PDA

View Full Version : So... Wendy's has a TTRPG now.

Vogie
2019-10-04, 11:28 AM
It seems to be based on a 5e/Darksun Variant style of play (rolling 4d4 for stats)

Always Fresh, Never Frozen... Strawberry Lemonade Heals 1d12 HP, and if you're eating Wendy's Fries while playing, you have +1 INT for some reason.

3 Classes, 14 subclasses, but nothing past level 5.

The 97-page PDF Also includes a 5 chapter adventure.

https://www.feastoflegends.com/images/Feast_Of_Legends.pdf

Thoughts?

ngilop
2019-10-04, 12:46 PM
If you take away the food based stuff and slap in standard fantasy names for things.

Also ignore the whole *do something in real life get in game bonus for it* the rules are actually good.

I can see getting my friends to play this and having a blast.

Celestia
2019-10-04, 01:25 PM
First a KFC dating sim, and now a Wendy's RPG. What is this timeline?

Afghanistan
2019-10-04, 01:32 PM
Running a game of it for me and my friends tomorrow night. Pretty hype. But instead of actually getting Wendy's we're also going to try and cook some of the food from Wendy's at home for an extra bit of fun.

Willie the Duck
2019-10-04, 01:35 PM
Yeah, who would think that food (https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Vintage-Drink-Coca-Cola-Ping-Pong-Paddles-1950s-1960s-era-/153124434886)companies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_the_Chuck_Wagon)would (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo!_Noid)sponsor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.C._Kids)games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Spot)as advertising (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chex_Quest)?

Imbalance
2019-10-04, 01:37 PM

Surely that wrought in payment by those culinary Faustians, Sanders and Thomas.

oxybe
2019-10-04, 01:56 PM

Ever since Sans Undertale got into Smash, more and more I've been thinking we're in the good timeline. I think this news is confirmation.

Scripten
2019-10-04, 04:08 PM
Yeah, who would think that food (https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Vintage-Drink-Coca-Cola-Ping-Pong-Paddles-1950s-1960s-era-/153124434886)companies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_the_Chuck_Wagon)would (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo!_Noid)sponsor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.C._Kids)games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Spot)as advertising (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chex_Quest)?

Between this and Cool Spot and Chex Quest, a lot of these marketing games are surprisingly good. With a few small touch ups and a better adventure, this would be a fairly awesome TTRPG.

weckar
2019-10-04, 04:27 PM
Not familiar with the company, but the game looks pretty solid.

Feddlefew
2019-10-04, 07:36 PM
I'm just mad there's no mechanical benefit for bringing the GM food. :smallwink:

The Glyphstone
2019-10-04, 11:36 PM
Between this and Cool Spot and Chex Quest, a lot of these marketing games are surprisingly good. With a few small touch ups and a better adventure, this would be a fairly awesome TTRPG.

Chex Quest remains the best Doom game ever made.

LudicSavant
2019-10-05, 12:09 AM
Ever since Sans Undertale got into Smash, more and more I've been thinking we're in the good timeline. I think this news is confirmation.

In the good timeline he has a unique moveset.

Archpaladin Zousha
2019-10-05, 10:39 AM
They're hoping that the glitzy rules and jokes will distract you from their opposition to universal workers' rights and the fact that they pay their employees less than McDonald's does. :smallannoyed:

FaerieGodfather
2019-10-05, 12:27 PM
They're hoping that the glitzy rules and jokes will distract you from their opposition to universal workers' rights and the fact that they pay their employees less than McDonald's does. :smallannoyed:

Well, that certainly backfired. I never heard about any of that until after Feast of Legends was announced.

I enjoy Wendy's, and I'm enjoying the glow of this marketing stunt, but their labor practices are something I have to think about now... that I never had to think about before.

RedMage125
2019-10-05, 01:09 PM
I'd give it a shot, i heard about it yesterday, and the review said that while it's not robust enough for a long running campaign, it is very fun, and worth playing with some friends.

I'm just mad there's no mechanical benefit for bringing the GM food. :smallwink:

In college, that was worth XP. People who bring me food get some XP. 100 if they order pizza that I get to eat but do not have to pay for. And carrying my (rather heavy) bag of books was worth "pack mule XP". And while some scoffed at it, the guy who did it every session eventually levelled up a whole session before everyone else.

GrayDeath
2019-10-05, 02:01 PM

Bribing the DM with his favourite Food doesnt need a rule benefit, as it already has the benefit of the God(s) of the World you play in smiling upon you ^^

weckar
2019-10-05, 02:49 PM
In the good timeline he has a unique moveset.Also got Goemon, still good timeline.

And while some scoffed at it, the guy who did it every session eventually levelled up a whole session before everyone else.That eventuality may be exactly why they scoffed.

