PDA

View Full Version : Is 1181 the end of the book?

Malfarian
2019-10-04, 09:53 AM
Seems like a good ending, the increased frequency of strips slowed down, perhaps while Rich (our patron saint) is getting the book layout ready.

Thoughts?

Peelee
2019-10-04, 09:55 AM
No. Books (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) end with (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html) black bits. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html)

The Pilgrim
2019-10-04, 10:00 AM
Looks like we will be getting an "is this the end of the book" thread on every other strip until the ending is actually announced.

Quebbster
2019-10-04, 10:01 AM
We're probably Close to the end of the book, but we haven't seen what Haley and Elan are up to at the temple, and we will probably get some sort of dramatic reveal for the very last strip of the book. My Money is on Team Evil finding the Gate, but I have been surprised in the past.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-10-04, 10:04 AM
We have like five pages left, one of which will mostly be a splash page. From the pre-order info, I expect Rich will get us there by the end of this month.

facw
2019-10-04, 02:44 PM
We have like five pages left, one of which will mostly be a splash page. From the pre-order info, I expect Rich will get us there by the end of this month.

Put me down for two comics totaling 3-4 pages at this point. I think we are very near the end. If nothing else, printing is a bit of a long process, so things will need to be done quite soon if Ookkoodook is going to have them December 2nd. Of course Rich could finish and delay posting, but I think it's more likely things get posted as they are done.

In any event, I'm sure we'll get something more than 1181 to end this book (the last panel is nice and all, but if this were an ending page, that panel would be at least a half page).

Charybdis136
2019-10-04, 03:25 PM
I feel like it will be obvious when we hit the end of this book. It's possible the last page is without a cliffhanger or foreboding thought, but I doubt that.

JT
2019-10-04, 03:36 PM
Looks like we will be getting an "is this the end of the book" thread on every other strip until the ending is actually announced.

Is this thread the end of the “is this the end of the book” threads, though?

Schroeswald
2019-10-04, 03:48 PM

It is the second one we’ve had recently (the first being four strips ago).

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-04, 03:54 PM
We're probably Close to the end of the book, but we haven't seen what Haley and Elan are up to at the temple, and we will probably get some sort of dramatic reveal for the very last strip of the book. My Money is on Team Evil finding the Gate, but I have been surprised in the past.
For some reason, I think there will be a look through another gate/in-the-gate-world reference

Elenna
2019-10-10, 08:46 AM

Spoiler: No.

D.One
2019-10-10, 09:25 AM

Spoiler: No.

Never. Until the very end. Even after.

No. Books (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) end with (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html) black bits. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html)

This.

I do believe, however, that we may shift for other location and that 1181 may be the last scene of the Order characters on this book, given the fading on Durkon's scene.

Quebbster
2019-10-10, 10:02 AM
Never. Until the very end. Even after.

This.

I do believe, however, that we may shift for other location and that 1181 may be the last scene of the Order characters on this book, given the fading on Durkon's scene.
Quite possible. On the other hand, we haven't seen what Haley and Elan have been doing during the denouement, so we might get a Quick check-in with them. Don't quite know what it would be, but on the other hand it would have been easy showing them drinking with Roy and Belkar so maybe they have their own thing coming up. We will see I guess.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-10-10, 12:47 PM
Last panel might give you a hint. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0764.html)

Peelee
2019-10-10, 01:07 PM
Scrubbing the monkey?

jwhouk
2019-10-10, 01:23 PM
The longer it takes for Rich to release strip 1182, the more I'm thinking that 1182 is going to be the last strip of the book...

...an' itta gonna be a doozy.

Malfarian
2019-10-11, 05:00 PM
The longer it takes for Rich to release strip 1182, the more I'm thinking that 1182 is going to be the last strip of the book...

...an' itta gonna be a doozy.

Yeah that makes sense, one more BOOM strip then a break.

grandpheonix
2019-10-14, 08:33 AM
My feels are for a splash page with lien and ochul dead with Xykon talking about terminating the roaches or something.

Dion
2019-10-14, 10:52 AM
My feels are for a splash page with lien and ochul dead with Xykon talking about terminating the roaches or something.

O’Chul dies suddenly and without purpose only if George RR Martin is a very special guest writer.

