, 08:55 PM
Sounds like some flavor of Good, or at least *wanting* to be Good but maybe falling short (depends on the balance between the "peacemaker" part and the "loving the thrill of vattle" part). The overt reference to anarchy makes me think the character doth protest too much: it WANTS to be seen as Chaotic Good whether or not that fits.

So I'd say NG, CG, CN, or TN (in pretty much that order) depending on the details of the character's actions and values. They don't sound Lawful (excessive emphasis on mercy, for instance), and while it's theoretically possible to be a merciful and peace-loving Evil character, it seems unlikely in this case. So you're in the non-Lawful non-Evil part of the grid, favoring Good and to a lesser extent Chaos.

Well I'm Chaotic Good. That's really fits the bill.

weckar
2019-10-02, 08:56 PM
Is this you in real life or one of your characters?

Regardless, it is a poster for neutral good.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-02, 08:59 PM

One of my characters.

Mordante
2019-10-03, 04:44 AM
I'll join

My character grew up in a smallish community. The community doesn't really have crafters or farmers. Everyone is trained for combat (Ronin). When you graduate you can join a different school. When you reach a certain level you are supposed to leave the community. Go out into the world and send back money so the community can buy food housing etc. My character did the first combat year like everyone must do and then joined the Bard school since pure combat seemed a lot of work.
Both schools I did graduate 1ronin 1 bard but with minimum effort on my side. Then I left the community to earn money. Instead of being a mercenary or similar I joined a traveling troupe and danced for money. In a certain town I left the troupe and started dancing in bars for money and when I got the chance seduce young and dumb rich men so I could relieve them of some money. I do send my share back to the community I grew up in.

When money is tight I don't mind doing the odd mercenary work and adventuring. I'm not too picky on the job. Helping a loan shark get his money, or making a loan shark disappear is all fine as long as I can keep my hands relative clean. I don't want a reputation of being harh/bad/evil.

Quentinas
2019-10-03, 05:38 AM
I would say TN as alignment he doesn't want to be evil ,and he has some tendency of good but not so much and for the chaotic legal side it appear to be neutral even here so for me in order TN CN NG

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-03, 06:15 AM
I agree it sounds like true neutral.

Crake
2019-10-03, 06:19 AM
I can't stand the presences of evil

Evil is very broad. What about "evil" can you not stand, and why?

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-03, 06:29 AM
Evil is very broad. What about "evil" can you not stand, and why?

Torture, abusing people, killing people for an evil reason. May I need to say more? I thought this was pretty obvious. :annoyed:

Crake
2019-10-03, 08:17 AM
Torture, abusing people, killing people for an evil reason. May I need to say more? I thought this was pretty obvious. :annoyed:

That's caricaturish evil, and most people are turned off by such egregious displays of evil, to the point where mentioning it is pointless, as it's practically the norm.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-03, 08:19 AM
That's caricaturish evil, and most people are turned off by such egregious displays of evil, to the point where mentioning it is pointless, as it's practically the norm.

What do you mean by caricaturish? :confused:

Asmotherion
2019-10-03, 08:27 AM

One of my characters.

Presumably; otherwise i'd really love to see were you grew up... There are freaking Elves and Gnomes there!

Crake
2019-10-03, 08:41 AM
What do you mean by caricaturish? :confused:

google "caricature"

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-03, 08:45 AM
google "caricature"

Oh I see. But still evil is very obivous to me.

Bavarian itP
2019-10-03, 11:22 PM
I was born in a mixed community of humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, half-orcs, half-elves and gnomes.

Is this you in real life?

Okay .......................

Buufreak
2019-10-03, 11:41 PM
Oh I see. But still evil is very obivous to me.

Is it, though? Many day to day actions happen all around each and every one of us. Are you saying that you have an innate ability to zone in on each and every one of them that is evil?

Personally, I think that I am evil. Very evil, capital E and all. Would you actually notice that?

ChaosStar
2019-10-03, 11:45 PM
Is it, though? Many day to day actions happen all around each and every one of us. Are you saying that you have an innate ability to zone in on each and every one of them that is evil?

