PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight build question

Mwhawk2
2019-10-04, 10:02 PM
I’m working on a n EK build for a long, home brew campaign my buddy is working on and I’m torn between building a Fire Genasi (for the +2 CON and +1 INT) or a Variant Human(extra feat, plus 1 to all stats) or a Levistus Tiefling(plus 2 to CHAR and +1 to INT). Im thinking of making him a polearm or great sword fighter, but not sure which synergizes best with EK (if at all). Does anyone have any experience with EK? I’m not 100% sold on the racial or weapon options, so if you’re u have had experiences with a non-standard build, please share. Thus will be my first fighter, so I’m a noob to this class and I want to build a character that isn’t pigeon holed into being an effective combatant but crappy in RP or great in melee but lacking in range /defensive options. Just seeking a unique yet balanced build. Any suggestions? Again this is a home brew campaign, we will be starting at level 2 and working our stats out via point buy (which I hate lol) any help or comments are greatly appreciated!

claypigeons
2019-10-04, 11:55 PM
Eldritch Knight can be very tanky, and in some level ranges can truly lay down the hurt compared to other classes.

EKs work very well with the SCAG Blade cantrips (booming blade, green flame blade), especially at 7th level with War Magic.

Take spells like Shield, Haste, Absorb Elements, etc. If you don't take spells that require a save, you can safely dump intelligence and focus on STR and/or DEX.

Variant human is a solid choice for the bonus feat. Great Weapon Master can serve you very well. Ritual Caster can even let you pretend to be a poor man's wizard if your party doesn't have one.

Definitely think about War Caster later to have your weapon act as your focus.

Tanarii
2019-10-05, 02:19 AM
Either. 2H weapons are usually a superior choice for EKs, because Sword and Shield runs into Somatic and Material component issues. Although you can invest in the War Caster Feat to mitigate that, especially for use with War Magic.

Be aware if you take the Polearm Master or Great Weapon Fighter Feats, you're wasting your best class feature War Magic. That's not to say don't take them, just be aware the damage increase has low synergy. It'll still work when you want to blast them with a ranged cantrip and chuck a javelin after though.

If you have access to the SCAG cantrips they are solid gold for EKs.**

EKs also have plenty of range options, better than other melee Fighters. That's the entire purpose of cantrips and Evocation spell access. To add ranged and AoE flexibility. And their defensive options from Abjuration are good too.

**side question for anyone: can you use the -5/+10 from GWM with an SCaG cantrip? AFB.

claypigeons
2019-10-05, 02:54 AM
**side question for anyone: can you use the -5/+10 from GWM with an SCaG cantrip? AFB.

Booming blade: As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.

GWM: Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon with which you are proficient, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If you do so and the attack hits, it deals +10 damage.

Pretty sure you can opt for the bonus damage even as part of a opportunity attack, as well, which further synergizes with War Caster.

Tanarii
2019-10-05, 04:03 AM
Pretty sure you can opt for the bonus damage even as part of a opportunity attack, as well, which further synergizes with War Caster.
Yeah, the SCAG cantrips are powerful, especially for EKs. But it only synergies well in the 7-10 level range, when you aren't giving up anything. At level 11 you're giving up an entire attack for it with a +10 damage bonus. Still far better than Shocking Grasp, Poison Spray, or Acid Splash, which were the original choices. They didn't synergize well at all.

claypigeons
2019-10-05, 04:20 AM
Yeah, the SCAG cantrips are powerful, especially for EKs. But it only synergies well in the 7-10 level range, when you aren't giving up anything. At level 11 you're giving up an entire attack for it with a +10 damage bonus. Still far better than Shocking Grasp, Poison Spray, or Acid Splash, which were the original choices. They didn't synergize well at all.

War Caster, not the War Magic feature. It lets you cast a 1-action cast time spell in place of an Opportunity Attack, as long as it only targets that creature.

War Magic is outstanding 7-11, and even after that, it's not bad.

4d6+(2*str mod)+20+2d8(+possibly the rider damage for movement)

Vs

6d6+(3*str)+30

At 18str, that's 51 average(+a possible additional 3d8, 13.5) vs 63 average.

It's comparable damage, and can be argued to be situational in use. And outside of the mechanical aspect, some people (myself included) just like to cast spells, regardless of whether it's slightly less damage.