PDA

View Full Version : Help make the ultimate Optimized character

Mandarin
2019-10-03, 01:57 AM
Here is the Goal and Rules

Goal: Make the most survivable character possible

Rules:
Must use 2 classes to multi class, each class must be level 20, total level will be level 40
Character must be adept at combating creatures you would find in hell
36 Point buy to start
No Magic classes that source magic from another person/god/ect (Warlock/Cleric/ect)
Game will not utilize many short rests or out of combat moments

Vorpalchicken
2019-10-03, 02:40 AM
I'd probably do a Hill Dwarf Totem Barbarian and Champion with Tough, Resilient Wisdom and maybe Dwarven Fortitude. Starting Stats 14 16 14 13 14 13. Ending 24 20 24 14 16 14. 664 HP. Near constant rage for resistance to most damage and when lower than 332 HP better regeneration than a troll (and it's not stopped by fire.)

Totems: Bear (3) Eagle (6) Eagle (14)

Could possibly drop 2 points of Intelligence for Great Weapon Mastery but perhaps a shield would be better for survival.

Not sure what if any magic items are granted.

Quoz
2019-10-03, 03:18 AM
Paladin/zealot barbarian. Zealots literally are too angry to die, so long as they can maintain rage HP doesnt matter. And once it's over they can lay on hands to get back to positive HP. Ridiculous saves from paladin against all the nastier effects that can end your rage early, and plenty of ability to smite all the nasty creatures you will face, even while enraged.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-03, 03:34 AM
Paladin/zealot barbarian. Zealots literally are too angry to die, so long as they can maintain rage HP doesnt matter. And once it's over they can lay on hands to get back to positive HP. Ridiculous saves from paladin against all the nastier effects that can end your rage early, and plenty of ability to smite all the nasty creatures you will face, even while enraged.

You beat me to it so I will give a different suggestion :)

Ancient Paladin Moon Druid(I like kobold for my mood druids).

Paladin need no god, he take his power from the Oath, it is power of personality.

Druid need no one, just nature.

Take resilient con.

Take war caster for never dropping concentration and elemental melee cantrip as a reaction.

Never leave elemental form, use a full plate for the rare dropping out of elemental form.

Take sentinal for more reaction melee cantrip attacks.

Take magic initiate for a melee cantrip (I don't think a druid get one).

Don't take fire damage to hell, that is a bad idea.

The rest of ASI are for cha and wis.

Dump everything that is not cha/wis/con.
You will need str 13 for the multiclass.

Take Paladin first so you will get the paladin armour prof that doesn't have the line that prevents you from using metal armour.

If you want to do something bad take Paladin/Divine Soul for
Forbiddance, the bane of all that live in hell.
I recommend asking the DM about this spell as it ****up every hell game.

There is always the paladin 6/monk14 for noping every save effect, I will still say moon druid 20 for the rest.

Nhorianscum
2019-10-03, 07:27 AM
Arcana cleric 20/Divine Soul20.

With tough and +5 con we've got 446 hp + every single relevant buff all of the time + even more hp from whatever temphp source we chose. We're functionally as fat as we want to be.

Except we can turn demons, and have dual 9ths.

nickl_2000
2019-10-03, 07:30 AM
There is always the paladin 6/monk 14 for noping every save effect, I will still say moon druid 20 for the rest.

I know you said 2 classes, but this is a crazy powerful way to go. Proficiency in all saves, +char mod to all saves, and infinite HP from Moon Druid forms.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-03, 08:01 AM
I know you said 2 classes, but this is a crazy powerful way to go. Proficiency in all saves, +char mod to all saves, and infinite HP from Moon Druid forms.

Well, you can always just take 4 resilient feats as a paladin druid
You should have more then enough ASIs.

I will take a melee cantrip for war caster using magic initiate.
Sentinal. And have some spears for cha and wis(no need for str or dex, just be a slow metal box with paladin heavy armour and never get out of elemental form if you don't need to talk.).

Vorpalchicken
2019-10-03, 08:03 AM
I mean.. you don't think zealots and paladins need to be empowered by deities? I guess depending on the campaign. ?.

Vorpalchicken
2019-10-03, 08:07 AM
You can only take Resilient once.

RSP
2019-10-03, 08:20 AM

Redemption Pally gets you regeneration at 1/2 hps

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-03, 08:21 AM
I mean.. you don't think zealots and paladins need to be empowered by deities? I guess depending on the campaign. ?.

Path of the Zealot
Some deities inspire their followers to pitch themselves into a ferocious battle fury. These barbarians are zealots — warriors who channel their rage into powerful displays of divine power.

A variety of gods across the worlds of D&D inspire their followers to embrace this path. Tempus from the Forgotten Realms and Hextor and Erythnul of Greyhawk are all prime examples. In general, the gods who inspire zealots are deities of combat, destruction, and violence. Not all are evil, but few are good.
About the Zealot I am not sure.
It is not clear from the text IMO.

The Cause of Righteousness
A paladin swears to uphold justice and righteousness, to stand with the good things of the world against the encroaching darkness, and to hunt the forces of evil wherever they lurk. Different paladins focus on various aspects of the cause of righteousness, but all are bound by the oaths that grant them power to do their sacred work. Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin’s power comes as much from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god.
A paladin power is primarily from the Oath.
See that many paladins devoted to gods, not all of the paladin and that the oath is the first power source that is mentioned.

You can only take Resilient once.

