PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of psionic vs. non-psionic thri-kreen, and normal vs lesser planetouched

Katie Boundary
2019-10-03, 06:53 PM
As I was skimming through my 100% legally purchased PDF files for information on thri-kreen, I came across the revelation that certain tings were never quite correctly explained to me, possibly because a large number of other players are also still confused about them. For convenience, I've decided to write my findings down.

Let's pretend that you and your friends have decided that humans are overpowered and need to be beated with the Nerf bat. Your dungeon master, Bob, decides that an appropriate way to nerf them is to take away their bonus feat and give them +2 charisma instead. This house rule becomes known as Bob's Nerfed Human Rule. There are several several important things that you all understand about Bob's Nerfed Human Rule, even though they're not explained to you:

- You have not created a new sub-race of human. You have merely changed the abilities that normal humans get. You cannot mix both "original humans" and "Bob's Nerfed Humans" in a single campaign.
- When this rule is in effect, humans are still just called humans. They are not called Bob's Nerfed Humans. No NPC will ever tell you that there's a village of Bob's Nerfed Humans who need your help.
- You cannot say, during character creation, that you're going to play as a "Bob's Nerfed Human" instead of a "normal human" because you're a sorcerer and you think that the +2 charisma is more useful to you than a bonus feat. Bob decides whether humans have a bonus feat or +2 charisma, and then you decide whether you want to play as a human or not.

When I say it like that, it seems pretty obvious, right? Well, the same is true of psionic and non-psionic thri-kreen.

- You cannot mix psionic and non-psionic thri-kreen in a single campaign.
- You cannot say, during character creation, that you want to play as a non-psionic thri-kreen. Bob decides whether his campaign includes psionics or not. If he decides that it does, then all thri-kreen are psionic and you can either eat the +2 level adjustment or play something else (note: this is why the Expanded Psionics Handbook includes Thri-kreen without mentioning what their stats would be in a campaign without psionics).
- Thri-kreen are still just called thri-kreen. They are not called Psionic or Non-Psionic Thri-kreen. No NPC will ever tell you that there's a village of Psionic Thri-kreen who need your help.

And yes, the same is true of the Lesser Planetouched rule:

- You cannot mix both "normal Tieflings" and "lesser Tieflings" in a single campaign.
- When the Lesser Planetouched rule is in effect, Tieflings are still just called Tieflings. They are not called Lesser Tieflings. No NPC will ever tell you that there's a village of Lesser Tieflings who need your help.
- You cannot say, during character creation, that you're going to play as a Lesser Tiefling. Bob decides whether or not the lesser Planetouched rule is in effect. If he doesn't, then you can eat the +1 level adjustment or pick a different race.

So, I hope this info proves useful to someone, somewhere.

As usual, these points are more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules, and the GM can homebrew or houserule whatever he or she wants.

Calthropstu
2019-10-03, 07:26 PM
Sure you can have psionic and non-psionic thri-kreen. One area of the continent named Jungdubar has some sort of substance that heightens psychic ability. As such, that area's thri-kreen have the stats of psionic thri-kreen. They are both called thri-kreen, one is just psionic.
They don't say "Hi, I'm Joe, a psionic thri-kreen."
It's more like "Hi, I'm Joe, a Thri-kreen from Jungdubar." Then a knowledge local tells you that thri-kreen from that area more often than not have psionic powers and a knowledge psionics will tell you what those powers do.

Afghanistan
2019-10-03, 07:36 PM
It's a race, and you're the DM. It doesn't actually matter how the race got to your world. Most players do not even think about how any particular race in their setting of choice got to their world, all that matters is that the race is playable.

So yeah, you can have Psionic and Non-Psionic Thri-Keen and Normal and Lesser Planetouched. You can just fluff their existence into the setting however you want because you're the DM :smallsigh:

Falontani
2019-10-03, 09:31 PM
The notes on lesser planetouched, psionic gith, and the like do not specify that the other variations can not, nor should not be played with the base versions. It is not the dm nor setting saying as much. So they are variations of the standard.

Katie Boundary
2019-10-03, 09:41 PM
The notes on lesser planetouched, psionic gith, and the like do not specify that the other variations can not, nor should not be played with the base versions.

The Player's guide to faerun, page 190, states:

https://i.imgur.com/pWmy5jh.png