PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Half-Vampire Template +0 LA

ThatHobbitGuy
2019-10-02, 09:13 PM
I'm not 100% sure this is where I should post this but for a 3.5 game I am playing, I thought it would be fun to play a vampire or a Half-Vampire, and when I saw the Half-Vampire template (https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/halfvampire.shtml) I decided to make one with +0 LA. I didn't really make anything new but just changed stuff from the one I found. I know it is bad but it's my first try at something like this

"Half-vampire" is an inherited template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The creature's size and type do not change.

A half-vampire uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Armour Class: A half-vampire's natural armour bonus improves by 2.

Damage Reduction (Su): A half-vampire has damage reduction 5/silver or magic.

Fast Healing (Ex): A half-vampire heals 1 point of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point but less than half its full normal hit points. As long as the vampire has more than half its full normal hit points, its fast healing does not function (but other forms of healing still function normally).

Resistances (Ex): A half-vampire has resistance to cold 5 and electricity 5.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Dex +2, Cha +2.

Feats: A half-vampire gains Improved Initiative, if the base creature doesn't already have that feat.

Weaknesses: Half-Vampires cannot be repelled by garlic or holy symbols, though they can be turned. Mere presentation of a holy symbol gives a Half-Vampire -4 penalty to physical ability scores and on all attacks, saves, and skill checks while it is presented. If garlic is ingested by a Half-Vampire they will throw up the meal and take a -4 penalty to physical ability scores and on all attacks, saves, and skill checks for the next 4 hours.

They have a slight fear of mirrors, and are shaken at the sight of them, and this lasts for 1d4 + 2 rounds after the mirror is gone, but they cast reflections as living beings do.
Half-Vampires can cross over or through running water with no impediments, though if they are fully immersed they will drown as normal for the base creature.

A Half-Vampire is not as vulnerable to sunlight as a normal vampire, and can go about in broad daylight if it desires. If they are under direct sunlight for more than hours a day, it takes a -4 penalty to physical ability scores and on all attacks, saves, and skill checks for the rest of the day.

A Half-Vampires is not killed outright by a wooden stake driven through its heart, but the stake deals x10 damage and automatically counts as a critical hit. If the Half-Vampire is reduced to 0 hit points or less they turn to dust.

paddyfool
2019-10-03, 02:48 PM
This seems to be both rather complicated, and also far too good to get for free. The only really limiting factor is the sunlight issue (and even then, you've not specified how many hours you're thinking of, and it wouldn't matter at all in, say, the Underdark).

I'd file off almost all of this. For a free template, you'd have to have only a touch of vampirism, with some give and take, eg with the following:

Vampire-blooded (+0 LA):
Your blood carries a faint taint of vampirism
- When you coup de grace an opponent, you may if you choose gain 10 temporary HP; doing this multiple times cannot push your total higher than 10 beyond your normal max HP. If you do this, then for the next 1 day you suffer the following effects: you become vulnerable to Turning or Commanding as if Undead, you may not enter consecrated ground, you suffer double damage from Holy weapons, your reflections in mirrors become transparent, and you become Light-sensitive (if already light-sensitive, the penalties are doubled).

Keep it simple.