I agree that this strip would make a great end to the book. I also agree that a dramatic cliffhanger would make a good end to the book.

Schroeswald
2019-10-14, 11:04 AM

First off, why would Lien and O-Chul be killed off? What would that do whatsoever and how could it not feel like a meaningless death.

Second off, why would he the roaches? They only do minor structural damage to the fourth wall, he’s tolerated them hanging around
for the past 30 years
I doubt he’d kill them now, if you’re using some metaphorical language make sure it’s not easily applicable to them doing something else.

grandpheonix
2019-10-14, 02:30 PM
Sorry was waking up. Nah, Xykon called Ochul and Lien roaches. I hope it's not that, but I think that's the only kind of splash page that could make my jaw drop.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-10-14, 02:35 PM
*Giant* Challenge Accepted */Giant*

Schroeswald
2019-10-14, 03:12 PM
Sorry was waking up. Nah, Xykon called Ochul and Lien roaches. I hope it's not that, but I think that's the only kind of splash page that could make my jaw drop.
If you think of it as a possibility it won’t make your jaw drop, I think that there seems to be a 0% of it being true (much like Minrah dying), so it would make my jaw drop, but it won’t happen so it doesn’t matter

In a mostly off topic tangent: My only jaw drops have been Roy’s death and the reveal of the more than two worlds (Durkon and Nale’s deaths in BRiTF would have been but they were spoiled) all the other surprises were just surprises, because I didn’t have the time to think of any possibilities that could happen, while those were so out of left field that I couldn’t have thought of it if I tried.

Aidan
2019-10-14, 04:04 PM
My guess is that this book ends with a splash panel showing Xykon and the rest of the baddies looking at the final gate in all its glory, figure it'll be a good way to convey just how dire the situation in book 7 will be.

Finagle
2019-10-15, 12:16 PM
The end of the book will be blatantly obvious. I bet it will also coincide with a long Christmas vacation for the author. One gets the impression that the comic is a chore to him these days. :smallfrown:

Rogar Demonblud
2019-10-15, 02:13 PM
It'll be done before then, given the dates listed with the pre-order. I do agree that he deserves a vacation, however much we're jonesing for our next comic fix.

denthor
2019-10-15, 02:26 PM
We will know December 2nd.

Schroeswald
2019-10-15, 02:42 PM
My guess is that this book ends with a splash panel showing Xykon and the rest of the baddies looking at the final gate in all its glory, figure it'll be a good way to convey just how dire the situation in book 7 will be.
And I will continue to argue against this, mainly because if Kraagor’s Gate’s defenses simply stall them for a week it will feel incredibly ineffectual, especially since the first two took months and the defeat of an epic caster, the third took an entire army and defeat of an epic paladin, the fourth was defeated by the most powerful spell we’ve seen and for the OOTS to get to it they had to fight off a team of near-epic enemies.

The end of the book will be blatantly obvious. I bet it will also coincide with a long Christmas vacation for the author. One gets the impression that the comic is a chore to him these days. :smallfrown:
If it will be blatantly obvious, what will it be? I had a lot of options written in 1180’s thread but all they were was a bunch of random people and places who could be involved.

The MunchKING
2019-10-15, 03:15 PM
If it will be blatantly obvious, what will it be? I had a lot of options written in 1180’s thread but all they were was a bunch of random people and places who could be involved.

He didn't say it was obvious what it would be, but that when you see it you will know it's the end.

Schroeswald
2019-10-15, 03:26 PM
He didn't say it was obvious what it would be, but that when you see it you will know it's the end.
Duh-durr, sometimes I need to use myself a brain, in which case I agree with the first part of his post about the ending (it will not only be blatantly clear but will say: The Order of the Stick Will Return on December eleventyteenth).

Ghosty
2019-10-15, 07:30 PM

Quoting you mainly to thank you for the signatures turned off tip, but also to ask everyone: do we know that all of the Gates are on the Prime? We know they aren't on any of the Outer Planes, or the Astral, but could Serini's be somewhere on one of the Elemental Planes, Demi-Plane of Shadow, something like that? With the giant dungeon maze serving as misdirection, or maybe there's a planar portal behind one of the doors that leads to the Gate?