Luccan
2019-10-05, 05:49 PM
Seems like it could be interesting, if it weren't a giant ad. As is, I don't know if I would play it. If it were subtler that'd be nice

Max_Killjoy
2019-10-05, 06:34 PM

Well, that certainly backfired. I never heard about any of that until after Feast of Legends was announced.

I enjoy Wendy's, and I'm enjoying the glow of this marketing stunt, but their labor practices are something I have to think about now... that I never had to think about before.

I don't think Wendy's not being brow-beaten into joining a program regarding field-grown tomatoes when they get all their tomatoes from hydroponic growers is worth injecting politics into a gaming thread.

It seems to be based on a 5e/Darksun Variant style of play (rolling 4d4 for stats)

Always Fresh, Never Frozen... Strawberry Lemonade Heals 1d12 HP, and if you're eating Wendy's Fries while playing, you have +1 INT for some reason.

3 Classes, 14 subclasses, but nothing past level 5.

The 97-page PDF Also includes a 5 chapter adventure.

https://www.feastoflegends.com/images/Feast_Of_Legends.pdf

Thoughts?

Shows how different the public perception of RPGs is now.

There was a time when a mass market company like Wendy's wouldn't have touched anything resembling an RPG with a 20-foot-poll.

Slipperychicken
2019-10-05, 07:15 PM
Does anyone actually eat that trash? Their PR is on point, but putting that stuff in my mouth always feels like a mistake.

I have an instinctive aversion to ads, so I'm really trying to not read it. Maybe if some enterprising soul adapted it to a generic fast-food-themed rpg.

FaerieGodfather
2019-10-05, 07:32 PM
Does anyone actually eat that trash? Their PR is on point, but putting that stuff in my mouth always feels like a mistake.

I have an instinctive aversion to ads, so I'm really trying to not read it. Maybe if some enterprising soul adapted it to a generic fast-food-themed rpg.

On a regular basis. They're my third-favorite burger joint, and my top two don't have locations within a hundred miles of my home.

Max_Killjoy
2019-10-05, 08:03 PM
I don't eat a ton of fast food, but if I'm in a hurry I'd much rather have Wendy's than McD or BK. They've always been a stop up from most other fast food burger joints.

Cluedrew
2019-10-05, 08:38 PM
Wendy's was one of the last fast food places I stopped eating at. Still whatever questionable (to keep things polite) practices that multi-national corporation might have I think the most interesting thing about this is someone made a table-top role-playing game as an advertisement. I think that speaks of acceptance and broader appeal now.

oxybe
2019-10-05, 09:34 PM
I actually like how blatant they are on the advertising.

from the world map refrencing Carl Jr's, Long John Silver, Jack-in-the-box and Panda Express to mention of a creepy king in a paper crown and the fight against an ice clown they could only be more blatant by calling things outright.

the 12 classes (orders) that draw directly from wendy's menu is just a tip of the iceberg.

they are revelling in how they are making no attempt at hiding the marketing, and went all out. This has actual production values.

the "iconics" look cool, the Frysta monster wouldn't be out of place in a D&D monster manual (it looks like a cross between an illithid and ice elemental) and the Jester is, visually, a suitably menacing villain.

Yes this is blatant marketing, but it's free, it's campy and it's all in good fun.

Kane0
2019-10-06, 02:43 AM
I’m Australian so I wont be needing to worry about the food based nerfs and buffs. Looks fun, especially for free

Sir Chuckles
2019-10-06, 01:42 PM
There're are a few hiccups in undefined terminology and references to keywords that don't exist, but it's a shockingly playable system with more production value than some official RPGs out there.

The little module that comes with it is surprisingly thought out, with side quests and an old-fashioned quest involving a mystery item at the start of the campaign that eventually turns into high-end tools later on.

Anonymouswizard
2019-10-06, 04:39 PM
Also ignore the whole *do something in real life get in game bonus for it* the rules are actually good.

I can see getting my friends to play this and having a blast.

Yeah, those rules are always the worst. I didn't get into Warhammer: Age of Sigmar when I realised that to use a competitive Empire army I'd have to spend months growing a mustache (oh, and I just didn't like the system or setting).

But seeing that they wouldn't matter to me, I'd probably be all for a comedic food-based fantasy RPG if I could understand the references. Sure I can likely get some of it, but me and my friends are probably going to hey a bigger laugh if I take 5e and homebrew it into something we'd understand.

Incorrect
2019-10-07, 06:20 AM
Its nice to see the hobby become popular enough to be used as a marketing gimmic.

But wake me up when there is an ttrpg based on workouts or healthy food.

Feddlefew
2019-10-07, 08:39 AM
Its nice to see the hobby become popular enough to be used as a marketing gimmic.

