PDA

View Full Version : How op is the wild fire druid?

Throne12
2019-10-03, 05:27 PM
They put out a new UA twilight cleric, wild fire druid, and Onomancy aka ture namer wizard.

The cleric I dont care about. But the wild fire druid looks so cool and a bit op. So what do yall think?

Oh and wizard look cool and alright.

RedMage125
2019-10-03, 05:30 PM
They put out a new UA twilight cleric, wild fire druid, and Onomancy aka ture namer wizard.

The cleric I dont care about. But the wild fire druid looks so cool and a bit op. So what do yall think?

Little early to tell, isn't it? I mean, we can call out any smoking guns of over-powered-ness, but literally no one's had a chance to see them in play yet, so...

Fable Wright
2019-10-03, 05:48 PM
It's OK?

Bonus action damage is decent, not great. Access to Fireball and a small damage boost is nice, not game breaking. Flames of life is oddly restrictive, and Druids never really needed the healing boost.

Blazing Endurance really doesn't come up much, though it's admittedly solid when it does.

Mitsu
2019-10-03, 08:01 PM
I think it's ok, though it's just blatant Light Cleric rip-off.

Btw. they should finally give Light Cleric Fire Bolt cantrip.. it's a domain around fire!!

On the other hand I really really like Arcane Tradition! It's so climatic to learn True Names and use them again enemies. And Resonants are great ideas to represent how powerful True Names are.

I hope it will pass play tests. It sound great to roleplay.

Kane0
2019-10-03, 08:05 PM
It looks decent on first glance, worth playtesting. Don't really like the healing though, we have a healing Druid already.

Also, why doesn't the fire spirit explode when killed? That's a feature waiting to be written

Throne12
2019-10-03, 08:29 PM

Btw. they should finally give Light Cleric Fire Bolt cantrip.. it's a domain around fire!!

On the other hand I really really like Arcane Tradition! It's so climatic to learn True Names and use them again enemies. And Resonants are great ideas to represent how powerful True Names are.

How is it a light cleric RIP off. A light cleric is about I dont know maybe LIGHT. Where wildfire druid is about fire.

4d6
2019-10-03, 08:44 PM
Ci-a-bola, Ci-a-bola, bump-ty, bump-ty, bump! Ci-a-bola, Ci-a-bola, bump-ty, bump-ty, bump!

--Me, playing a wildfire druid

Mikaleus
2019-10-03, 10:53 PM
I wouldn’t call it OP, but definitely gives druids a nice alternative to wild shape - like the spores Druid. I also like the fire spirit gains bonuses as you gain proficiency.
I will be playing one next session - my DM knows how badly I’ve been wanting an elemental themed Druid.

I think the Onomancy Wizard is a strong subclass.
Again not OP, but strong.

ezekielraiden
2019-10-04, 02:51 AM
All three look like a pretty clear step up in power from PHB alternatives. Like, I look at these and begin to think, "Well, 5e kept the power creep out for a few years at least." It's not an enormous, unequivocal step up. But I really don't see how (for example) a Storm Cleric really measures up to a Twilight Cleric.

Throne12
2019-10-04, 03:21 AM
All three look like a pretty clear step up in power from PHB alternatives. Like, I look at these and begin to think, "Well, 5e kept the power creep out for a few years at least." It's not an enormous, unequivocal step up. But I really don't see how (for example) a Storm Cleric really measures up to a Twilight Cleric.

How is a twilight more powerful then a storm cleric?

Fnissalot
2019-10-04, 03:29 AM
Is this not pretty much becoming the same thread as this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?599703-Cleric-Druid-Wizard-UA-Released

Foff
2019-10-05, 02:32 AM
twilight cleric is a really powerful buffer, probably the strongest party buffer in the game as written, except for a lore bard perhaps.
Eyes of Twilight and Vigilant Blessing are really powerful utility tools and great QoL improvements for any adventuring party.
Twilight Sanctuary is a VERY powerful non concentration party wide buff, keep up your melee characters HP through constant reshielding and end encounter ending debuffs while still being able to maintain concentration on stuff like bless, bane, spirit guardians.
Having access of aura of life and aura of vitality as domain spells is certainly powerful and so is being able to cast Circle of Power at later levels.
Steps of the Brave is just a great tool that any buffer character would want, free mobility while using your channel divinity and resistance to one of the strongest disables against PCs, keep up with your allies, keep them in your powerful auras and keep them alive while being harder to bring down yourself.