Alternately, and it's been said here already, though I don't remember by whom, a neat splash ending would have Team Evil looking either horrified or impressed, with the MITD exclaiming, "Hi, Dad!"

Dion
2019-10-15, 08:24 PM
with the MITD exclaiming, "Hi, Dad!"

I don’t get it. Why would RedCloak’s niece be at the North Pole?

Aidan
2019-10-15, 08:26 PM
And I will continue to argue against this, mainly because if Kraagor’s Gate’s defenses simply stall them for a week it will feel incredibly ineffectual, especially since the first two took months and the defeat of an epic caster, the third took an entire army and defeat of an epic paladin, the fourth was defeated by the most powerful spell we’ve seen and for the OOTS to get to it they had to fight off a team of near-epic enemies.

I think it's been a bit longer than a week, I'll admit there may be some line in some comic that directly references how long it's been, but at Kraggors Tomb, I counted at least 16 doors x'd out (prior to the MITD crossing out a few that we see) . Before including the possibility of the MITD crossing out extra doors, and considering what Redcloak said about being unable to go in twice a day, we would conclude that they have been there for at 16 days. However when we consider that the MITD would only be able to cross out extra doors if the rest of Team Evil wouldn't notice, so I consider it likely that of the doors that are there (of which there are likely many more) the majority of of one's with X's are probably accurate (they would notice if, let's say there are 40 X's when they only did 20, but they probably wouldn't notice only 5 extra X's when there are 20 doors they have actually done).

Plus, if they find it, they still need time to perform the ritual itself, which would give the Order time to get there at the climax of the story.

-Aidan Fedele

Schroeswald
2019-10-15, 08:39 PM
I don’t get it. Why would RedCloak’s niece be at the North Pole?
You just don’t get it, it’s because Redcloak’s niece is also Therkla, I don’t understand why this is so hard.

I think it's been a bit longer than a week, I'll admit there may be some line in some comic that directly references how long it's been, but at Kraggors Tomb, I counted at least 16 doors x'd out (prior to the MITD crossing out a few that we see) . Before including the possibility of the MITD crossing out extra doors, and considering what Redcloak said about being unable to go in twice a day, we would conclude that they have been there for at 16 days. However when we consider that the MITD would only be able to cross out extra doors if the rest of Team Evil wouldn't notice, so I consider it likely that of the doors that are there (of which there are likely many more) the majority of of one's with X's are probably accurate (they would notice if, let's say there are 40 X's when they only did 20, but they probably wouldn't notice only 5 extra X's when there are 20 doors they have actually done).

Plus, if they find it, they still need time to perform the ritual itself, which would give the Order time to get there at the climax of the story.

-Aidan Fedele
The reason I said a week is that Durkon said he was a vampire for about a week to Thor, it’s been an extra day but about a week still applies.

As for the time, I understand that, and I’m sure it won’t be too long but I do think that we’ll see how they do it because I think that Serini has a trick up her sleeve and a bunch of small dungeon crawls just doesn’t feel special enough, they took entire armies to the first three of the gates, and the gates have been defended by three epic adventurers and epic and near epic spells as well as armies, it feels weird for us to just not see any of it.

Aidan
2019-10-16, 01:07 AM
You just don’t get it, it’s because Redcloak’s niece is also Therkla, I don’t understand why this is so hard.

The reason I said a week is that Durkon said he was a vampire for about a week to Thor, it’s been an extra day but about a week still applies.

As for the time, I understand that, and I’m sure it won’t be too long but I do think that we’ll see how they do it because I think that Serini has a trick up her sleeve and a bunch of small dungeon crawls just doesn’t feel special enough, they took entire armies to the first three of the gates, and the gates have been defended by three epic adventurers and epic and near epic spells as well as armies, it feels weird for us to just not see any of it.

Completely forgot about the bit with Thor.

I suppose that the bit about Serini makes sense, with her being a rogue, us not knowing her current condition does lend itself to her tricking Team Evil somehow. Regardless I feel that somehow, this book is going to end with some cliffhanger that leads to the Order being more pressed for time throughout the final book.

factotum
2019-10-16, 01:15 AM
Quoting you mainly to thank you for the signatures turned off tip, but also to ask everyone: do we know that all of the Gates are on the Prime? We know they aren't on any of the Outer Planes, or the Astral, but could Serini's be somewhere on one of the Elemental Planes, Demi-Plane of Shadow, something like that?