Trust me when I say 1) it probably exists and 2) it's probably very badly made.

Or it's someone's class project which will never see a broader audience than their classmates and instructor.

But let's say we want to make one. Like, how would we go about making a TTRPG about healthy living habits that doesn't come across as moralizing? Or acknowledges that healthy lifestyles are very dependent on local culture and climate.

Or, more importantly, how do we write one which is factually correct? I mean we could probably make something decent about long term community-level health in a pre-industrial setting with the information we have now, but on an individual level? I've basically given up on trying to create an evidence based healthy diet and that is my field of study.* But the big problem is that every few years we learn that a popular healthy eating habit actually causes specific health problems, or the process of obtaining that food item in the quantities needed for everyone to enjoy it is unspeakably bad for the environment.

So we could make an entire game about keeping an adventuring party healthy on a long expedition, but I'm not certain what the target audience would be. Or we could make a village management board game, where you draw random map tiles and have to decide how to use the resources available to create a happy, healthy village. Basically I think a D&D style TTRPG would be a terrible way to go about this.

Edit: TL;DR: Making a fun TTG about playing as fast food items is easy, making a fun TTG about healthy eating is hard and requires a lot of research.

*If I'm being honest here I'm actually a biochemist looking at the social and environmental impacts on the food production/preparation end of things, not really the individual human health effects. So every time I see a new health food trend, I die a little inside as I ponder what level of environmental / social / economic damage is about to be unleashed into the world.

Imbalance
2019-10-07, 09:23 AM

While not a RPG, there exists both a board game and Wii video game adaptation of The Biggest Loser.

Max_Killjoy
2019-10-07, 09:28 AM
Trust me when I say 1) it probably exists and 2) it's probably very badly made.

Or it's someone's class project which will never see a broader audience than their classmates and instructor.

But let's say we want to make one. Like, how would we go about making a TTRPG about healthy living habits that doesn't come across as moralizing? Or acknowledges that healthy lifestyles are very dependent on local culture and climate.

Or, more importantly, how do we write one which is factually correct? I mean we could probably make something decent about long term community-level health in a pre-industrial setting with the information we have now, but on an individual level? I've basically given up on trying to create an evidence based healthy diet and that is my field of study.* But the big problem is that every few years we learn that a popular healthy eating habit actually causes specific health problems, or the process of obtaining that food item in the quantities needed for everyone to enjoy it is unspeakably bad for the environment.

So we could make an entire game about keeping an adventuring party healthy on a long expedition, but I'm not certain what the target audience would be. Or we could make a village management board game, where you draw random map tiles and have to decide how to use the resources available to create a happy, healthy village. Basically I think a D&D style TTRPG would be a terrible way to go about this.

Edit: TL;DR: Making a fun TTG about playing as fast food items is easy, making a fun TTG about healthy eating is hard and requires a lot of research.

*If I'm being honest here I'm actually a biochemist looking at the social and environmental impacts on the food production/preparation end of things, not really the individual human health effects. So every time I see a new health food trend, I die a little inside as I ponder what level of environmental / social / economic damage is about to be unleashed into the world.

I work in the food industry (berries specifically) and that's pretty much my take on the thing as well.

What's "healthy" changes every week if you believe the media coverage, most of the studies show correlation not causation, and a few of the most influential "nutrition science" researches have turned out to be total frauds (see, the "small plates make you think you're eating more" guy).

My eating advice is "restrict your intake of obvious garbage, use moderation across your entire diet, find fruits and vegetables you like, don't be a fanatic or a fad-follower, beware of anyone selling things".

Anonymouswizard
2019-10-07, 10:03 AM
My eating advice is "restrict your intake of obvious garbage, use moderation across your entire diet, find fruits and vegetables you like, don't be a fanatic or a fad-follower, beware of anyone selling things".

My understanding was 'per day about a palm sized piece of meat or equivalent alternative protein source, a reasonable amount of carbs for your activity level, five or so decent pieces of fruit or vegetables, avoid over consumption of fats and sugars'. I understand that that's incredibly vague and probably fairly incorrect, but it was the one guigeline that worked for me. Also, cooking from fresh(ish) is a key thing, I have a much better idea of what goes into my food.

Drache64
2019-10-07, 11:02 AM
My friends and I eat pretty healthy, we love to cook our own food make stuff from scratch etc.

But I do plan on inviting them over for a game night, grabbing their Wendy's order and using their order as character creation (My wife will obviously be the Order of the Baconator).

Then playing a one shot just for the lulz. Critical Role's experience with it looked so funny and fun.

Giggling Ghast
2019-10-07, 01:34 PM
What? I don't ... what is ... why ...

