PDA

View Full Version : Player Help "no frills" Wizard for a backup character

Reprimand
2019-10-03, 12:42 PM
So in my current campaign i'm the most experienced player in 3.5 which isn't saying much since i mainly play oneshots and theorycraft. This is only my 2nd major campaign with any group.

I may have made a small mistake (forgetting to have an evil cleric last undetectable alignment before entering a town that was hosting a group of paladins I wasn't aware that clerics aura scaled so quickly T_T) that resulted in the proverbial hornets nest bearing down in me in the next few sessions and while I'm confident in my ability (and my groups) to escape I'd kind of like to draft up a character just in case.

As it stands most the group is either NE, CE or CN. We have plenty of spellcasters and our orignal party warrior stopped showing up to sessions so we're team squish.

My current characters is a rogue 4 / wizard 1 / unseen seer 2 that basically is the party sage and face massive investment in social skills and knowledges
The DM is generally against the revolving door of new characters and making a character will generally bring you in at your current level -2 so my new character would be 5th level

I'm basically looking to fill the niche as sage again but focus on utility magic to fill a void without outshining the newer players with anything too showy. I'd rather be a toolbox and take a backseat on most party decisions this time around.

As such I basically wanted to make a pretty vanilla human wizard generalist (or domain wizard because why not) and get some advice for all the spells that are just never BAD to have my current feat layout looks like this:

Human: Extend Spell
Flaw: Improved Counterspell (obviously not optimal but allows me to help in fights without stealing spotlight)
Flaw: Sculpt Spell
1: Cooperative spell (mage of the arcane order)
W1: Scribe Scroll
3: Craft wondrous Item
W5: Craft Wand

So I'll be able to make wondrous items and wands and eternal wands for the group and making use of the transference spell to help offset xp costs

Things I need are advice on spells choices and maybe feats / prcs minor changes I can make to improve this character without going around deleting encoutners

Also I know about the treantmonk handbook to being god but the links to his spell reviews aren't working for me does anyone have a working set of links to his spell guides?

Afghanistan
2019-10-03, 01:00 PM
Also I know about the treantmonk handbook to being god but the links to his spell reviews aren't working for me does anyone have a working set of links to his spell guides?

During the transfer, those details were lost, however the web archive (https://web.archive.org/web/20150401154620/http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) of it has all of the pages of the thread in as published condition.

That said, you have a party full of spellcasters of some sort or another allowing everyone in the party to essentially be their own set of toolbox for whatever resources are necessary. With your current build, you don't have much resources to do much of anything in the realm of spellcasting besides abusing Alter Self, Benign Transposition, Grease, Web, Glitterdust, Enlarge Person on your designated fighter for the day, Nerveskitter for initiative boosting, etc. You only have access to 2nd level spells and are ECL 7 which, to some, might come across as a bit of an issue :smalltongue:

What is the rest of your team anyway? You said they were all spellcasters of some sort or another, but didn't specify.

Reprimand
2019-10-03, 01:13 PM
During the transfer, those details were lost, however the web archive (https://web.archive.org/web/20150401154620/http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) of it has all of the pages of the thread in as published condition.

That said, you have a party full of spellcasters of some sort or another allowing everyone in the party to essentially be their own set of toolbox for whatever resources are necessary. With your current build, you don't have much resources to do much of anything in the realm of spellcasting besides abusing Alter Self, Benign Transposition, Grease, Web, Glitterdust, Enlarge Person on your designated fighter for the day, Nerveskitter for initiative boosting, etc. You only have access to 2nd level spells and are ECL 7 which, to some, might come across as a bit of an issue :smalltongue:

What is the rest of your team anyway? You said they were all spellcasters of some sort or another, but didn't specify.

One is a kobold Sorcerer he's basically the dispel magic / magic missile / illusion machine
the other is our halfling wizard todd howard who is currently trying to get access to the chaos domain for animate object for on the go ballistias via floating disk
one is a literial troll the kobold convinced to join us and is only 1 ecl ahead of the party and barely impacts xp at all.
my cohort is only a 2nd level cleric rogue and the one that pinged the detect evil as I didn't realized a 2nd level cleric pinged quite so high. otherwise I would have got cleric 3 for undetectable alignment
My character is really not a good caster but I'm abusing darkness / darkvision / ebon eyes along with ring of the darkhidden (invisibile to darkvision) with sneak attack and shocking grasp and you know practiced spellcaster. Also knowledge devotion and divine insight pair quite well.

I got the whole party on character creation to nab rings of the darkhidden and healing belts so our jaunts into the underdark have gone surprisingly well other than bulette and we just ran into a narrow passage back up the surface so he had to use burrow and we outran it.