No, they can't, because the Gates are there to shore up holes in the Snarl's prison, and the Snarl's prison is explicitly the world, not any of the other planes.

Schroeswald
2019-10-16, 05:42 AM
Completely forgot about the bit with Thor.

I suppose that the bit about Serini makes sense, with her being a rogue, us not knowing her current condition does lend itself to her tricking Team Evil somehow. Regardless I feel that somehow, this book is going to end with some cliffhanger that leads to the Order being more pressed for time throughout the final book.
It’s not really her rogueness, Lirian, Dorukan and Soon all had powerful (near epic or true epic) tricks up their sleeve, and thus far they’ve only managed to get past Lirian’s most powerful defenses before the Gate is destroyed, and I’d bet that Girard’s defenses were pretty powerful pre-Familicide.

Oh and you probably shouldn’t trust me on any of this, though I did predict 1180 (and not a single other thing whatsoever).

Ghosty
2019-10-16, 05:57 AM
No, they can't, because the Gates are there to shore up holes in the Snarl's prison, and the Snarl's prison is explicitly the world, not any of the other planes.

Thanks. Didn't know if or where that was explicitly stated.

So then, the Snarl is not only confined to the Prime, but explicitly to only Stickworld spinning around in the Prime? Or, since the gods only seem to care about building this world over and over, the only thing in the Prime, as far as OOTS is concerned, is the Stickworld planet?

Peelee
2019-10-16, 06:23 AM

So then, the Snarl is not only confined to the Prime, but explicitly to only Stickworld spinning around in the Prime? Or, since the gods only seem to care about building this world over and over, the only thing in the Prime, as far as OOTS is concerned, is the Stickworld planet?

O-Chul's story ends with a shot of at least one other small-c-celestial body.

The MunchKING
2019-10-16, 06:26 AM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html

They built the world in the same chunk of Space-time as the snarl to trap it in a demiplane.

factotum
2019-10-16, 06:28 AM
It's a bit unclear, TBH. Ganonron was introduced as "Terror of a Thousand Planes" and it was said he'd conquered world after world, which certainly implies that worlds other than the main Stickworld exist, but it also implies they're on other planes of existence.

Peelee
2019-10-16, 06:42 AM
It's a bit unclear, TBH. Ganonron was introduced as "Terror of a Thousand Planes" and it was said he'd conquered world after world, which certainly implies that worlds other than the main Stickworld exist, but it also implies they're on other planes of existence.

When Alexander Ganonron saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

D.One
2019-10-16, 02:25 PM
When Alexander Ganonron saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

He was only defeated when his adversaries found the missing Link in their plan...

Aidan
2019-10-16, 03:53 PM
It’s not really her rogueness, Lirian, Dorukan and Soon all had powerful (near epic or true epic) tricks up their sleeve, and thus far they’ve only managed to get past Lirian’s most powerful defenses before the Gate is destroyed, and I’d bet that Girard’s defenses were pretty powerful pre-Familicide.

Oh and you probably shouldn’t trust me on any of this, though I did predict 1180 (and not a single other thing whatsoever).

Still each of the Gates defenses have been related to the corresponding member of the Order of the Scribble, and as Kraggor's Tomb is presumably in honor of Kraggor's strength as a barbarian as well as Serini's skills as a Rogue, so my guess is that some grand deception is likely in play. As for what the deception is, she doesn't have access to the sort of magic that some members of her team did, so my guess is that her deception is not something that you will need brute force or magic to overcome, rather the path to the gate will be hidden in a way that requires a rogue to identity the very existence of the deception.

In fact what if the Gate is a shell game on a grand scale, it doesn't exist at the end of one of the paths, but is in Serini's metaphorical hand the whole time?

Sorry if I rambled in circles for a little bit up there:smallbiggrin:

-Aidan Fedele

Schroeswald
2019-10-16, 04:05 PM
I’m not really sure we can trust her rogueyness, it took a rogue to see through the double bluff and her main character trait has been wanting unity so I imagine it will bring together the entire Scribbles abilities.

And and the answer to the original question is no, no it isn’t.

Peelee
2019-10-16, 04:46 PM
Still each of the Gates defenses have been related to the corresponding member of the Order of the Scribble, and as Kraggor's Tomb is presumably in honor of Kraggor's strength as a barbarian as well as Serini's skills as a Rogue, so my guess is that some grand deception is likely in play.

But the last gate was a grand deception.

Aidan
2019-10-16, 05:22 PM
I’m not really sure we can trust her rogueyness, it took a rogue to see through the double bluff and her main character trait has been wanting unity so I imagine it will bring together the entire Scribbles abilities.

And and the answer to the original question is no, no it isn’t.

I suppose we'll know what trick she has up her sleeve when we come to it, but I think we both agree that she does have some trick left, and, as Peelee pointed out, a grand deception was the point of the last gate so I suppose that a deception would be unlikely.

Out of curiosity do you have any idea what sort of trick she may have regarding team unity? Because none of the ideas that I'm kicking around in my head seem to be working for me.

Riftwolf
2019-10-16, 06:07 PM
It's possible Kraagors gate requires all of Monster hollow to be cleared out within a certain time period to unlock the final boss room. (I'm trying to remember which computer game had a similar premise, I'm sure there was one)

TheNecrocomicon
2019-10-16, 10:42 PM
Well, here's our answer to the original question. No, #1181 is not the end of the book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1182.html).

In fact what if the Gate is a shell game on a grand scale, it doesn't exist at the end of one of the paths, but is in Serini's metaphorical hand the whole time?

That's why I personally think that the Gate is not at the end of any of the monster dungeons where it could be randomly found within a few tries, nor is it somehow in the otherwise vulnerable statue of Kraagor. I personally think that, since the area was "built up" out of multidimensional stone, and the Rift was formerly shown basically at ground level, that it is sealed away under several stories (at least) of said solid magical stone, which above a certain thickness will block divinations entirely.

That would fulfill the "physical might" side with respect to tunnelling, while being a rogue-worthy deception. Of course, then the proverbial Achilles' Heel of the whole plan might be somebody who has enough power or magical might to break their way though in a single blow.

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-17, 12:56 PM
But the last gate was a grand deception. And not just how it was hidden, but the very nature of the gates themselves.
:belkar: Maybe someone's been yanking everyone's change (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0900.html).

Rich has used Belkar as a the tactless "truthteller" throughout the strip from way back, as I mentioned in a recent post.

I have a feeling that strip 0900 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0900.html) was Rich waving a big red flag about the gates and such having in them a great deal of misdirection in the meta sense.

Granted, Thor's confirmation of Snarl as a seriously deadly thing during the Durkon / Thor segment seems to confirm "world eating abomination" angle. But there's a lot that still remains hidden.

That would fulfill the "physical might" side with respect to tunnelling, while being a rogue-worthy deception. Of course, then the proverbial Achilles' Heel of the whole plan might be somebody who has enough power or magical might to break their way though in a single blow.
:mitd: Perhaps a being that can cause an earthquake (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html)? (Ref to War and XP's).

And guess who is up there near Kraagor's gate! :smalleek:

Ruck
2019-10-19, 10:58 PM
After thinking about it, I've come to a conclusion that may be controversial: Yes, 1181 was the end of the book.

Aidan
2019-10-19, 11:11 PM
After thinking about it, I've come to a conclusion that may be controversial: Yes, 1181 was the end of the book.

Y'know, I'm still debating in my head, but you certainly make a compelling case with regards to this theory.

RatElemental
2019-10-20, 12:35 PM

There are five lights.

Riftwolf
2019-10-20, 12:37 PM
Y'know, I'm still debating in my head, but you certainly make a compelling case with regards to this theory.

There'll be bonus strips giving it the real ending in the print version. We're currently at the start of the final book, and it's not very dramatic so far.

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-20, 05:24 PM
There'll be bonus strips giving it the real ending in the print version. We're currently at the start of the final book, and it's not very dramatic so far.
Roy is good, beer is great, and Belkar is crazy. (like a fox)

Jasdoif
2019-10-20, 07:44 PM
After thinking about it, I've come to a conclusion that may be controversial: Yes, 1181 was the end of the book.So...we're currently in some sort of interstitial?