The Feast of Legends (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imlFxSr6oqw)

https://www.cnet.com/news/wendys-releases-feast-of-legends-fantasy-tabletop-rpg/

EDIT: Oh, I had no idea there was another thread about this. My apologies.

Anonymouswizard
2019-10-07, 01:37 PM
We already have a thread about this, it might be best to ask for a merge. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?599767-So-Wendy-s-has-a-TTRPG-now)

Segev
2019-10-07, 01:56 PM

I enjoy Wendy's, and I'm enjoying the glow of this marketing stunt, but their labor practices are something I have to think about now... that I never had to think about before.Meh, it's not like McDonald's isn't always hiring; if people dislike Wendy's as an employer, they can apply elsewhere.

I have an instinctive aversion to ads, so I'm really trying to not read it. Maybe if some enterprising soul adapted it to a generic fast-food-themed rpg.I like frosties, and their nuggets are as good as anybody else's. I'd rather eat a McDonald's hamburger, though. McDonald's's milkshakes have gone down in quality; haven't tried Wendy's's.

...having proper names that include possessive apostrphe-ses makes for weird spelling when speaking of product lines belonging to those companies.

I find it intriguing that these fast food companies are making games as marketing. The best marketing, these days, tends to be product placement that looks seamless, rather than hokey, and I don't see how they can manage this without being hokey about it.

Rynjin
2019-10-07, 03:17 PM
The book strikes a very delicate balance between "silly and fun" and "hokey", as you put it. It has clear EFFORT put into it, which makes it endearingly silly rather than a forced marketing attempt. There was a lot of thought put into the parody aspects and whatnot, and the ruleset is surprisingly tight.

The only real sense of "laziness" to it is that a lot of the Orders share abilities between them, but there are enough unique ones to make that easily overlooked.

Luccan
2019-10-08, 01:45 AM
Looking at the actual rules, I might be willing to give this a shot if I could get people to play, but I hope whoever did the actual design for this releases an expanded ruleset without the advertisement draped over it.

Zhorn
2019-10-08, 10:16 AM
Was really looking forwards to seeing the one-shot of this the Critical Role team did of this one last week.
Really kicking myself for not watching it live (for a change of pace I was actually home during their live streaming hours).
But no upload :smallfrown:

It was all in the name of fun, friends, foods and bad puns (bad puns are the best puns :smallbiggrin:), but some folks decided to direct their misplaced anger at the CR team, so the video's been taken down off twitch and no upload to youtube.

Malphegor
2019-10-09, 03:08 AM
It's pepsiman all over again, gimmick advertising via tie-ins weird enough that people spread the word themselves.

Every time someone says 'isn't it weird that Wendy's has a ttrpg' is when a marketer gets their wings.

Evil DM Mark3
2019-10-09, 07:01 AM
First a KFC dating sim, and now a Wendy's RPG. What is this timeline?Consider it the random discharge as the temporal engineers try and drag us back onto a sane one.

Segev
2019-10-09, 12:25 PM
It's pepsiman all over again, gimmick advertising via tie-ins weird enough that people spread the word themselves.

Every time someone says 'isn't it weird that Wendy's has a ttrpg' is when a marketer gets their wings.

In that case, I guess they deserve a "well played."

oxybe
2019-10-09, 11:26 PM
Consider it the random discharge as the temporal engineers try and drag us back onto a sane one.

Tell the engineers to wait. I'm curious to see where this goes.

CiceroLelouch
2019-10-12, 06:47 PM
Wendys for some reason went and made a 5e mod where you can pick such classes as Order of the Chicken Nugget.

My issue so far is i cant find the battle maps shown in the book anywhere on the website. Any ideas?

Link pdf: https://www.feastoflegends.com/images/Feast_Of_Legends.pdf

Tawmis
2019-10-12, 06:53 PM
See this existing thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?599767-So-Wendy-s-has-a-TTRPG-now

(It can be hectic trying to keep up with threads; I only knew of the existing one because I'd come here to post the same thing and did a search for "Wendy's" before posting - not many results so it was easy to spot that it'd already been posted)

CiceroLelouch
2019-10-12, 06:58 PM
Is there anyway to get the Battlemaps from the book? or are they available anywhere?

Chauncymancer
2019-10-16, 09:14 AM
We've finally arrived at a place where we can be transparently pandered to by the mainstream media.
I'm so proud of us all *sniff*

Tawmis
2019-10-20, 04:45 PM
I am already working on an idea...

Of a Night Hag, in a Coven, finding the party - and touching each of them and pulling them all into this weird, distorted reality...

Where I will have Wendy's based characters (with things relating to their existing D&D characters)...

The party goes through the adventure and after defeating the big back at the end...

Awakens from the odd dream/nightmare... confirming they all had the same dream.

This sounds too fun not to do as a one off.