PDA

View Full Version : I challenged a dragon

Chronos
2019-10-04, 02:46 PM
A bit of background: My character (an 11th-level UA variant ranger) is basically a big-game hunter, specializing in monstrosities and dragons. Well, last weekend, we realized a lot later than we should that that hawk-that-clearly-wasn't-a-hawk who was watching us was actually a dragon. And wait a moment-- which kind of dragons are the ones who can change their shape? Oh, right, the metallic ones. The very old metallic ones.

Hello, Mr. Ancient Bronze Dragon.

Now, it's not socially acceptable to hunt metallic dragons. And if we tried, we'd get our butts kicked six ways to Marketday, anyway. But dangit, it's a dragon! An ancient dragon! I've just got to test myself against it somehow. And so, after all appropriate apologies and quest-givings are taken care of, I challenge it. To the game of its choosing, with the stakes being a large gem vs. bragging rights: If the dragon wins, he gets the gem, and if I win, I get to tell everyone that I bested an ancient bronze dragon.

That's where the session ended. The dragon took me up on the offer, to be resolved after the quest it gave us. The DM hasn't yet decided what form the game will take.

Of course, the darned thing about it is, even if I win, the party bard (who, after some very clutch Perform and Persuasion rolls and a 22 Cha, has become legendary) is probably going to end up being given all the credit.

Wuzza
2019-10-04, 02:53 PM
I cant help but refer to Bogus Journey..... It's the ultimate test of wills.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5ryowAyLk

GlenSmash!
2019-10-04, 05:24 PM
I cant help but refer to Bogus Journey..... It's the ultimate test of wills.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5ryowAyLk

Somebody is in for an Ancient dragon melvin.

GreyBlack
2019-10-04, 07:23 PM
A bit of background: My character (an 11th-level UA variant ranger) is basically a big-game hunter, specializing in monstrosities and dragons. Well, last weekend, we realized a lot later than we should that that hawk-that-clearly-wasn't-a-hawk who was watching us was actually a dragon. And wait a moment-- which kind of dragons are the ones who can change their shape? Oh, right, the metallic ones. The very old metallic ones.

Hello, Mr. Ancient Bronze Dragon.

Now, it's not socially acceptable to hunt metallic dragons. And if we tried, we'd get our butts kicked six ways to Marketday, anyway. But dangit, it's a dragon! An ancient dragon! I've just got to test myself against it somehow. And so, after all appropriate apologies and quest-givings are taken care of, I challenge it. To the game of its choosing, with the stakes being a large gem vs. bragging rights: If the dragon wins, he gets the gem, and if I win, I get to tell everyone that I bested an ancient bronze dragon.

That's where the session ended. The dragon took me up on the offer, to be resolved after the quest it gave us. The DM hasn't yet decided what form the game will take.

Of course, the darned thing about it is, even if I win, the party bard (who, after some very clutch Perform and Persuasion rolls and a 22 Cha, has become legendary) is probably going to end up being given all the credit.

If this doesn't happen, I will be very disappointed in your DM.

https://xkcd.com/393/