This domain has many "I WIN" buttons to press, they just are subtle enough to be buttons that allow your party to work at their best, and to me that's a really rewarding character concept, certainly more fun than ending an encounter with a destructive wave

sambojin
2019-10-05, 08:38 PM
Wildfire Druid looks pretty powerful.

Level 2, 1hr long, 30' speed flying for using both wildshape charges (turn into a badger/ cat/ scorpion/ spider/ weasel/ velociraptor and ride your summon. Plenty of vision types or advantage to perception or movement types available. You might need telepathy to command it properly though. Mount may or may-not move after your turn, it's really hard to tell. Its "turn" is after yours, but it should follow "Mounted Combat" rules. You also get "free bonus action dash while mounted" from this, but you've only got one bonus action to use on anything else but Dodge, so take your pick. It can literally be summoned to be/look-like a small flying saddle, possibly with hands. Are you riding a small invisible flying super-speed attack-pony? Possibly...). Can it be ridden? It's fairly smart and wise, I'm sure it would only take a moment to teach it basic "being ridden" skills. Lasts an hour.
(yep. Lvl2 flying velociraptor cavalry again. 3 attacks (2 w/advantage from you, one bonus action ranged one from your mount). Oh, and a tiny quarterstaff with Shillelagh cast on it if you need magic attacks. Or any of your ranged weapon proficiencies for 1+1 ranged attack kiting. For the lols. At lvl2. Sling build?)

Summon can have hands, lasts an hour, and will probably be the second smartest character in the party (behind the wizard or EK). Thankfully, it can't talk. But it understands all the languages you speak, everyone usually understands common, so it understands *all the useful, horribly succinct information your party utters* in common. Plus any other languages you and other party members may have in common, while your enemies don't. It's immune to every condition that can stop it flying other than paralysis, and can't be charmed. Or fireballed.
It's non-concentration, so works great with Conjure Animals.
Note: it can look like how you want it to. Flames are, by RAW, totally optional. It can just look like a halfling or gnome or goblin or kobold or small dog or octopus or something if you want. A flying one.

Free 30' bonus action teleport 1/sr, if the summon just rides on your shoulder. Or it can move slow summons along with it (giant octopus/wildfire turret fields, ahoy!). Also essentially works like extra attack for you if you want (it's a poor attack, with a bonus action, but it's there). Just remember that it goes after you, so any help actions are for other people. Kind of. There's a bit of turn-order dissonance on when things happen. When do you teleport? Your turn when using your bonus action, or its (after your turn)? Maybe you can talk to your DM about that...

You can summon your wildfire (ie: chuck a small damage spell essentially) beside a squishy when they're in danger, bonus action teleport them out of danger, and cause a bit more damage against the enemy for doing so, all in one turn. That's a pretty awesome trick 2/sr (your WS charges, not the summon's tele charges), even where the squishy takes 2d10 fire damage on a failed save. Malignant Teleport? You also keep the summon for up to an hour afterwards. And can probably even argue that the squishy could have advantage on the Dex save if you had a prearranged signal for it, like "Going out hot!" yelled just before you do it. I like stupid-druid-tricks.

Spells being able to originate from your *flying, intelligent* summon at lvl6 makes your control aspects all the better. Spike Growth just got more fun. With caltrops and ball bearings and alchemist's fire from above, of course. Assuming that's within the realm of "obeys your commands", and is not stunted by its action list. Good for Mold Earth or Thorn Whip anyway (it doesn't say lvl1+ spells, so you can cantrip through your wildfire. Just remember that it can only move *after* you, but that it still has an action available on its turn, and a reaction available when that's appropriate).

Nice list of single/multi target damage spells that cause instant damage (something druids don't normally do). Add in a GGtR background and you've got a very big spell list indeed.

A bit of extra fire damage or healing, and a bit more unkillability at lvl10.

