View Full Version : Conjure Woodland Beings Questions

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-10-03, 12:15 AM
This seems really interesting and I have a couple questions:

1 Can I conjure a mixture of creatures? Boggles and Pixies for example.

2 If I don't speak Sylvan for example can I communicate with a Pixie?
2a: I guess they're friendly with me and will at least do something that appears helpful?
2b: Can I create a Sprite and 7 Blink Dogs and use the Sprite to command the Blink Dogs, or Pixies?

3 Can a silly pixie really cast Phantasmal Force, Entangle, then Polymorph all in the same rest period? Their save DC isn't ridiculous but the chance to use Pixies to cast Fly on the whole party is too good to pass up.

4 What else do I need to think of?

Thanks in advance!

bid
2019-10-03, 12:31 AM
Whichever creature was close will come.
You don't control what appears, the DM decides.

This interpretation puts a big damper on the spell.

chokfull
2019-10-03, 12:32 AM
1. Yes, but the DM actually gets to choose what you summon. You only select the number and challenge rating.

2. The spell allows you to communicate with them, and they will follow verbal commands. The DM might rule that they cannot speak Common, however, so it might be one-sided.

3. Based on the stat block I can find online, it looks like they can cast each spell once. Pixies are a pretty well-known "exploit" for this spell, which is why the DM is allowed to choose what you summon.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-10-03, 01:09 AM
Ah, I had to go reread. The DM choosing IS the wording. Thank you.

Pixies all the time would be too good. Best one could probably hope for is a die roll determing if you got Pixies, Sprites, Blink Dogs or even Boggles. Sprites aren't totally pointless even I guess, someone has to fail a save and fall asleep eventually.

An even a forced spread of two of each of them would not be the worst. The predictability would even be useful.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-03, 01:18 AM
1) DM choose.

2) My bard had a habit to cast comprehend language every 50 minutes as a ritual (casting a spell with a casting time of more then 1 action make you use your action and concentration so the lovely lady was singing song every 50 minutes (ritual casting of a bard is way nicer when you sing/play for it)).
*In my current game the spell is banned for story reasons so I am looking for a different reason for my bard to sing every 50 minutes, maybe detect magic?

If you have the ability to cast rituals I will recommend grabbing the spell.

You can always point of your friends and do the T-Rex small arms movement for the pixie to know who to polymorph (with the spell you may be able to swing your head right to left very fast when she say rat instead of T-Rex).

Playing pantomime IRL can be really funny for the whole table.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-10-03, 08:56 AM
1) DM choose.

2) My bard had a habit to cast comprehend language every 50 minutes as a ritual (casting a spell with a casting time of more then 1 action make you use your action and concentration so the lovely lady was singing song every 50 minutes (ritual casting of a bard is way nicer when you sing/play for it)).
*In my current game the spell is banned for story reasons so I am looking for a different reason for my bard to sing every 50 minutes, maybe detect magic?

If you have the ability to cast rituals I will recommend grabbing the spell.

You can always point of your friends and do the T-Rex small arms movement for the pixie to know who to polymorph (with the spell you may be able to swing your head right to left very fast when she say rat instead of T-Rex).

Playing pantomime IRL can be really funny for the whole table.

That's hilarious. The chance to pantomime a T-Rex or great ape and then having the party decide you did a bad job and she polymorphs your partymate into a Labrador Retriever.

NaughtyTiger
2019-10-03, 01:23 PM
Ah, I had to go reread. The DM choosing IS the wording. Thank you.

My version of the spell doesn't specify who gets to choose, nor limit it to whatever is closest.
WOTC has pushed DM chooses because it prevents pixie abuse... (but DM always has the power of override anyway)

Wuzza
2019-10-03, 01:42 PM
That's not actually correct, at least according to the PHB. (I checked this out a couple of weeks ago as I'd just got it on my druid)

"You summon fey creatures that appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range, Choose one of the following options for what appears....

….The DM has the creatures' statistics."

The DM choosing is in the errata. My group is old school, we interpret rules as we see fit, and don't see the need in getting a "definitive version" on the web.

Either way, unless you come up with something extremely cheesey, I don't really seeing it being an issue.

Do you even know what a T-Rex is????

*edit* This isn't meant to be antagonistic, just meant to highlight it doesn't really matter what anyone else does, as long as your table is happy. :smallsmile: