PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Improved Grab

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-16, 12:12 AM
A PC in a game I'm DMing is a shapeshifter variant druid (phbII) who focuses on grappling and he is interested in gaining improved grab. Is there any RAW way of getting the monster ability? If not, would it be "broken" to allow it as a feat?

Aside from that, I'd like some advice on optimizing him in general. He is a gestalt s.s. druid/bear totem barbarian which sounds formidable, but he pales in damage output when compared to the blaster psion/wilder. Spells and feat suggestions are especially useful... shocktrooper/leap attack cheese is out of the question as is ToB. Thanks!

Seffbasilisk
2007-10-16, 12:16 AM
Bear Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion.

deadseashoals
2007-10-16, 12:16 AM
Scorpion's Grasp from Sandstorm basically grants it as a feat, but it requires Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple.

Armads
2007-10-16, 12:20 AM
He could get Improved Grab as a Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian (it's like the infamous Lion Totem, with Improved Grab instead of Pounce).

Alternatively, he could use the Feral template (which is overpowered and should never be used ever). The Bearlord (animal lord) from CAdv grants Improved Grab when Wild aspect is activated (gained at level 3, lasts for a limited time).

EDIT: Ninja'ed

RTGoodman
2007-10-16, 12:25 AM
If he meets the pre-requisites (I'm not sure, but it might require Rage), there's the Bear Warrior, which actually transforms the character into a bear (all of which have Improved Grab).

Of course, I'd say the Bear Totem Barbarian (the one from Complete Champion, I assume, since the one in the SRD doesn't give it) is probably the best bet.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-16, 12:35 AM
I don't have the complete champion, but thanks for the recommendations. Is there an excerpt somewhere?

Scorpion's Grasp is basically perfect, by the way, thanks!

Keld Denar
2007-10-16, 08:33 AM
The Were-Touched Master PClass from one of the Ebberon books. Its allows you to basically "take levels" of wearbear. One of the abilities you get really early is imp grab when you "shift." I don't exactly remember what is involved in shifting, but I think you could probably get away with wildshaping as shifting.

Wolf gets the wolf trip ability, and tiger gets pounce. Pretty sick Pclass if you ask me.

lord_khaine
2007-10-16, 08:38 AM
why doesnt he just settle for imrpoved grapple from PHB?

Person_Man
2007-10-16, 09:38 AM
Yeah, Scorpion's Grasp is the way to go, especially for a Druid. Be sure to read the Rules Compendium excerpt on Grapple as well. It clears up a lot of issues.

RTGoodman
2007-10-16, 09:41 AM
why doesnt he just settle for imrpoved grapple from PHB?

They're two completely different things. Improved Grapple gives a +4 bonus on Grapple checks and allows you to make them without provoking attacks of opportunity (and also requires you to either be a monk or have taken Improved Unarmed Strike). Improved Grab, on the other hand, is just an ability lets you get a free grapple attempt whenever you hit with a specific weapon. For instance,

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a brown bear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.