PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items Needed - Planar Travel, Magical Seals

Skein
2019-10-03, 02:14 AM
OK good folk (and others), I'm hoping you can help.
I'm running a campaign where the PCs are trying to stop the planes of existence merging together, as a great spell which keeps the nine hells/feywild etc apart from the material world unravels.

As such, I'm looking for magic items associated with sealing, portals and planar travel, so far I've only one found the Dimensional Shackles.

I'm hampered by someone 'borrowing' my DMG right now 😒

Any ideas? All rarities welcome, homebrew is fine.

Slayn82
2019-10-03, 02:38 AM
There's the Cubic Gate. It's a legendary item, but it's not so unbalanced as it's pretty limited in effect. You get a connection to the prime material and 5 random planes of DM's choosing, has 3 charges, gets 1d3 charges back every dawn.

You may even add some additional limitations, saying it's a prototype or repaired item. It's the kind of item that allows a lot of experimenting and plot twists. Maybe it needs to cool down between each use.

Nowhere it says you arrive at a desired or a fixed place on your target destination. I like the idea of reaching a different place depending of where you are coming from. Good for adding some random encounters. See how your players like spending an hour in an volcano full of salamanders to reach their target.

Also, some places don't have a dawn. You may even argue it only recharges on Prime Material plane. So, the owner may need to find another way back.

Skein
2019-10-03, 05:44 PM
Thanks, because it's legendary I might have the party quest for parts of the Cubic Gate (there's lvl 9 spells in there)

Sigreid
2019-10-04, 07:19 AM
The Well of Many Worlds

Talsin
2019-10-04, 09:58 AM
Portal Stone; This stone is drawn to the arcane energies of Planar Portals. It pulls with a small, yet perceivable force in the direction of the nearest planar portal. If it gets within 30 feet of the portal, the stone will be pulled more strongly to the portal - Make a STR check to keep hold of the item (your discretion). If you fail the check, the stone flies to the portal, discharges its magic, and becomes an inert stone. If the stone is taken through a Planar portal it will also lose its magic, becoming an inert stone.

Falconcry
2019-10-05, 04:20 PM
The heart of a Horizon Walker

Lunali
2019-10-05, 05:22 PM
The heart of a Horizon Walker

The rest of the horizon walker optional.

dragoeniex
2019-10-05, 11:27 PM
Tuning forks are another option that could be easy to overlook, but a great starting place. These are the required, price-tagged components a caster needs to cast Plane Shift-- one fork for each plane it's tuned to. These make up the most common method a powerful mage might weave their way through those planar barriers.