Personally, I think that I am evil. Very evil, capital E and all. Would you actually notice that?
Oh? What do you do that is Evil? Do you kill for pleasure? Do you make others suffer for the enjoyment of it? Do you hurt or abuse those whom you should love?

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-04, 12:02 AM

No I didn't know notice that. But I don't judge.

Buufreak
2019-10-04, 10:02 AM
Oh? What do you do that is Evil? Do you kill for pleasure? Do you make others suffer for the enjoyment of it? Do you hurt or abuse those whom you should love?

I will gladly address those later.

No I didn't know notice that. But I don't judge.

But you said evil is very obvious to you. How could it be so obvious and you not notice?

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-04, 10:04 AM

But you said evil is very obvious to you. How could it be so obvious and you not notice?

Good question...Hmmm. :confused:

Buufreak
2019-10-04, 10:36 AM
Essentially that's my point. Unless someone is constantly under the effect of detect evil, how could you possibly know each and every individual that you encounter that is absolutely evil or not? The world is filled with so many shades between the two absolute poles, where is the line drawn? At what point does detect evil, or even just your sense of morality tipped over to someone's actions? What if they consistantly have evil thoughts, but never act on any of them, instead specifically doing good to attempt to counter balance that?

It's just not that simple. It's not that cut and dry.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-04, 10:50 AM
Essentially that's my point. Unless someone is constantly under the effect of detect evil, how could you possibly know each and every individual that you encounter that is absolutely evil or not? The world is filled with so many shades between the two absolute poles, where is the line drawn? At what point does detect evil, or even just your sense of morality tipped over to someone's actions? What if they consistantly have evil thoughts, but never act on any of them, instead specifically doing good to attempt to counter balance that?

It's just not that simple. It's not that cut and dry.
And you have a great point on that note. I guess detecting evil isn't as simple as you say.

Buufreak
2019-10-04, 12:46 PM
And you have a great point on that note. I guess detecting evil isn't as simple as you say.

Which is what Crake was saying. Anyone can spot the characteristics of a caricature. That's the entire point of them existing, it's almost like satire. However, they only really work in cartoons like Snivley Whiplash.

ezekielraiden
2019-10-05, 04:17 AM
I'll join

My character grew up in a smallish community. The community doesn't really have crafters or farmers. Everyone is trained for combat (Ronin). When you graduate you can join a different school. When you reach a certain level you are supposed to leave the community. Go out into the world and send back money so the community can buy food housing etc. My character did the first combat year like everyone must do and then joined the Bard school since pure combat seemed a lot of work.
Both schools I did graduate 1ronin 1 bard but with minimum effort on my side. Then I left the community to earn money. Instead of being a mercenary or similar I joined a traveling troupe and danced for money. In a certain town I left the troupe and started dancing in bars for money and when I got the chance seduce young and dumb rich men so I could relieve them of some money. I do send my share back to the community I grew up in.

When money is tight I don't mind doing the odd mercenary work and adventuring. I'm not too picky on the job. Helping a loan shark get his money, or making a loan shark disappear is all fine as long as I can keep my hands relative clean. I don't want a reputation of being harh/bad/evil.
Sounds TN to me, though I could see arguments for CN or maybe a hanging-by-a-thread CG or NG.

Your character is happy to lie to richer people for money, possibly even stealing it, which sounds weakly non-Good and weakly Chaotic. Preferring gig work instead of a steady job sounds weakly Chaotic. However, you make sure to keep sending money back home, even when times are lean--that sounds pretty strongly Lawful, particularly since it's enough to overcome your aversion to combat if you need the money. You avoid "nasty" jobs, so you've got at least some standards--you could maybe call it a very low-ambition Lawful Evil, but I just don't see the Evil in it really.

So yeah. True Neutral sounds about right to me. You're pulled strongly Lawful by your upbringing, but have enough little pulls toward Chaotic from personal preferences and past deeds that things kind of balance out.

dude123nice
2019-10-05, 11:30 AM

You should address them now, since we need an idea of why you could actually be evil, and not pretending just to prove your point.