My bad, was thinking it was 6 different feats all this time.

Vorpalchicken
2019-10-03, 08:29 AM
But to whom is the oath sworn? The OP is going to have to list forbidden classes and subclasses.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-03, 08:33 AM
But to whom is the oath sworn? The OP is going to have to list forbidden classes and subclasses.

From the way I read it the paladin swear the Oath to himself.

It is a force of personality.

And I agree, OP please add a class list.

Klorox
2019-10-03, 08:44 AM
Most survivable level 20/20 character?

Yuan-ti pureblood druid/paladin

Druid gives you basically unlimited hit points, and paladin lets you add +5 to every saving throw with your 20 CHA. Yuan-ti gives you advantage on those saves.

On top of that, you can take out enemies real fast because you have 30 spellcasting levels to smite them all down.

Actually, nix that. Wizard is the most powerful class anyway. Might as well add 20 levels of paladin for the saves and smites if you ever need them. Yuan-ti again, because they get advantage on all those saves.

Spiritchaser
2019-10-03, 08:48 AM

That’s... just wow.

All those forms will have AC near 20 as well, with monk armor... and presumably will be able to dodge as a bonus action. Take vengence or ancients to pick up misty step for those force cages...

Tough to hit, nearly immune to anything with a save, only vulnerable to massive spike damage or maybe disintegration...

And you still have full druid spell casting

Gignere
2019-10-03, 09:02 AM
You should have more then enough ASIs.

I will take a melee cantrip for war caster using magic initiate.
Sentinal. And have some spears for cha and wis(no need for str or dex, just be a slow metal box with paladin heavy armour and never get out of elemental form if you don't need to talk.).

You can only take resilient once.

sithlordnergal
2019-10-03, 02:53 PM
Here is the Goal and Rules

Goal: Make the most survivable character possible

Rules:
Must use 2 classes to multi class, each class must be level 20, total level will be level 40
Character must be adept at combating creatures you would find in hell
36 Point buy to start
No Magic classes that source magic from another person/god/ect (Warlock/Cleric/ect)
Game will not utilize many short rests or out of combat moments

Ok, lets see what I can do here:

Race: Half-Elf

Classes: Zealot Barbarian/Moon Druid

Str: 16

Dex: 14

Con: 16

Int: 10

Wis: 14

Cha: 12

Str: 20

Dex: 14

Con: 24

Int: 10

Wis: 18

Cha: 12

Lvl 4: +2 Wis

Lvl 8: +2 Wis

Lvl 12: +2 Con

Lvl 16: +2 Con

Lvl 19: Great Weapon Master

This build works by turning you into a nearly unkillable tank that never sleeps and never stops. This is done by a mixture of Elemental Wild Shape and the Arch Druid's unlimited Wild Shapes and the Zealot Barbarian's Rage Beyond Death and Persistent Rage. I will admit you won't be casting very many spells with this build since you should be raging 24/7. The Barbarian's Persistant Rage makes it so you never stop Raging unless you choose to stop Raging or you're knocked Unconscious, while Rage Beyond Death makes it so you don't stop Raging even if you fall to 0 HP and fail three death saves. That mixed with the Half-Elf's immunity to sleep and access to Elemental forms that are immune to Exhaustion, and you essentially lose the need to rest for any reason at all. You'll never fall unconscious, so you'll never stop Raging, and if you never stop Raging you'll never die from HP loss.

Not that HP loss matters since you'll always have tons of bonus HP from your Wild Shapes. To make it even better, since you keep all of your class features like Extra Attack and Weapon Proficiencies, you can turn into an Elemental that resists Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage and continue to use a Great Axe to make Extra Attacks with it. Honestly, the only things that can kill you are instant death effects...but most of those shouldn't matter since in order to use them they'd have to get your Wild Shape form's HP low enough for them to effect you. And you can just refresh that HP or go into Barbarian form as a Bonus Action.

Laserlight
2019-10-03, 06:49 PM
Paladin 20 / DM 20.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-03, 07:09 PM
There is always the paladin 6/monk14 for noping every save effect, I will still say moon druid 20 for the rest.

Go with Artificer 20 instead of Druid for saves that are literally impossible for any published enemy to overcome and AC that only gets hit on a crit.

nickl_2000
2019-10-03, 07:32 PM
Paladin 20 / DM 20.

DM 20 / DM'S spouse 20

Bobthewizard
2019-10-03, 08:12 PM
I'd take Moon Druid 20 / Wizard 20. Simulacrum and wish beat a paladin's aura. You don't need armor or hit points with a level 20 moon druid.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-03, 08:17 PM
It's possible we're overlooking something important here: with a character level of 40, imagine what we can do with True Polymorph or Shapeshift.

Gurifu
2019-10-03, 10:43 PM
Wizard 17/anything else 23. An endless series of your Simulacra, themselves True Polymorphed into Tarasques, do your bidding in Hell as you sit on your private demiplane and DM for your party members a game just like the one you're playing in, but in which you can't take more than 14 levels in any Full Caster class because 8th level spells break the game.

Just in case somebody finds their way into the plane where you're hiding, you and all your party members are True Polymorphed into Ancient Gold Dragons (who are shapeshifted into human form, so they can play your game of D&D).

2019-10-04, 11:54 PM
I hear there's this pretty chad sorlock build that makes all the virgin wizards go crying to mommy. Shame he's so Chaotic he doesn't even follow the laws of chargen. :smalltongue: