PDA

View Full Version : Heroes Refers to OotS? (possible spoiler for the TV show)

alanajoli
2007-10-16, 07:59 AM
If you've been watching heroes, you may have noticed that in conjunction with Sylar, the writers seem to have this thing for adding cockroaches. I keep waiting for two cockroaches to show up at the same time and start making witty commentary.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-16, 08:05 AM
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_the_Order_of_the_Stick#Demon_Cockroa ches , the cockroaches appear to the a Mystery science Theater 3000 reference, so Heores could be referencing that.

Jimorian
2007-10-16, 08:55 AM
Actually, the wiki reference says the cockroaches comment much like MST3K, not that they're a reference to anything that ever happened in the show.

NerfTW
2007-10-16, 09:29 AM
Um, I think the cockroaches are a plot point, actually. Not a reference.

Best guess is that someone is following Sylar, using the roaches. I'm thinking the illusion lady is still alive, and the cockroaches might be what she's disguising herself as.

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-16, 09:33 AM
Um, I think the cockroaches are a plot point, actually. Not a reference.

Best guess is that someone is following Sylar, using the roaches. I'm thinking the illusion lady is still alive, and the cockroaches might be what she's disguising herself as.

What, after Nikki/Jessica punched her lights out... are you suggesting that Candice took massive damage, barely passed the Fort save and her power malfunctioned, turning her into la cucarachas?

alanajoli
2007-10-16, 10:13 AM
Oooh, that's a very Kafka-esque idea. ;)

I don't think it's *actually* a reference, though I'd love to know if any of the writers are gamers (and therefore likely candidates to be reading OotS...)

Twilight Jack
2007-10-16, 11:07 AM
Man is a narcissistic species by nature. We have colonized the four corners of our tiny planet. But we are not the pinnacle of so-called evolution. That honor belongs to the lowly cockroach. Capable of living for months without food. Remaining alive headless for weeks at a time. Resistant to radiation. If God has indeed created Himself in His own image, then I submit to you that God is a cockroach.

References, schmeferences. The cockroach has been a recurring motif in the show since episode one. Might it have a current further connection with Sylar? Perhaps. For now, I'm interpreting its presence near him as largely symbolic. The drive to adapt and evolve, utterly unencumbered by moral and ethical concerns, more or less drives Gabriel, especially since the death of his mother.

NerfTW
2007-10-16, 11:17 AM
What, after Nikki/Jessica punched her lights out... are you suggesting that Candice took massive damage, barely passed the Fort save and her power malfunctioned, turning her into la cucarachas?

You did watch this season, right? Candice

was holding Sylar someplace. He killed her and took her power, but couldn't get it to work, implying either he can't use any powers, or that she made him think he killed her.

Since a cockroach appears on the manhole cover he crawled/was dragged to, it's either connected to him or someone watching him.

But I forgot about the constant cockroach references and thier connection to Sylar. So it might just be symbolic.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-16, 12:30 PM
Sorry about getting confused (I thought it was saying that similar cockroaches were in MST3000).

Prince_Rohan
2007-10-16, 04:37 PM
If you've been watching heroes, you may have noticed that in conjunction with Sylar, the writers seem to have this thing for adding cockroaches. I keep waiting for two cockroaches to show up at the same time and start making witty commentary.

Since the whole show is a hack of the X-Men, why not rip off OotS while they are at it.

The honest illusionist
2007-10-16, 04:50 PM
The only thing Heroes really in common with X-Men is the 'normal people who discover that they have extraordinary powers' angle.

Oh, and Stan Lee's cameo.

...And the virus that only hurts mutants, but could potentially mutate to harm ordinary humans as well.

...Forget I said anything.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-16, 05:13 PM
Don't forget the first-season conspiracy that was just a lazier version of the semi-evil plot in Watchmen.

And Gabriel Grey, who has a penchant for Telekinesis, and gets other powers as the plot demands (back to X-Men) and is from Queens (may or may not be a Spider-Man nod).

Firestar27
2007-10-16, 05:27 PM
References, schmeferences. The cockroach has been a recurring motif in the show since episode one. Might it have a current further connection with Sylar? Perhaps. For now, I'm interpreting its presence near him as largely symbolic. The drive to adapt and evolve, utterly unencumbered by moral and ethical concerns, more or less drives Gabriel, especially since the death of his mother.

I always saw the cockroaches as symbolism for unable to be killed. When it's hard to get rid of something, you say they are just like cockroaches. In the first episode, Suresh compares god to a cockroach, saying that cockroaches are practically invincible.

The Extinguisher
2007-10-16, 05:31 PM
The cockroaces are just symbolism, IMO.

And Heroes isn't rip off of X-men beyond the whole, lets give them superpowers thing.

Infact, most of Heroes is about the characters beyond thier powers.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-16, 05:59 PM
So's the better X-Men stuff.

Shatteredtower
2007-10-16, 06:41 PM
So's the better X-Men stuff.You've got to wade through a lot more crap to find it, though -- and most of that only looks good through the distortions of nostalgia.

Mathias_Tanavar
2007-10-16, 06:48 PM
In Mohiders opening scene of the first episode he is lectering a uni class in Dehli about evolution. In this lecture he possits that if God made the ultimate being in his image then God is infact a cocroach, because Cocroaches can survive anything... That is where the roaches are from, perhaps as a little aside to say that he still lived, perhaps as Sylars greater religious theme as a whole (He was a watchmaker for example)

alanajoli
2007-10-17, 11:52 AM
In Mohiders opening scene of the first episode he is lectering a uni class in Dehli about evolution. In this lecture he possits that if God made the ultimate being in his image then God is infact a cocroach, because Cocroaches can survive anything... That is where the roaches are from, perhaps as a little aside to say that he still lived, perhaps as Sylars greater religious theme as a whole (He was a watchmaker for example)

I'd forgotten about that quote entirely until this thread--so hurrah for being reminded! I like the idea of Sylar as quasi religious--or anti-, given his equation with evil.

Kreistor
2007-10-17, 12:37 PM
Or there's a Hero that can control/see through the eyes of insects.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-17, 12:48 PM
Or there's a Hero that can control/see through the eyes of insects.

Wow! That'd be immensely cool, as would the idea of Candice (or Betty) manifesting as the roaches.

Yet, I feel the whole "symbolism" jazz is more likely. :smallfrown: