PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork!

Kurald Galain
2007-10-16, 04:53 AM
According to the RAW, you can use a masterwork tool to give you a +2 bonus to skill checks, for any skill you like. While this is obvious for e.g. lockpicking, it gets somewhat weird with certain other skills. Suggest your masterwork tools for each skill here!

o Appraise: magnifying glass, scales
o Balance: balancing rod, I guess
o Bluff: sunglasses, formal clothing
o Climb: rope (doesn't really make sense), spiked shoes (better)
o Concentration: one of those zen focus thingies
o Craft
o Decipher Script: magnifying glass, again
o Diplomacy: formal clothing, perfume
o Disable Device: general toolkit
o Disguise: make-up kit
o Escape Artist: er, slippery oil? or something?
o Forgery: ah, I figured it out. Formal signet rings and stamps and wax and such.
o Gather Information: local fashionable clothing, perfume, towel!
o Handle Animal: whip, cookies
o Heal: healing kit
o Hide: camouflage clothing
o Intimidate: scary make-up
o Jump: go go gadget springs, pole
o Knowledge: books
o Listen: one of those cone thingies
o Move Silently: padded boots
o Open Lock: lockpicks
o Perform: instrument (or, soapbox, megaphone, note cards, etc)
o Profession
o Ride: saddle
o Search: magnifying glass, again
o Sense Motive: mood ring??
o Sleight Of Hand: a razor ring or sharpened coin
o Spellcraft: some magical gizmo?
o Spot: glasses because you're nearsighted???
o Survival: how-to guide, swiss army knife
o Swim: flotation device?
o Tumble: slippery oil again?
o Use Magic Device: big red button
o Use Rope: the rope, I suppose

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-16, 04:56 AM
The proper attire might be appropriate for Bluff and Diplomacy. Nobles are more likely to get along with people dressed appropraitely. There might be a mechanic for that already.

nobodylovesyou4
2007-10-16, 05:00 AM
Search would be masterwork magnifying glass

Armads
2007-10-16, 05:07 AM
Handle Animal would be a Whip and Cookies. Jump would be bouncy boots. Use Magic Device tools could be a big red button?

mostlyharmful
2007-10-16, 05:23 AM
Handle Animal would be a Whip and Cookies. Jump would be bouncy boots. Use Magic Device tools could be a big red button?

Push the button PUSH IT!!!:smallbiggrin:

Selv
2007-10-16, 08:34 AM
I don't think Speak Language should be on the list, since it doesn't have numerical checks.

Forgery might be a sample-book of different weights of paper. Maybe calipers? A straight-edge and pair of compasses?

A magnifying glass (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#magnifyingGlass) gves +2 to some (some) Appraise checks. Since the Thieves tools cost and weigh twice as much as a single-skill tool, I suppose there's no reason you couldn't create a "set of lenses" that cost 150 gp and weigh 3 lb for Search, Appraise and Decipher Script. Maybe they have to come with a velvet case to avoid scratching?

Knowledge's Masterwork Book could be a useful version of a miscellany (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schotts-Original-Miscellany-Ben-Schott/dp/0747563209), I suppose: lots of facts that are only useful if you have the framework already in place.

Depending on the setting, I supposethat local fashions might help with Gather Info? Maybe?

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-16, 08:41 AM
Bluff: "How To Speak Good" - By Thurg the Ogre. Masterwork book explaining how to bluff your way through any situation. The book name is there to keep normal people from buying it. :smallbiggrin:

Sense Motive: "How To Read The Underlying Currents of Conversation Through Applied Psychology And Theoretical Physics" - Masterwork Sense Motive Book. :smallbiggrin:

namo
2007-10-16, 08:47 AM
The cone isn't that helpful for Listen, since you don't want to be carrying one around permanently. I suggest crystal earrings ("they retransmit the sound perfectly, yessir !").

For social skills : perfume ! Pheronoms to influence the people...

Survival : How to live in the wilderness for Newbies.

Forgery : there is already a kit somewhere (CAdv perhaps ?) ; same for Ride IIRC - military saddles give you bonuses.

Rex Blunder
2007-10-16, 08:53 AM
Bluff: "How To Speak Good" - By Thurg the Ogre.

Oh, I thought that was an alignment language phrasebook.

cupkeyk
2007-10-16, 09:15 AM
forgery gets vellum, its a mostly clear paper you place over a document to copy it. +2

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-16, 09:30 AM
Sctually, Arms and Equipment Guide has a lot of those types of items. Listening cone was in their along with silent slippers and so others I don't remember. I must say I've always liked masterwork items and Dragonlance makes them much better (+10 bonus to a skill check!!!).

Xefas
2007-10-16, 09:35 AM
Survival clearly gets a bonus from "Masterwork Stubble".

...which, sort of makes me think of how hairy a female ranger would be. I mean, trekking through the wild unknown, you don't exactly have the chance to shave...anything.

Anyway, I don't think Craft and Profession should really be counted either, since they're too broad a subject. I mean, for profession you could have anything from Masterwork Spices to Masterwork Undies to Masterwork Shoe Polish. Craft...I think there's already a Masterwork Alchemist Lab, right?

Ralfarius
2007-10-16, 09:44 AM
Bluff: Masterwork aviators. The very dark, often reflective surface of the lenses hide your eyes, making it much more difficult to get a read on you. Why do you think poker players wear shades all the time?

Blanks
2007-10-16, 09:53 AM
A couple of suggestions, divided into 2 categories:)

o Jump: A pole for vaulting would probably be more than +2
o Knowledge: A complete library, noone said masterwork tools need to be portable.
o Sleight Of Hand: In 2E thiefs handbook you had razor rings - a ring with a concealed blade you could use for cutpursing :)

o Disable Device: A REALLY big hammer :D
o Speak Language: A babelfish ;)
o Spot: Rear view mirror against ambushes?
o Survival: Lunch box
o Use Magic Device: Universal remote :)

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-16, 09:57 AM
AnE Guide had the bladed rings for sleight of hand.

kamikasei
2007-10-16, 10:09 AM
A few of these are already specified (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolsAndSkillKits). It's interesting to note where they deviate from the 50gp standard.

Appraise: merchant's scale (limited to weighed items, though, and much cheaper because of this). Magnifying glass for the items you'd expect, priced at 100gp though it does have other uses.
Climb: climber's kit. 80gp rather than 50gp, for some reason.
Craft (alchemy): alchemist's lab (500gp!).
Disguise: disguise kit. Priced appropriately, but of limited uses.
Heal: healer's kit. Priced appropriately, but of limited uses.
Perform: instrument (100gp - why so pricey?).

alexi
2007-10-16, 10:09 AM
I used to play a mage in a campaign that had a 24 volume encyclopedia set that we used as a master work knowledge tool. It was kept in a chest that my ogre slave carried on his back.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-16, 10:19 AM
A few of these are already specified (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolsAndSkillKits). It's interesting to note where they deviate from the 50gp standard.

Appraise: merchant's scale (limited to weighed items, though, and much cheaper because of this). Magnifying glass for the items you'd expect, priced at 100gp though it does have other uses.
Climb: climber's kit. 80gp rather than 50gp, for some reason.
Craft (alchemy): alchemist's lab (500gp!).
Disguise: disguise kit. Priced appropriately, but of limited uses.
Heal: healer's kit. Priced appropriately, but of limited uses.

If I remember correctly it said that the price is 50gp for a masterwork tool unless specified otherwise.

Telonius
2007-10-16, 10:51 AM
Bluff: Masterwork sunglasses. (Poker players use this all the time).
Diplomacy: Princess Fringle's Guide to Etiquette.
Survival: MW Swiss Army Dagger.
Gather Information: Masterwork Towel. People will be much more willing to give you helpful advice if you have a towel.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-16, 11:12 AM
Uuh... You know, there's nothing that says every skill has appropriate tools. And it outright says not ever tool has an appropriate skill. (i.e. "...on the related check (if any).

forgery gets vellum, its a mostly clear paper you place over a document to copy it. +2
Doesn't help much when forging documents made with different, particularly opaque papers. Which, I assume would be the case with any official documents at risk for forgery.

Karsh
2007-10-16, 11:24 AM

I always thought the masterwork instruments made sense. A masterwork violin would be something like a Stradivarius.

kamikasei
2007-10-16, 11:29 AM
I always thought the masterwork instruments made sense. A masterwork violin would be something like a Stradivarius.

Yup, that makes sense, though it leaves the Perform (oratory) and Perform (song) types in the lurch somewhat. Still, I wonder why they're twice the recommended price? The other thing at that price is thieves' tools, which cover two skills at once.

F.L.
2007-10-16, 11:45 AM
Doesn't help much when forging documents made with different, particularly opaque papers. Which, I assume would be the case with any official documents at risk for forgery.

You copy a piece of paper onto the vellum. Then you stick the vellum over the right kind of paper, and flip it up, to compare your work on the opaque paper to a reference copy.

Though since forgery is opposed by forgery, and nobody takes forgery, the enterprising high level forger just needs some bar napkins and crayons to forge official documents that are believable.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-16, 11:45 AM
I think instruments are more expensive because they are used for the Bard abilities.

hewhosaysfish
2007-10-16, 11:50 AM
Yup, that makes sense, though it leaves the Perform (oratory) and Perform (song) types in the lurch somewhat.

Just get that listening cone thing and shout through it like a megaphone. Or for oratory, get a soapbox.

And in Eberron, try to convince the DM that the party's artificer can make you a microphone powered by lightning spells. Carrying the amp and speakers around could be tricky. I suggest you play a warforged bard and have the speakers built into your chest.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-16, 12:16 PM
Yup, that makes sense, though it leaves the Perform (oratory) and Perform (song) types in the lurch somewhat.
As I pointed out, not every skill necessarily has a special tool to provide a bonus.

You copy a piece of paper onto the vellum. Then you stick the vellum over the right kind of paper, and flip it up, to compare your work on the opaque paper to a reference copy.
Figured there was something I was missing. :smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2007-10-16, 12:16 PM
I used to play a mage in a campaign that had a 24 volume encyclopedia set that we used as a master work knowledge tool. It was kept in a chest that my ogre slave carried on his back.

:smallbiggrin:

I thought knowledge checks were a free action?

Uuh... You know, there's nothing that says every skill has appropriate tools. And it outright says not ever tool has an appropriate skill.
You might have noted from some of the tools I listed that my initial post wasn't fully serious.

I think instruments are more expensive because they are used for the Bard abilities.
Perhaps they're 50 gp for the regular instrument, and 50 gp for the masterworkness?

bugsysservant
2007-10-16, 12:41 PM
Yup, that makes sense, though it leaves the Perform (oratory) and Perform (song) types in the lurch somewhat. Still, I wonder why they're twice the recommended price? The other thing at that price is thieves' tools, which cover two skills at once.

Well, for perform(song), how about a masterwork song (in sheet music)? How else does a bard inspire his allies to greater physical heights without sheet music for Eye of the Tiger? :smallbiggrin:

Perform(oratory) is a bit tricky. Hmm, maybe a masterwork podium, or something? Or maybe masterwoork debater's clothes? I know that some of the greatest orators ever wouldn't have been nearly as persuasive dressed in rags.

Telonius
2007-10-16, 12:51 PM
Masterwork PowerPoint presentation, maybe? :smallbiggrin:

Machete
2007-10-16, 02:28 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has a lot of this kind of flavored stuff but I'd appreciate if wizards just put all of teh MW Tools or even nonMW tools for skills in one place.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-16, 02:33 PM
Masterwork PowerPoint presentation, maybe? :smallbiggrin:

No, a masterwork box of soap? :smallwink:

Raven T.
2007-10-16, 02:44 PM
It's clearly a Masterwork Speech. It costs 100gp because it requires that much in proofreading fees to make it really good.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-16, 05:48 PM
Perform Song: Pitch Pipe

Perform Oratory: Note Cards or Podium

Perform Comedy: Rubber Chicken, Clown Nose, etc.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-16, 06:51 PM
It's clearly a Masterwork Speech. It costs 100gp because it requires that much in proofreading fees to make it really good.
Actually, Dragon had an article on Masterwork Performances for music. So, yeah, makes sense with that context.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-17, 06:40 AM
I've updated the first post with everybody's comments.