All in all, it's good. I'm not sure how OP it actually is, but a one hour long, non-concentration, intelligent, small flying summon that can look like however you want (ie: it always has hands) with a "can-bring-people-along-with-it" teleport is certainly versatile. Great use of one of your wild shape charges. Worth at least a level 2-3 spell slot (which is about what wild shape is situationally worth most times anyway). Strong? Maybe. Too strong? Maybe.

Certainly defecates all over the Beastmaster Ranger, from above. But what doesn't?

Misterwhisper
2019-10-05, 09:04 PM

Actually it is a celestial warlock ripoff.

sambojin
2019-10-05, 09:25 PM
Honestly, if all the subclass was, was just a potential bonus action 1/sr mini-damage teleport for only you, and a bonus action 30' +4/d6+2 fire attack, or you can give someone advantage with a bonus action, with a "hits on wildfire HP buffer can shut down the class ability" rider on it, and it uses one wildshape charge to have this ability for one hour, it would look pretty good.

So, if the summon just rides on your shoulders and does nothing else but attack/dodge/help or teleport you out of danger, it's OK'ish. Basically you have a re-summonable druidy magical fire amulet that does stuff. Lots of useful stuff. You can also cast Scorching Ray and Fireball if you want.

Think of this as the Champion Fighter way of playing a druid. My first spellcaster edition. You got skillz bro!
It's probably better than a Spore Druid, just with the help actions and teleport alongside the potential fire attacks.

But it's actually a slightly scaling, flying, proper summon, with hands, that can look how you want it to, that's intelligent, and is non-concentration. Plus some other stuff. It's really good. OP? Not really. But it is really good.

strangebloke
2019-10-05, 10:53 PM
It's totally overpowered. A wildfire druid will easily be a powerhouse at nearly every level. Just getting fireball alleviates a ton of the druid's worst concerns.

So, yeah, totally overpowered means its probably like the third best druid subclass right now.

sambojin
2019-10-06, 01:11 AM
That's why I just said good, not OP. Compared to a Moon Druid or a Shepherd, they're not that great. Probably at about the same level, maybe a smidgen above, Land druids.

It's just a very good class in general, so this subclass isn't really OP.

Kane0
2019-10-06, 02:32 AM
Actually it is a celestial warlock ripoff.
And also a Phoenix sorc ripoff?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-06, 02:35 AM
And also a Phoenix sorc ripoff?

Also a life cleric rip-off?

sambojin
2019-10-06, 07:56 PM
It's also a pretty good 2lvl dip for a lot of classes. Don't have a teleport? Have a teleport! Don't have bonus action attacks? By all means, have them! Want to be able to give something within 5-30' advantage on their first attack, for the use of your bonus/+maybe action, twice per short rest, with amazing bonuses afterwards? No wuckens, and you might be able to keep doing it for an hour. Want flying? Sure, have an hour of flying once per short rest if you blow both your WS charges. Don't have a non-concentration configurable intelligent flying summon? Now you do! Oh, and you get normal wildshape and some druid spells too.
Sounds reasonable.....

It's a pretty good list of thingies for a 2lvl dip to up the versatility of pretty much any class. And pretty much everyone can have 13+ Wis, just due to perception rolls being a thing.

Lvl45DM!
2019-10-06, 08:00 PM

A 2nd level teleport for ANYONE standing next to it ruins alot of low-level gameplay, ill say that.

sambojin
2019-10-06, 08:23 PM
I'd actually love it if somewhere in the lvl6 or lvl10 abilities, there was a "You can change the damage type of your wildfire or of one of your lvl1+ spells from fire/ lightning/ thunder/ poison/ bludgeoning/ piercing to another one of these types, up to Wis-mod times per long rest."

It would make it *the* elemental druid class we all want. Start off burny/regrowth style, then start to learn the cycles of all the terrains and of weather conditions that create them, and also be able to use that knowledge against EVIL! But maybe that's for another subclass in time....
(ie: it'll probably be the extra wildshape use for an elementalist, instead of wis-mod per day stuff. Which means lvl2, yay)

For now, fire burny teleporty summoner bro looks OK.